Quiting the Nicotine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
OK, so I've been addicted to Nicotine oh, for about 25 years...

I smoked from age 14 to about age 25... When my first son was born, my wife put her foot down and said no more smoking in the house. I agreed, but continued for a while, outside and while not at home. When winter came, I realized this was not a good thing. Standing outside in 0 degree weather to get my fix, just plain sucked.

So I did the next best thing, switched up to chew, or dip.

I've been 'dipping' since then or about 15 years.

-About a 5 can a week habit, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Quitting is easy. I've quit at least 4 times. Once for a whole 6 months, with the aid of 'the patch'.

I am clearly nicotine defendant. I am not very fun to be around w/o out it. Which really gives me pause for trying out or applying for shows like Survivor. :) I really don't want to melt down on national television. Thus I have not pursued a game/reality show career.

Well, it's time. Time to quit.

While my mouth/gums/teeth are generally healthy, my dentist has pointed out that I now have 'lichen planus', which isn't cancerous, but is irritating. It's also fairly common so I hear.

I have tried and will use a number of coping methods. I'll chew gum, toothpics and what not to help, and may try the patch again.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have quit, and been successful. If I were heading out on a two week bike trip I'd go cold turkey. But I can't do that to my wife/kids/co-workers. Especially not during these trying economic times.

Thoughts, suggestions?

-MD

Our own beloved TWN swore by hypnotism. However, he started back up toward and up to the end....

Best of luck, they say it's harder to kick than Heroin, so maybe some sort of professional help would be beneficial.

I saw a hypnotist once, when I was trying to quit 'smoking'... I think I'm too cynical for that to work :)

Yo Matt,

I've been off nicotine for about 13 months now. This last time, I used that new prescription drug, Chantix. It's the best thing ever. I started with the patches at the same time, but threw them away after three days. Read up on it and go see your doc for the scrip. It'll help.

Please note that I'm not only a guy who tried every possible way to quit about a zillion times, but I smoked right through two years of a National Cancer Institute Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship on cancer prevention strategies. I know what's out there and how well it works -- both professionally and personally. This shit rocks.

Like all prescription drugs, there are a few pages of warnings of potential side effects. The only one common enough to actually worry about is weight gain as you come off the drug. I was starving. I put on about 30 lbs. No big deal -- I'm taking that off now and you can always do it later. The negative health effects of the weight gain are far outstripped by the positive effects of ditching tobacco. Take these issues one at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
November 20 1995 at 1:00 in the afternoon I lit my last smoke. I told myself that was it, no more. For the next 2 weeks I was miserable, mean and nasty! Then it went away, I have no desire for tobacco anymore. Although I will have a really good Cuban cigar once or twice a year. The real thing about it was I told myself that was it! No more! Cold turkey. It was very hard to do but you must want to quit. I look back and feel it was very easy after all.

Rob

Good Luck!

I also quit many times before it took. Like fjrob1300 one day I just told myself that this was it, no more. And like him I was a bear for a few weeks but then it went away. More recently a couple of friends have quit (one is going on 2 years smoke free) with the pill like squeezer did so you might want to give that a shot.

Whatever the method go for it. You'll feel better and probably live longer.

Good luck.

It's not easy to quit. I've been smoke free for about 5 years now after smoking for over 25. The secret is to just keep trying, eventually it'll stick and you'll quit B)

I smoked for some 25 years, even through some health issues way back when. One day while driving between some siesmic camp sites out on the frozen Beaufort Sea in March of '89, I was seized by a coughing fit that would not quit. I got out of the pickup, (in minus 50 °, with a damn breeze) and leaned against the side of the truck for about 10 minutes coughing my lungs out. When I finally got coughed out, I took a couple of deep breathes and reached into my jacket to get a smoke. Just as I started to light up, my brain finally kicked into life and revealed my stupidity to me in a huge "aha" moment. (There have been other vice transgressions, for which I should have had "aha's for in life, but you take what you can get!) Anyway, I tossed the pack in the back of the pickup and have not had a puff since. Lucky me!

I too, smoked and or chewed. Quit many times...then finally it took.

However, the only way I could go cold turkey was to quit alcohol at the same time as the alcohol would lower my resolve, and quit hanging around friends for awhile that smoked...as that would remind me of the temptation.

I worked construction at the time...and even the used butts laying around the construction site were mighty tempting that first week. It took about a week to a month to get ride of the physical effects/cravings. The mental/psychological/will issues lasted for about a year.

From my point of view...it is the WILL to live without it. I had to tell myself that I had NO choice...there was NO alternative to this course of action. It was tough, no question about it.

It can and WILL BE DONE...IF YOU SET THE HARD COURSE AND STICK WITH IT. Just don't make it harder for yourself by having smokers around you or imbibing alcohol for the first month.

It's hard...but it can be done...do you REALLY want to? Are you willing to do anything required to stop?

If so, do it. Set a time to quit soon. Then stop...and don't let wild horses drag you back.

It's for you...and your family...don't worry about your coworkers...they can and will deal with it.

Let us (me) know how you get on Matt.

all i hear from my wife these days is when are you gonna quit smoking!!!!!!!!!

It must be nearly time.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
I overheard a conversation behind me in line at a variety store many years back:

Lady - "I swore I was going to quit when the price hit $1.00 a pack, but they're still cheaper than a buck if you buy 'em by the carton".

There's a justification either way. Pick your path, then walk it.

I used to smoke, too....

I've got a brother-in-law that has quit both, and he claims quitting dipping is 50 times harder than smoke.

It's been over 15 years for him and he still craves it.

He just got tired of the constant price increases and "just said no"...

Good luck!

I also chewed but only for about 10 years. I finally decided I needed to quit and as I slowly narrowed the number of times per day that I did it I noticed that I tendend to chew when I did specific activities that allowed me to chew at the same time. This associaition allowed me to take the last step and quit much easier. By not doing those activities it was much easier to completely quit. Unfortunately a few of those activities were mow the lawn and wash the car ;-)

June, 28th, 1997, @ ~11:30PM was the last cigarette I ever smoke. Quitting was my 35th birthday present to myself. The key to cold turkey for me was pattern change: no coffee, no alcohol, no putting myself into situations or places where I wanted to smoke (which meant no going to bars either). The first 6 weeks really sucked, but it started getting easier and easier over time. Now, even just the faintest smell of cigarette smoke makes me nauseous.

I am a smoker and I haven't really tried to quit in awhile.

I think I would try the reducing your intake gradually over time. A can of dip a day sounds like alot of nicotine. Get it down to something kinda lighter. Do this for a period of time so your body adjusts.

Then go to the doctor and get the pills.

I heard that stopping drinking and caffine was also good (for stopping smoking) and this to me sounds impossible, but it would be Ok for a few weeks.

Others have quit, you can too. Thanks for reminding me again.

Art

Quit in 2000 just after the july long weekend

COLD TURKEY

I tried everything else and would always restart

One time I was chewing the gum, had a patch-on and a cigg hanging out of my mouth

I tried hypno/lazer/acupuncture

Finally did the cold turkey thing

Rough couple weeks

Once I could laugh again I was OK

When the cigs went so did any sence of humor I had for a while

One day I went and rented a very stupid slap stick movie and it made me laugh - then I went and rented a few more

This really got me thru the tough stuff - I highly reconmend it

Remember - You will never just have one - remember the pain it was to quit - may get you from not taking a pinch/dip/drag

Later and all the best

I quit buy using the generic version zyban for a couple a weeks. I had chewed for many years and that really took the edge off. I also too the money I saved from chewing to buy motorcycle and hunting items. Good luck if you want to do it then it will happen.

I smoked for 25 years. It was my second attempt with the patch that worked for me. I weaned myself off the patch by gradually cutting them down in size.

Still want a smoke every now and then - it's been 14 years - but the thought leaves as soon as it arrives.

Latest posts