Rerouting throttle cables on Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Long

Reaction score
Is there a better way to route the throttle cables on the Gen II to create a smoother pull?

(note: I tried the spring unwind, and the throttle kept sticking open, so I put it back)

So far I've lubricated the cables and a G2 throttle tamer is sitting here waiting to be installed.

I'm planning on rotating the cable clamp housing on the bars to run over the brake lever (a tab has to be ground down).

Looking at my picture below, can the path to the TBs be optimized?

Thanks.

33394881950_3793ced2f4_b.jpg

The cables look correct to me. You have two of them in push pull. Make sure that they are not adjusted too tight as that will cause binding. Make sure that the twist grip moves smoothly on the bar. Clean and lube it if needed. Make sure neither of the cables is corroded and binding. It should take very little spring tension to close the throttle if everything is well lubed and moving well. Should be no reason to reroute the cables differently.

OK, thanks.

Originally I wanted to try and run the cables over the water? pipe, but they wouldn't fit with the heat shield and T-bar.

As Fred suggested.

Cable rerouting didn't do to much, sounds like you unwound it too many turns.

Only need to unwind ONE turn, kind of hard to do with the spring going "bong" with no control and just hoping it takes up on it's keeper lug,

If I let go of the throttle, which became very light, it just managed to close, just.

It's a pity that coolant pipe is not heavily insulated. That thing dumps a lot of heat into the area. The coolant temp is typically at 175 F or higher. I don't know what the ambient temp would typically be in that area but it's elevated.

I was always concerned about the plug wires touching the coolant pipe but they've survived so far.

It was great when they got rid of those bulky plug wires and went to individual coils on the plugs.

Hopefully the coil assemblies are more easily removed than the plug wire caps. I damaged a cap on my Gen I trying to wrestle it out one day. It was stuck and didn't want to come out. Thought about using compressed air to pop it out.