Project KZ1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the gas tank ready for the locksmith. It's in the truck and ready to for delivery. My well-intentioned neighbor broke the key inside the lock. I have a new 'replacement' lid and lock, but I'd much rather keep the original. This should be interesting..

and today USPS delivered a new manual CCT - the stock ones are notoriously bad..

1.jpg

After reading some horror stories over on kz1300.com, I'll not start her up again until the new CCT is installed.

Making progress!

Dang, that looks familiar! :D

'bout time you got off yer ass and did some kind of update.

Following along with great interest. Keep at it, Don.

Spent most of Sunday working on the mighty KZ. Initial plans were to:

1. Check valve clearances
  2. See what she looked like without the barn door fairing (still contemplating cafe KZ!)
  3. Determine cam chain sloppiness and idler gear wear.

<Teaser pix, clicky here for full story>

1.jpg

When 4 cylinders are not enough...

3.jpg

Yes, it DOES take this many bolts to keep one valve cover on!

4.jpg

Cams are looking good!

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

For manual crank rotation, removed the left hand side alternator cover. In a previous post, I had removed the RHS.

8.jpg

UhOh

9.jpg

10.jpg

Man, am I glad I looked at this - it's the cam chain idler gear and it's about toast. Non longer available from Kawi, either. I think they are available from aftermarket though..

12.jpg

Part of the AIR induction system. Look at how rich it looks. Pure carbon..

17.jpg

Here is a video of how sloppy my CCT and cam chain are. At least it appears sloppy to me, I'm not a tech.. and the KZ1300 OEM tensioner is known to be crap. This engine will not run again until the manual APE is installed.

<Clicky here>

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, pretty black borders and everything. Does that mean the bike's dead????? :p

Ooh! Ooh! When it comes back to life, RH can post all his zombie pictures!!!! That'll be fun! B)

Pardon my KraZ-1300 ignorance O Master Carver, but what's the itty-bitty chain for? I see drive chains and timing chain, but I'm coming up empty imagining/figuring/deciding/thinking what the small one does.

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute!!! Do you have to split the case to change the timing chain??!?!?!

I was thinking oil pump, not knowing what it mated to in the other case, and maybe the little chain goes to the water pump?

Guessing blindly. C'mon Kwak-man, tell us true!

Dang Don, you're doing a "frame off" restoration to the "Nth" degree. That beast will feel like Dolly after WFO :huh: when you're done with it! Keep up the reports, good stuff, but I'll bet your keyboard has 10-40W on it!

What you are doing is way cool!

I can't wait to see the finished project
+1, Gunny; Very Impressive Don, Bravo!

You know, you'd have more room to work in your garage if you got those Beemer Slash-Two's out of the way; I probably could take them off of your hands for you, Buddy!

Pardon my KraZ-1300 ignorance O Master Carver, but what's the itty-bitty chain for? I see drive chains and timing chain, but I'm coming up empty imagining/figuring/deciding/thinking what the small one does.

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute!!! Do you have to split the case to change the timing chain??!?!?!
I honestly don't know but I think you might have to.

I'm curious what the (apparently) nylon gear running off the imtermediate shaft is for?

I was thinking oil pump, not knowing what it mated to in the other case, and maybe the little chain goes to the water pump?

Guessing blindly. C'mon Kwak-man, tell us true!
I'm hedging all my answers with I 'think' I'm right... see pix below

Dang Don, you're doing a "frame off" restoration to the "Nth" degree. That beast will feel like Dolly after WFO :huh: when you're done with it! Keep up the reports, good stuff, but I'll bet your keyboard has 10-40W on it!
True confession time, sorry for misleading.. That's not my engine, I found the pix a FB page of a guy who has a KZ1300 in his dismantling yard. It's the best pix I've found yet of a naked kz engine. I've not yet decided if I'll tear it down that far or not - hopefully not. If all goes well, I'll stop at removing the cylinder block.

What you are doing is way cool!

I can't wait to see the finished project
+1, Gunny; Very Impressive Don, Bravo!

You know, you'd have more room to work in your garage if you got those Beemer Slash-Two's out of the way; I probably could take them off of your hands for you, Buddy!
You interested in a 2 for 1 swap? :rofl:
Here's the configuration as I see it..

20.jpg

I ain't no KZ1300 expert, but the one thing you didn't identify, with the RED ??? is the "cush assembly" for the output shaft.

ps: next time, use yellow text in yur Photoshop labels...MUCH easier to read. :finger:

Latest posts