Police vs Speed Bump

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man.. That hurts to watch. So i wonder if he didnt see the speed bump or didnt realize how much it was going to flip him? Now that is a bad day at the office.

Notice how he sacrifices his hands sliding on the pavement to keep from grinding his face off. I wonder if that decision was cognizant or not?

This has been discussed ad Nauseum, and I don't want to jack this thread into "Never Ending Pointless...." territory, but for the absolutely love of PETE, I'll NEVER understand why Police motorcyclists don't wear a modular helmet. Something tells me that it would reduce their Worker's Comp. rates....

..for the absolutely love of PETE, I'll NEVER understand why Police motorcyclists don't wear a modular helmet...
Continuing the risk of NEPRT -- I asked my LEO brother this question. He is on the side of the current no gear/open face helmet outlook. The reasons he gave were on the same lines as (don't think, repeat after me, glazed eyes) dogma of Loud Pipes Saves Lives. They were points but there was no valid reason given. The officers need to be quickly and easily identified as a LEO (sew police id on a 'Stich?). Can't access gear like guns, writing tools, radios, etc. How hard would it be to add appropriate pockets and secure gun attachment point? Look at what they do to modify a street bike into a police bike, can't that be done to the rider's gear too? As a rider I cringe when I look at a LEO with no gear.

I donno where those guys work, but we have been in modular helmets for years. The pants and shirts still suck, but now we are even wearing armored jackets...sometimes.

Gloves are always a bitch because good armored gloves cause a big loss of dexterity and fine motor skills. Also, good fitting armored gloves are hard to put on and take off.

However; seems departments around here are getting the hint.

I donno where those guys work, but we have been in modular helmets for years. The pants and shirts still suck, but now we are even wearing armored jackets...sometimes.
Gloves are always a bitch because good armored gloves cause a big loss of dexterity and fine motor skills. Also, good fitting armored gloves are hard to put on and take off.

However; seems departments around here are getting the hint.
Seems like a good compromise would be to get good armored gloves, but cut the trigger finger off of the gloves. Wouldn't be perfect for decterity...but a compromise in a situation where the gloves couldn't be taken off before a gun was required.