Questions for those with an MBA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topspeed

Reaction score
I'm currently contemplating returning to school to get an MBA and have a few questions for those of you who have one. You know, the usual questions, was it worth it? What if any specialization do you have? Are you actually using it in your current employment etc?... I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts you might have. Reply here or by PM.

Topspeed

The only recommendation I have is to work while obtaining it, unless someone else is footing the bills for you, and thereby lessening the opportunity cost in your mind. That's what I did, under the (no longer available) "Flex" plan at Rice. Same program, not a watered down exec program, but three years to complete, rather than 2. PITA while doing it, but glad I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completed my MBA at UT-Austin (McCombs School) a couple years ago. PM me your phone number and I'll be happy to call you to discuss my experience.

In general though, there are a lot of schools offering MBA degrees. What you want out of your degree will be the big factor in which one is right for you. Are you looking to change careers, advance to a management position in your current career, create a higher ceiling in your career, open your own business, etc?

My personal opinion is that most US employees would be better served by mastering a second language. I see it time and again here at my company. Those that speak the language of the emerging markets (Latin America & China) have a real leg up in their careers. If it was me, I'd do that first and then the MBA.

I completed my MBA at UT-Austin (McCombs School) a couple years ago....
I got mine from a Houston Baptist University weekend program while I was in the Air Force. About half the teachers were part-timers of varying quality, the other half full time HBU professors who were pretty good. HBU gave me some useful knowledge and helps with getting an interview for large organizations, but it certainly wasn't life changing.

I work at a six year old Austin startup that was founded by two McCombs 'Executive MBA' school grads. Both were sent through this very expensive program by a big company that laid them off shortly after they graduated.

The thing that impresses me about the McCombs school is that those grads met many, maybe most, of the movers and shakers in Texas business. Our early investors and board members were all connected with McCombs in one way or another.

A top notch program like McCombs is more expensive, but if you are serious about private sector business it's probably worth it.

If you are in the military, education, or civil service where just getting the degree is the main point then an easier program like I did is fine.

Well, I don't really qualify because I didn't quite finish the MBA program. I was most of the way through when my then young family required my attention. I have an undergrad degree in management and I don't use that except for the general knowledge I got from it. I'm an engineer by trade and I focus on human factors and user experience. I'd say that the answer to your question depends on your goals. If you are planning to stay with the company you presently work for then the value of the degree depends on how that specific company values it. I know some very successful executives who don't have a master's degree of any sort. OTOH, some companies require the MBA before they'll take you seriously above a certain level.

If you are looking to change companies then the degree definitely helps put you ahead of the competition.

Both my wife and myself got our MBA's back in the early 90's. She works for the state gov't and got an immediate scoot up the ladder upon her completion, so it definitely paid off. My MBA's result is harder to determine. I was already headed up a path before I got it, and am on the same path. Not sure if it really paid off or not. But, on the plus side, there really is no downside, other than time and cost to obtain. I'd say go for it, it may open doors for you down the line.

@ bmwhd that's good advice about a 2nd language, already applies to me since I can speak and read Portuguese. Unfortunately, I guess I just haven't been looking in the right places because that hasn't helped me much over the last decade. Your words though have certainly got me thinking in another direction that I hadn't considered.

@ Dewey, PM coming your way.

I appreciate the thoughts all of you have written. I don't see an advanced degree being much good with my current employer. I'm pretty much as high as I can go, so I'm looking at this as a way to jump ship for greener pastures. To tell the truth I don't think anyone other then the new CEO or the therapists have any type of graduate degrees. I, unfortunately, just can't see myself becoming a therapist either, so its time to stop stagnating and figure something out. Once again, thanks for the advice.

TS

Greener pastures usually aren't (at least in my experiences).

Make sure that you have a solid plan on where you want to apply this new schoolin' before investing time (and $$) into pursuing that extra advanced degree. Making yourself an MBA with no specificity may be a step backwards in terms of opening horizons. If you have an angle on using that MBA with the life experience you already possess, then press on and get 'er done.

After all, an MBA only proves that you can tolerate a few more semesters of inane education, unless you have some other particular skilz you can couple it with.

Ask yourself, are you willing to compete with 20 somethings coming fresh out of bidness school for that new job? 'Cause you will lose that battle. They will take less pay, cost their employers less in bennis, work more hours, work harder, etc, etc. So unless you have some leg up on the competition, the degree alone is not gonna make the difference.

Lots of MBAs on the street drawing unemployment.

I'm jus' sayin...

OK, so I guess we can surmise that Fred W doesn't have an MBA.... or his is from a pretty shitty school. I know mine is more valuable than just proving that I went to a couple more semesters of inane shit. Kinda sounds like the folks that used to say that a college degree was "nuthin' but a damn piece of paper." In this economy, I'm glad I have that paper.

OK, so I guess we can surmise that Fred W doesn't have an MBA.... or his is from a pretty shitty school. I know mine is more valuable than just proving that I went to a couple more semesters of inane shit. Kinda sounds like the folks that used to say that a college degree was "nuthin' but a damn piece of paper." In this economy, I'm glad I have that paper.
Since you attacked me personally, I'll tell you. No I don't have an MBA, nor any masters degree. Nor any college degree. And yet, I seem to get by. Pretty damn well as an engineer in a high tech business, surrounded by guys with loads of degrees and papers and time spent in schools. And yet, I am the go-to guy. Go figure...

Since you attacked me personally, I'll tell you. No I don't have an MBA, nor any masters degree. Nor any college degree. And yet, I seem to get by. Pretty damn well as an engineer in a high tech business, surrounded by guys with loads of degrees and papers and time spent in schools. And yet, I am the go-to guy. Go figure...
Not going to lob in at all to this one other than to suggest that being the "go-to" guy is probably more a function of the person you are and the skills you have than the degree you have.

FWIW, IMHO, YMMV and all that, but I always thought that one thing that an MBA program should really get you is contacts in the industry you want to get into. Those contacts should get you into positions that aren't advertised so that you don't have to compete with a bunch of twentysomethings willing to work cheap.

I'm a commercial real estate broker who specializes in larger (100+ unit, $10 million and up) apartment building transactions. I'd like to get onto the buy/sell/develop side, but I think an MBA would quite likely be helpful if I wanted to join an institutionally-oriented firm (e.g., JP Morgan, Invesco, TIAA-CREF) or if I wanted to hang out my own shingle and develop smaler buildings on smaller sites (e.g., 16-50 unit deals).

I don't really have any experience on the development side and an MBA could probably assist with that. If I was going to go to grad school, it'd probably be either USC or UCLA which are both relatively local to me and prominent in our industry. Anything out of state would be a big problem. I definitely do not want to do the e-MBA type stuff. I want a real classroom with real interaction with professors and students. If I wanted an e-MBA I could go to the University of Phoenix.

Just my thought process to date.

Rancho

Not going to lob in at all to this one other than to suggest that being the "go-to" guy is probably more a function of the person you are and the skills you have than the degree you have.

FWIW, IMHO, YMMV and all that, but I always thought that one thing that an MBA program should really get you is contacts in the industry you want to get into. Those contacts should get you into positions that aren't advertised so that you don't have to compete with a bunch of twentysomethings willing to work cheap.

I'm a commercial real estate broker who specializes in larger (100+ unit, $10 million and up) apartment building transactions. I'd like to get onto the buy/sell/develop side, but I think an MBA would quite likely be helpful if I wanted to join an institutionally-oriented firm (e.g., JP Morgan, Invesco, TIAA-CREF) or if I wanted to hang out my own shingle and develop smaler buildings on smaller sites (e.g., 16-50 unit deals).

I don't really have any experience on the development side and an MBA could probably assist with that. If I was going to go to grad school, it'd probably be either USC or UCLA which are both relatively local to me and prominent in our industry. Anything out of state would be a big problem. I definitely do not want to do the e-MBA type stuff. I want a real classroom with real interaction with professors and students. If I wanted an e-MBA I could go to the University of Phoenix.

Just my thought process to date.

Rancho
I grew up in LA and my advice is.....

Choose USC... We have the best football team money can buy, great looking crimson and gold colors, awesome cheerleaders, a beautiful white horse with a Trojan rider and one of the best academic programs in the nation. I believe that I can speak from experience since I paid them so much money over the years for my education that they should name a building after me! USC also has the ability to humble those boys in South Bend Indiana! John Wayne went to USC! Need I say more!

On the other hand, you could go to UCLA and pay a lot less for your degree, where they have a lousy football team, wear blue and gold and also get a first rate education. (my older brother the MD went to UCLA) Your choice!

Degrees are an exercise in perseverance. Perseverance in my book is defined as putting up with the "Bull Shit" to get where you want to go. Do they make you smarter.... Probably. Do they open doors for you.... Probably Do they help you develop a network in your chosen field.... Probably. Will they make you emotionally intelligent... Hell no! In my experience the EQ is just as important if not more important than the IQ. Some of the smartest people on this forum don't have degrees or high paying jobs, but if you read their input on issues, you can see the depth of their comprehension and wisdom. A degree is like a drivers license that allows you access to something. That license does not mean you're going to be a thoughtful or competent driver.

I grew up in LA and my advice is.....
Choose USC... We have the best football team money can buy, great looking crimson and gold colors, awesome cheerleaders, a beautiful white horse with a Trojan rider and one of the best academic programs in the nation. I believe that I can speak from experience since I paid them so much money over the years for my education that they should name a building after me! USC also has the ability to humble those boys in South Bend Indiana! John Wayne went to USC! Need I say more!
University of Spoiled Children? :p

I remember that when I was growing up!

"Course, I went to University of California, Surfing Branch (figure it out) so I guess I don't have too much to say either!

I grew up in LA, so my advice is suspect, but.....
Choose USC... We have the best football team bribes can buy, great looking crimson and gold colors, awesome fake-breasted, tanning booth skinned, bleached blonde cheerleaders, a beautiful white horse with a Trojan rider who couldn't ride it over a jump to save his life and one of the best ego-boosting programs in the nation. I believe that I can speak from experience since I paid them so much money over the years for my education that they should name a building after me! USC also has the ability to humble those boys in South Bend Indiana, if not Washington or Oregon State! John Wayne went to USC (but don't hold it against him)! Need I say more!
University of Spoiled Children? :p

I remember that when I was growing up!

"Course, I went to University of California, Surfing Branch (figure it out) so I guess I don't have too much to say either!
OP edited for clarity and accuracy. :lol:

I always heard University of Surrounded Caucasians. (No offense to anyone intended, of course. USC is in a dicey neighborhood of LA. I wouldn't go to that neighborhood if I didn't have to. Werd.)

Besides, my two favorite football teams are Michigan and whoever is playing USC. So no way I could cheer on the football team.

They do have a lot of influential alumni, though, and a fair number of my clients are SC alum. Besides, my boss, a Santa Clara grad has nothing but contempt for SC folks, so that would be a plus...... ;)

Rancho

I should clarify my previous, hastily made reply last night. Although I personally hold no degrees, I am not opposed to higher education. Oh no, quite to the contrary, I believe in the value of a college education enough to have guided and encouraged (and funded) all 3 of my children to attain their undergraduate degrees, one of whom has returned to grad school after 2 years working successfully, and lucratively, in her chosen field to attain her masters degree as a Physician's Assistant. The third is completing his undergrad this year and has designs on returning to school some day after spending a year of service in Americorps.

My original point to the OP is that postgraduate education is better when applied to a specific goal in one's career rather than just taking the classes to get the sheepskin. My apprehension of a generic, undisciplined degree, especially in midlife, is that you are now competing for those generic job positions that your degree applies to with kids coming directly out of school, who will likely have more raw energy and fewer demands of the employer. In short, they will be more desirable to a prospective employer.

Plus, assuming that you are a WASP male, you probably already know that you are at the bottom of the desirability heap for hiring businesses these days. My observations at my kids' schools show that a very large percentage of the students there are most decidedly not (WASPs).

OTOH when using your life experiences and background to get you that new job, an applied degree can be what gets you in the door, or at least the icing on the cake.

But, maybe my blinders are on and I'm just too wrapped up in the sciences. I do not pretend to understand the way things work in higher bidness, so the whole MBA thing never made any sense with me. I see the MBAs in my company (there are a whole lot of 'em) making extremely stupid, seemingly uneducated, business decisions day-in and day-out. Most of them are just talking heads, regurgitating the latest "business speak", and constantly reorganizing themselves with the only purpose being the justification of their own existence, which in my experience is usually of limited duration. But maybe that's more of an indication of "who they are" rather than what their background is?

I just want to be clear that I am a big proponent of an applied secondary education. And as for me, I wouldn't encourage anyone to take the path that I have chosen, or should I say, stumbled down? I guess in my case the old Mark Twain saw would apply:

"I never let schooling get in the way of my education"

;)

Not looking this up right now, but seem to recall that several recent surveys covered in the news reported that those attaining MBA's from less prestigious schools were dissatisfied with the outcome and economic result of having done so. Especially now, it may be difficult to make career advancement that would pay for the effort (from a non-top school.)

On the other hand, getting and MBA from a top school, or as others have said, with a very specific, additive benefit, could be a big advantage.

Then again, on the other hand, some employers may think you overqualified and potentially "bored" with a role.

And on the other hand, it might also have you stand out as a candidate for new job or advancement.

I just have a BA, and had thought about getting an MBA several times over the two decades, but was too busy working in 34 countries and managing/working on multi-million dollar programs at organizations like NASA, Ford, Unilever, Times Mirror, etc. I've been blessed to do and manage a whole lot of stuff that most MBA's haven't. I love the work I'm doing right now with an excellent firm and a good future. My company pays for school and I wish I had time to go back. May do so next year for another bachelors or masters degree.

I've hired some terrific MBA's, and some who were morons with no common sense. There've been as many differences as there are shades of color. On the whole, my experience and expectation is that they've been sharper than the average staffer.

That said, the very best employee I've hired in the last fifteen years came to us with no college degree, and we hired her despite that being a listed qualification. She's been the hardest worker, quickest learner, most adaptable, most tenacious, emotionally intelligent, best performer I've had. She's recently gone back to school, though, and may get her MBA. And I'm proud to tell you that she's a peer now, and someone I could conceivably end up working for.

Damn, zippy! Don't let your wife hear you talking so favorably about this woman You'll make her jealous. ;)

This wasn't your wife you're talking about, right? Cause you already do work for her! :rolleyes:

:p

Damn, zippy! Don't let your wife hear you talking so favorably about this woman You'll make her jealous. ;)
This wasn't your wife you're talking about, right? Cause you already do work for her! :rolleyes: :p
My wife, though sharing many of the same qualities as the woman I'd hired (no college degree, very successful, etc.), knows her and perceives absolutely no threat, I can assure you. Note that there was no mention whatsoever about aesthetics with regard to my colleague. ;)