Project KZ1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ain't no KZ1300 expert, but the one thing you didn't identify, with the RED ??? is the "cush assembly" for the output shaft.

ps: next time, use yellow text in yur Photoshop labels...MUCH easier to read. :finger:
Waah Waah Waah! Where's the Waaaah-m-b-ulance?

Yeah, the final pix looks ugly.

Like you.

n me! ;)

Ooh, I guessed right! Assuming Don's right . . . .

Is that safe to assume? :huh:
I sent an email off to TurboDuck to see if I'm right...

A couple of days ago, I purchased a spare sub-alternator from a guy named Dave up in Oregon, a dismantler, who had a complete sub-alt available. I don't need it, but could not pass it up..

So, for 200 USD it's on it's way to the Hondarasa!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Got my tank bank today - the locksmith retrieved the old broken key and made a new one based upon the code stamped on the key.

The gas tank lock/key was a mess, frozen up, so they replaced the stock OEM unit with a spare I bought on Ebay from Taiwan that was a direct replacement with new keys, o-rings, and nice chrome.

Had to laugh, the locksmith shop complained of the 'horrible' odor coming from the tank.. :lol:

Will get pix soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday got the gas tank locking cap fixed. My neighbor had broken the key inside the mechanism some 5 years ago. The locksmith did a great job, got the remainder of the key out, cracked the lock, got the cap to open. I had a replacement cap, from Taiwan, that he then installed. Not as nice as having 1 key for all, but what the hell, you don't always get what you want..

He also cut a new ignition key from the code on the old key, and it worked great!

WooHoo!

Here's the old cap on the tank.

2.jpg

Don

I'm sure you have seen this but just in case, this seems like a pretty good review on the CCT...

https://www.kz1300.co...-tensioner.html

Same site has a tech tips section and a writer who seems to know his stuff.

(Edit: Might be someone who could help you with the CCT and vibration issues)

Please disregard if you have already seen this.

Good luck!!

Don

I'm sure you have seen this but just in case, this seems like a pretty good review on the CCT...

https://www.kz1300.co...-tensioner.html

Same site has a tech tips section and a writer who seems to know his stuff.

(Edit: Might be someone who could help you with the CCT and vibration issues)

Please disregard if you have already seen this.

Good luck!!
Thanks Ross! I ordered an APE CCT but it was the wrong model - the ebay guy is great though, said return it, add 4 bucks for shipping and he'll send the correct unit out!

Look what arrived today?

Only the second kit sub-alternator for a KZ1300 I've ever seen.

The price? <VERY reasonable>

and I will use the source again..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I know, KZ1300 crap on a FJR forum..

but some might be interested...

Howie, you have the best avatar, EVER!

If you could just get a small pix of Tim under that...

Or have a label Tim on the left and Andrew on the right...

:fuck:

Hugs n' Kisses

:rofl:

Don -- Looking through the Seattle CL ads and lookie what I found...need another? Parts donor?

1981 KZ1300

'jes try'n to help! :)

--G
George, holy shit my neck snapped outta place when I saw this. And YES I am looking for a younger engine to rebuild! Who lives in Seattle? Barabus! Hmmmmm...

Thanks doode, like giving heroin to a baby, eh? :rofl:

Don -- Looking through the Seattle CL ads and lookie what I found...need another? Parts donor?

1981 KZ1300

--G
George, holy shit my neck snapped outta place when I saw this. And YES I am looking for a younger engine to rebuild! Who lives in Seattle? Barabus! Hmmmmm...

Don't live there but it's only six hours away. I could pick it up and store it until you're ready. :)

1981 KZ1300

--G

Don't live there but it's only six hours away. I could pick it up and store it until you're ready. :)
That is one hell of a nice offer, Ray, seriously. If I can contact the seller and it looks good, I just may take you up on it. I have not seen a KZ for that price, ever. If the motor is not grenaded... Sure hope this guy answers his phone. I found another KZ near me, 2 hours away, but no reply to phone or email.. :angry:

So I find this German site where they are making all kinds of repo KZ parts - stuff no longer available OEM. Here's an email I sent them..

Hallo,
Ich bin wirklich froh, Ihre Website gefunden haben. Ich bin der Wiederherstellung eine 1979 A1, ich lebe in Kalifornien, USA.

Es scheint, Sie haben viele Teile die ich brauche. Es ist schwierig für mich zu übersetzen Deutsch nach Englisch, aber ich bin auf einem guten Weg, dankGoogle übersetzen.

Ich habe nicht in ein KZ Motors haben, können Sie mir sagen, was dieser Teilfunktioniert? Was ist das der Zweck? Artikelnummer MCG 120531028-1. Ist es ein Bestandteil der Kettenspanner?

Ich bin sehr glücklich Sie sind die Fortsetzung der KZ1300 Teile Zuleitung, und es sieht aus wie ich verbringen werden einige schwerwiegende Dollar bald mit Ihnen.

Wenn Sie interessiert sind, hier ist meine Website dokumentiert meine wieder aufzubauen.

https://candybutt.org/cba/node/180

Ich bin auch der Wiederherstellung der beiden BMW - ein R60 und R69S.

Ja, ich habe die motobike Krankheit ..

So lange nun,
Man, was a tedious process!

...in English -

Hello,
I'm really glad to have found your site. I'm restoring a 1979 A1, I live in California, USA.

It appears you have many parts I need. It's difficult for me to translate German to English but I'm making good headway, thanks to Google translate.

I've not been into a KZ engine yet, can you tell me what this part does? What is its purpose? Part number MCG 120531028-1. Is it a component of the cam chain tensioner?

I am very happy you are continuing the KZ1300 parts supply line, and it looks like I'll be spending some serious dollars with you soon.

If you are interested, here is my website documenting my rebuild.

https://candybutt.org/cba/node/180

I'm also restoring two BMW's - a R60 and R69S.

Yes, I have the motobike disease..

So long for now,
Thanks to Google for GoogleTranslate :)

1981 KZ1300

--G

Don -- Niehart has a trailer and Auburn is less than an hour away. Between all of us here, we'll find a place to store it if it works out.

--G

So I find this German site where they are making all kinds...stuff no longer available OEM. Here's an email I sent them...Man, was a tedious process!...Thanks to Google for GoogleTranslate...
Ya might have axed BeemerDonS to wash that letter for syntax and grammar.
I was going to say something similar. The letter in German is readable, but very rough. Google doesn't translate anywhere close to perfectly. :blink: Let me know if you need a more refined translation in future correspondance.

So I find this German site where they are making all kinds...stuff no longer available OEM. Here's an email I sent them...Man, was a tedious process!...Thanks to Google for GoogleTranslate...
Ya might have axed BeemerDonS to wash that letter for syntax and grammar.
I was going to say something similar. The letter in German is readable, but very rough. Google doesn't translate anywhere close to perfectly. Let me know if you need a more refined translation in future correspondance.
Most English Only speakers don't realize how much syntax differences there are from other languages. About your concern with brute force translators being word for word and not a true translator -- You and I from the same page we are singing. ;)