Removing Panels A,b,c,and D

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramblin Man

Reaction score
If for some reason you need to remove the black panels hiding things like the battery and fuses, raise the front of the gas tank first. It will make the job a lot easier.

And before raising the tank, don't forget to take off the black (on the '05 anyway) plastic panels just beneath and behind it. Don't ask me how I know this. :(

Taking WC's tank string one more step...

...I took a plastic hook from a bungy cord (just the hook part), tied it to a piece of string with a loop on the other end, and I now have a ready-to-use, pre-sized, rope which I can hook to my givi rack in the back and loop around the tank plate and never have to re-tie/re-measure anything. I just keep it in my on-board tool kit, always ready to use.

I use bungee cords of the appropriate length, hooked to anything back there that applies proper tension. One for 1/2 tank or less, two if over 1/2. Be sure to unplug the wire harness when lifting tank for any extended period of time-or to ease access to the area below and gain more lift, your connectors will thank you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those plastic panels attached to the tank don't have to be removed. Just pop out the plastic rivet on each side and they'll rise with the tank. Two more screws you don't have to 'F' with. Try it, you'll like it.

FNG :eek:

She just pivots. No need to loosen. Keep in mind that the rear bolt goes through a slot, not a hole and the tank will slide back some (upon raising) so that the front bolt holes fall shy of the mark when you drop the tank back down. No prob, just gently rap the back of the tank forward with your hand, near the rear bolt, til the front holes line up.