Pumpkining my '05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be interesting to hear how much the speedo is affected. I always trust my GPS speed rather than the speedo indicator, so it a comparo (if you have a GPS) would be frun to read.

Not to hijack but since the speedo vs GPS has been mentioned, I think my 05ABS reads quite a bit higher than the actual speed.

I know most bike speedo's are optimistic, but about how far off is the FJR?

Good luck with the final drive swap.

It seems like right at 5% buddy. Went thru one of those police radar signs on my new bike, with the tires just checked at their recommended 39/42, with just 30 miles on the clock, and showed a 38 with my speedo dead locked at 40. That's just 5%, which means that at 80 indicated, you'd be traveling at 76. And I said 'just' because all other bikes have had more than that. Worst offenders were my Suzukis (Hayabusa and SV1000), with 8% error. Hondas had right about 6%. Hope this helps.

JC

Not to hijack but since the speedo vs GPS has been mentioned, I think my 05ABS reads quite a bit higher than the actual speed.
I know most bike speedo's are optimistic, but about how far off is the FJR?

Good luck with the final drive swap.

My 04 FJR at 25 mph speedo is 24 mph GPS, 50 mph speedo is 51 mph GPS, 75 mph speedo is 73 mph GPS and 100 mph speedo is 98 mph GPS. This was at 17k miles on the bike, new Metzeler Z6's front and rear.

Picked up the unit from the UPS store.

It looks to be in good shape, They sent the drive shaft as well which was an unexpected bonus.

But...... and there is always a but with this kind of project

There is an extra port on the unit and the cover is missing.

I checked on my friends Vmax and that doesn't have this port either.

It is shown in the Yamaha schematic's for a 2001 Venture but not what plugs into the port and I had no luck looking through the other schematics unless it's on the left hand side bag

Any Venture Owners out there or people who have access to a Venture who can help?.

Drive Unit

2001VentureFinalDrive.jpg

Name that port

2001VentureFinalDriveDetail.jpg

2001VentureFinaldriveMysteryhole.jpg

1032_driveshaft.gif

Chris

Item #28, P/N: 4NK-83755-00-00 SENSOR, SPEED . Found it under "Electrical-2" on a 2002 Venture.

Its the Speedo sensor, so it should be okay to plug it.

Last edited by a moderator:
TODAYS UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the 4 nuts off the driveshaft connection. More tomorrow.

I retract my last remark about loving all the people on this forum. :fuck:

The unit is in the work's machine shop having a plug fabricated to seal up that extra port.

Since it's a home job and not for work it has zero priority so I have no ETA (Next week is what I get from the machinist but which week that will be (or which year ) :dntknw: ) for it.

I have searched high and low for a used 4NK-83755-00-00 SENSOR, SPEED or a 4NK-83755-01-00 SENSOR, SPEED in any condition and have had no luck except for a new one which was $215 CDN and a 3 week delivery from my local dealer.

IF YOU WANT TO SPEED UP THIS PROJECT FIND ME ONE OF THESE PLEASE.

I did spot a donor bike in the parking lot yesterday but even I wouldn't stoop that low just to satisfy the crowd on this board.

I'm hoping to get a rough fit done before WFO but at this point there is not enough time to evaluate the reliability and I'm not going to push my luck on an 8K road trip. If it all works out it should be fitted for CFR and EOM.

Chris

Maybe too late now, but you could have just cut an aluminum plate to shape, found a small bolt to fit, and used silicone RTV to seal. It's above the static fluid level, so only leak worries would have been due to splash, not a biggie. A low buck solution to a small problem.

egg-zack-ut-tilly what I would have tried --- "Maybe too late now, but you could have just cut an aluminum plate to shape, found a small bolt to fit, and used silicone RTV to seal."

It'll be interesting to hear how much the speedo is affected. I always trust my GPS speed rather than the speedo indicator, so it a comparo (if you have a GPS) would be frun to read.

LMAO Instead of reading 5% high, It will read 4% Low?? = the stated 9% change in the first post??

Just guessing here

egg-zack-ut-tilly what I would have tried --- "Maybe too late now, but you could have just cut an aluminum plate to shape, found a small bolt to fit, and used silicone RTV to seal."

Hell, Thread the damm hole and get a big bolt and plug the bitch. Prolly gottum at Lowes.. Justa thought.

Maybe too late now, but you could have just cut an aluminum plate to shape, found a small bolt to fit, and used silicone RTV to seal. It's above the static fluid level, so only leak worries would have been due to splash, not a biggie. A low buck solution to a small problem.

Looked at that solution and it looks like a POS.

:asshat: 's to both of you, Not on my bike thank you.

Chris

BugR - you realize the piece of aluminum with RTV sealant could be a temporary solution until you find the optimal real solution so you could at least see if the damned thing will fit up and before you spend any more on something that won't work, right?

One assumes the hole is too big for an oil or pumpkin drain bolt? Couldn't find a large diameter aluminum plug to thread into that hole?

Just tryin' to "hep". :D

Here, let me throw some gasoline on the fire for you......There, that ought to do it! :yahoo:

Dorman makes different sized expansion plugs that have a stud and nut in the middle that you tighten to get a good fit. You can probably find that at a good auto parts store. Its simular design to a drain plug on a boat transom. They make them in copper , too. :dirol:
https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91...31&item_no=

Thank you Toynut, finally a useful suggestion.

This is plan B,

Plan A :- word from the machine shop is it will be ready early next week.

For me the timing is perfect, I'm riding Sat with some folks from STN, Sunday Marshalling the Ducati Owners Track day and then NEXT WEEK I am changing my rear tyre in prep for WFO. I'll see if it fits then

(Now I know why Skyway has a short fuse).

Chris