Remus Hexacone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, dogpile the living shit out of me.. BUT -

what makes these better than HoleShot, StainTune, Bassani, Jardine, SuperTrapp, etc?
OK, consider yourself dogpiled... :D

It's the hex silly, the other pipes only come in ovals or circles...

Personally, I've got staintunes and like 'em

-bvw.

The Hexacones looked awesome... until I got to the damn springs. Geez, can't put freaking clamps on $900 cans for a sport tourer? They're out of the picture for me, but the innovative design looks otherwise great on the FJR. Later.

JC

Ok, I'm biased so listen to Niehart.

He had stock, he bought Leo's and a few weeks later, at WFO, he had us take the Leo's off and install Hexacones.

The look, the sound and the lifetime warranty add up. Ask Niehart about the condition of the Leo's after only a couple of months.

Jed

The Hexacones looked awesome... until I got to the damn springs. Geez, can't put freaking clamps on $900 cans for a sport tourer? They're out of the picture for me, but the innovative design looks otherwise great on the FJR. Later.JC
JC

Holy Crap...

SPRINGS!!!!! On a set of expensive performance exhaust!!!!! What will be next????

Mark my words....I bet before you know it them kids will be making them out of things

like carbon fiber and titanium. Just to up the PRICE!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

WW

OK, dogpile the living shit out of me.. BUT -

what makes these better than HoleShot, StainTune, Bassani, Jardine, SuperTrapp, etc?
Hey Dirt Bro,

You KNOW I have been one who constantly preaches about the needless $$$ spent on after-market exhaust systems. My world was perfectly fine until Niehart tapped me on the shoulder with his tiny little pitchfork and said "Hey Jeff, have you looked over there in that tent yet?" Bastard!!! He cost me money that I did not have for something that I did not need.

I didn't buy them for any type of power increase. I bought the Remus hex for three reasons; exhaust note/sound, looks, craftsmanship/materials.

Exhaust note - the Remus Hex has a fantastic tone. It's deeper, more rich than stock without being loud. It sounds like the bike should have sounded originally. It says... "I have some big hairy balls tucked away, so big and hairy that I don't have to show them to prove anything to you, Punk!". I like it much better than the stock exhaust note which says "I really do have a penith, even if I am a sewing machine."

I was very concerned about the new pipes being too loud for long, two-up riding. With the very nicely designed exhaust baffles in, the perceived (not measured) db level is very close to stock. Without the baffles in place, the perceived db level is "firm" but not loud". IMHO they are much more acceptable than holeshots in the sound department.

Looks - the Remus Hex is the first set of aftermarket pipes I have seen for the FJR, that look like they were designed for the bike. They could very easily pass for a stock-included exhaust system if you removed the labels. No need for me to waste 1,000 words on this subject. The pictures say it all.

Materials - What can I say, I'm partial to titanium and carbon fiber. We've been running titanium exhaust systems on dirt bikes for years and carbon fiber on aircraft. The Remus Hex is a very nicely crafted piece of equipment. Lightweight, strong, nicely fit and a lifetime warranty. You can tell a lot about the quality of them when you pull the baffles in/out. Those pieces and the hex cone that they seat into, all fit very well together. Tight without being too tight. You can't fit an odd-shaped piece that like without being willing to pay attention to detail. For me, that gives me confidence that what's on the inside of the pipe is made just as well.

Nuff said???

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, thanks for your opinions on the Remus. I'm waiting for FJR news tomorrow before I make any decision. :lol:

Hmmm, I wonder what they would sound like perched behind some Holeshot headers? Might have to start saving my corn.

Bill

Okay, I bit the bullet and ordered a pair for my '04 since I will be stuck with it for awhile.

I will post some audio as soon as I'm able...unless someone beats me to it. :clapping:

Put mine on last night, jeff ashe really summed up the sound.

The look and finish quality is first rate, although I am not super crazy about the springs.

Overall very happy!

The look and finish quality is first rate, although I am not super crazy about the springs.

Overall very happy!
Lake Powell,

Got any tips or info on the install procedure?

WW

I must have misread the UPS delivery statement... but it's now showing a delivery date of tomorrow... oh well, been too busy at work to install them recently anyway...

Overall very happy!
Lake Powell,

WW

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, I've been in Reno for the last week for the air races.

Since I read your baffle test on another thread it's obvious that your install went in correctly!

I didn't think it was too bad, did you?

Overall very happy!
Lake Powell,

WW

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, I've been in Reno for the last week for the air races.

Since I read your baffle test on another thread it's obvious that your install went in correctly!

LP,

Nope not at all. I really like the pipes. How are you running yours..Baffles in or out?

WW

Overall very happy!
Lake Powell,

WW

LP,

Nope not at all. I really like the pipes. How are you running yours..Baffles in or out?

WW

Running them in for now and will probably stay that way after reading your report about the differences.

Thanks for that write up, nice job!

It looks like the bolt for the baffle has a small spot weld to keep in place, is it that way on yours as well?

Thanks bud-