Radar detectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRK

Reaction score
I looked a few things up, and it seems that radar detectors are legal in BC. Any imput from the folkes up there? Don't really want to get a shake down at the boarder because of it.

FWIW, last summer I was in BC, radar detector mounted and on the entire trip - no probs, but I was on best behavior. :whistle:

In Canada, Radar Detectors are legal to use in the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan. They are illegal in all other provinces/territories.

I suppose I should leave the various handguns at home though right?
Oh, no. Canadians love 'em. But they do want you to carry out in the open. Right on your hip. Say "hi" to the official at the border for me. Call him "Dudley."
Well, heck, Mike. I didn't know that. I'll bring two then. Any info on whether it's ok to shoot at roadway signage from the highway?

In Canada, Radar Detectors are legal to use in the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan. They are illegal in all other provinces/territories.
What? :angry: What da heck are ya up 'dere? A buncha commies? :unsure:

I guess the next question is: what is the penalty for using a radar detector vs. the penalty for getting caught speeding? :unsure:

I guess the next question is: what is the penalty for using a radar detector vs. the penalty for getting caught speeding? :unsure:
Penalty is simple..... If you are deemed rich, then the authorities will take away your radar detector and give it to the poor

Penalty is simple..... If you are deemed rich, then the authorities will take away your radar detector and give it to the poor
I think that bill is sitting in congress over here right now...

There needs to be some clarification here. I can't say for sure for all the 'behind-the-times' provinces, but for at least some, it's not the use that is unlawful, it is possession. Wither you are/were using it or not, it can be confiscated! Replacement will most likely cost you more than the ticket. Where the real value comes in for us Canadians is the cost of insurance increases due to tickets. When I had one that worked, I used it in all Provinces I traveled in.

And this is just another plus for the western provinces... has anyone hit up Bel for a door prize? :-D

(It's ironic that Bel Electronics, a world leader in speed detection detection technology, is HQ'd in ON... where their product is 'illegal'.)

What? When did Canada become the 51st state? I've got to get away from this board.