Regular fuel vs Premium fuel?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run regular 87 octane for the riding season. Then when I prepare for Winter, I fill with 93 octane. I only do this because the 93 is ethanol free.

If I manage to sneak in a few rides over the Winter I top off with the ethanol free fuel.

Directly from the Owners Manual:

Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number [(R+M)/2] of 86 or higher, or a research octane of 91 or higher. If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel.

Here in good ol' Oregun we don't have self serve stations but one can obtain access to commercial fueling stations that are self serve that's if you have a card that works. The commercial station I use has non-ethanol premium at a really good price so most of the time my bikes get premium. In summer with all the tourists around it's nice to pull into a commercial station and do your own thing and not wait in line. Also, funny to watch the tourists come into the commercial station and loose their minds when none of their credit cards will work.
rolleyes.gif

Here in good ol' Oregun we don't have self serve stations but one can obtain access to commercial fueling stations that are self serve that's if you have a card that works. The commercial station I use has non-ethanol premium at a really good price so most of the time my bikes get premium. In summer with all the tourists around it's nice to pull into a commercial station and do your own thing and not wait in line. Also, funny to watch the tourists come into the commercial station and loose their minds when none of their credit cards will work.
rolleyes.gif
I pulled into one of those commercial stations in NY near Albany one afternoon. That is the only one I ever saw in NY. My tank was pretty low and I was happy to see the pumps there. I was not too happy when I realized that I could not get any gas. I had to go into the city to get gas, which means lots of traffic and lights on every corner.
omg2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
rolleyes.gif
I do like my commercial accts. I have two of them.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RacinRay" data-cid="1406452" data-time="1538073431"><p>

I run regular 87 octane for the riding season. Then when I prepare for Winter, I fill with 93 octane. I only do this because the 93 is ethanol free. <br />

If I manage to sneak in a few rides over the Winter I top off with the ethanol free fuel.</p></blockquote>

This. But I always do ethanol free. That's normally the 93 octane. If no ethonal free, I do regular.

When needing long-term stability, instead of premium fuel, I'll look for an ethonol-free dealer of regular or add Sta-Bil. They're around enough to not be too far away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Colorado, everything is E-10 except for a few stations scattered around no matter the season. I do have a Maverick station a couple miles from my house that has E-0, but it's not cheap. I use it for my mowers, etc. I did try it in my Honda pick-up and it definitely has more pickup but probably not worth the extra cost.