Riding 2 up on FJR????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDsgt

Reaction score
As I always say, first and foremost, thanks for being patient with a new guy here in your forum. Since I am patiently waiting for my new FJR, I thought I would ask this question to all you experienced owners. I am a big guy. Actually a fat guy to be honest. I weigh around 230lbs and my darling weighs around 150. I am wondering if this FJR will be able to handle us riding 2 up. I don't want to get into this bike for 13k and find that we can't enjoy it together. I would buy her her own bike, but she's not interested. She will gladly ride with me, but she wants no part of her own. So any info on experienced 2up riders would be great info. Thanks for all your responses in advance.

As I always say, first and foremost, thanks for being patient with a new guy here in your forum. Since I am patiently waiting for my new FJR, I thought I would ask this question to all you experienced owners. I am a big guy. Actually a fat guy to be honest. I weigh around 230lbs and my darling weighs around 150. I am wondering if this FJR will be able to handle us riding 2 up. I don't want to get into this bike for 13k and find that we can't enjoy it together. I would buy her her own bike, but she's not interested. She will gladly ride with me, but she wants no part of her own. So any info on experienced 2up riders would be great info. Thanks for all your responses in advance.
:blink: 230 is fat, oh phuuuuck! :lol: You'll have no problems IME - I have you beat by 20lbs and although I don't ask I suspect my S.O. has your S.O. beat by a couple of lbs.

Previously discussed here with a 430 pound total scenario.

Personally, at 265 plus 130 pounds in extra long-distance gear or girlfriend....an aftermarket shock with beefy spring is important to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am around 205 dressed to ride and the wife is about 150. No problems 2 up for us.

At 265 lbs and the S.O. not far behind, we exceed the weight limit a little bit. Expect to upgrade the suspension in the near future, but the bike performs well in the Smokies 2 up.

IMO, the difference in your weight and your SO's weight will work nicely to your advantage on the FJR. Unless she widely Zigs while you expect her to Zag, you will hardly know she is back there. You will want to change your suspension settings front and rear, and at 230, I recommend you run with the rear preload lever always set to HARD, rear rebound set to six(6) clicks (2007 model I assume).

PM Grumpy for more info. He and Snow White are a similar match. Although Snow White is smaller than your SO.

The wife and I are riding 2 up here in this video..... https://youtube.com/profile?user=jdog109socal
JDog
JDog,

I noticed in the video at the very first someone riding with what seemed to be LEO wig wags on the turn signals, also later on it showed them also on the rear of the bike. What are they? Are they legal? I had a headlight modulator on my BMW but have never seen what he had going there... Info Please.

I weigh 220 and my wife is only 125 but when you add a 20 lb purse 20# of extra clothes 5 bottles of water etc. We are close to you. No problem! Just use appropriate tire pressures when packing double. Keep the rubber side down and the smiles up.

JDog,I noticed in the video at the very first someone riding with what seemed to be LEO wig wags on the turn signals, also later on it showed them also on the rear of the bike. What are they? Are they legal? I had a headlight modulator on my BMW but have never seen what he had going there... Info Please.
Y'know, anything that looks that close to Police flashing lights might bring the attention of the very people you may not want examining your bike, up close andpersonal. It is possible they are LED add-on turn signals and he is triggering them L-R-L-R, that would explain the phenomenon sen on the video.

I weigh 220 and my wife is only 125 but when you add a 20 lb purse 20# of extra clothes 5 bottles of water etc. We are close to you. No problem! Just use appropriate tire pressures when packing double. Keep the rubber side down and the smiles up.
My wife and I both are over 200 lbs and ride with the hard bags and top trunk fully loaded and with a loaded tank bag as well,in all types of conditions and at sustained speeds over 80mph with no problems with handling or stability whatsever.

Just load up an FJR and ride.

I weigh 220 and my wife goes 137 and we have NO PROBLEMS with the FJR. A better rear shock is a thought however (I have a Wilber's).

Tom

My FJR is the first bike I've actually owned. I've always had access to my brother's bike (until he moved out of town) or my son's, or my brother-in-law's, or my roommate's when I was in school, or something. When I wanted my own bike I was thinking Wing, because I knew I had to be able to carry my wife, and I knew that wouldn't be a GSX-R or something. I'm too old for that tank-hugging ride, and I DO NOT want a cruiser.

I'd seen the FJR on the web, but never in person. Took Jan to the Yamaha place after hours, there were 2 visible through the window. She was impressed enough with the look of it to tell me flat out not to bother finding a Gold Wing.

Now that we have it, I couldn't be happier. We're both heavier than we ought to be, and without loading up we're right at the bike's stated load limit. Hell, I had to aim the lights down to ride by myself! Nevertheless, I have no trouble with her on it at all. She's taken to it like a duck to water. She leans with me, looks with me, and doesn't fight the bike at all. There's more weight back there, but nothing else. She knows to wait for me to let her on, and to let her off. She knows to check the pegs down before trying to get on, and we carry a hairbrush in the Givi for her! She knows how to hold on to me, or the grab rails, or just to lean back against the top case. She anticipates well with traffic. No idea how she's learned all this, because she's never been on a motorcycle before.

I can't compare it 2-up to anything else, because it's the ONLY bike I've ridden 2-up. Jan says she's comfortable, has plenty of room, and she really doesn't like the look of the Wing. She thinks the FJR is flashier and more worthy of being seen on!

As for her comfort and durability, we've not been on the bike together more than an hour at a time yet, but (weather permitting) we're goin' on a day trip Saturday, and we'll see how she is. Going from here in Panama City to at least Cape San Blas and the state park out there, and maybe as far as St. George Island just beyond Apalachicola. Forecast looks good, so watch the Ride Reports section for us.

My wife and I exceed the posted 415 max prescribed by yamaya by more than we should. Then add 2 full saddlebags, full givi and tank bag. We have done double digit speeds, although she does not like it much. We tested a new wing last fall and she liked the fjr better. That said the next farkle is the penske shocks. Hopefully set up for the correct weight, or maybe I need to go on a diet. :D fred jr

Well....I guess I could chime in also since I must be obese! I weigh in currently round the 260# mark and I'm 6'4". My SO is round the same # but not height. The only time we have problems is taking a tight turn around here in town. Haven't been on any real rides yet, but we have one planned for next weekend for our anniversary.

Latest posts