riding with high beams on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run low beams during the day. I find that when I am in my Jeep an oncoming MC with high beams on it is distracting (along with Harleys and their triple headlight look from high power driving lights or the ricer cars running driving lights during the day). Those modulating headlights are even worse. I just assume all the cars will not see me coming when I am on the bike. Every intersection I have a thumb over the horn and fingers covering the brake lever just in case.

You know, a cigarette butt out the window rarely does any harm, however, even being a smoker, I'm annoyed by that too. I crush the fire from my cig before letting it go just below the sidecase.
I got a friggin burning cigarette butt tossed into my lap the other day when I was riding the KLR. :glare: Why these assholes don't use the ashtray in the vehicle is beyond me. Its bad enough these dickheads have to foul the fresh air I'm trying to breath when I'm behind them but then they have to try and incinerate me too! Evidently throwing a spent cigarette butt on the ground or out the window isn't considered littering.

On topic,

It's better to be misjudged than not seen at all.

Off topic,

Cigarettes have no place in public. They f*** up the health of the smoker and bystanders. I have to live with athsma for the rest of my life because one of my parents smoked in the house when I was growing up. Don't even give me that "it's a free country" BS! I served this country to protect freedom, but not for the freedom to "kill thy neighbors" because someone doesn't want to be thoughtful about their addiction. I can hardly breathe when someone is smoking up wind from me. It makes me want to use deadly force to respond to the attack on my life.

If you want to smoke, do it a small closed room so you will only kill yourself, not everyone around you!

You know, a cigarette butt out the window rarely does any harm,
Tell that to the people in Southern California. I live in a dry fire sensitive climate, cigarette butts account for 80% of wildfires.
Tell it to the people anywhere in forested areas of California. A few years ago, while coming back over DOnner Summit, my C.B. radio started squaking and yelling. I turned up the volume to hear the conversation and a gentleam was yeeling at some truck to pull over. I answered the gentleman in question and was informed he was talking to another truck, whom he identified. The following is a synopsis of what he had to say after the truck driver told him he didn't think it was a big deal:

"Yes, I am the CHP car in the #1 lane behind you. Perhaps in your state, throwing lit cigarettes from your window is acceptable. In California it isn't. Your lit cigarette butt landed on the hood of my cruiser, then blew off on the shoulder of the highway. I have placed a radio call to CalTrans to watch for a fire in this area. We are in the middle of drought conditions and it is highly dangerous and posted on billboards. When we get to the town of Colfax, you will pull off at the ramp and receive a ticket. You can explain to the traffic court why you thought this was an acceptable practice."

On my motorcycle, I have also been hit with a lit cigarette butt. In commute traffic I've had ashes from smokers blown inside my full-face helmet and stuck in my eye. For some reason, smokers think it is either: A.) okay; B.)funny; or C.) A great "joke" to pull (a car load of "kids"). IT'S NOT!

High beams, eh?

1975_farrah.jpg

what was the question?

I don't think you all are doing yourself a service by drifting off to lit cigarettes.....I'm just sayin' this might be an appropriate time to go back on topic.

This guy, at least, thinks that high beams are a bad idea.
https://www.twowheelsoapbox.com/?p=26
Yeah that's his opinion. One that I've heard by other opponents of the practice before. Funny, but I've never been so blinded during the day that I didn't realize that the bright light approaching me had a motorcycle behind it. I guess my brain works differently that the author's.

Unfortunately he brings no new facts or studies to the discussion, just some new disinformation. The law does NOT say that one must use low beams during daylight hours and in fact encourages use of motorcycle high beams during the day in many states.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just googling around on this topic and found one argument that is kind of convincing against the use of high beams during the day. With the bright headlights in the oncoming motorists eyes it is not possible IMO that they won't see that you are there, somehow hidden in your "cloud" of high beamage. But it is possible they won't see your wimpy little turn signals if you have them on.

Just thought I should report that detail even though it is contrary to my position. After all, it's not about winning arguments. It's about being as safe as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back my original Busa days (about 2 years ago) I did a two week long survey of this topic. For one week I rode with the low-beam only option. The next with the high-beam during the day/low during the night option.

The low-beam week I had 4 left turners that didn't see me, or didn't care. The high-beam week I had none. That was here in the land of the "Entitlement People" of Washington State. The second week made me a true believer of using the high-beam during the day. I wouldn't suggest it with HID, but with Halogen, absolutely. Turn those puppies and be seen!

Still Googling... Funny, every state reference I come to says that they actually encourage daytime high beamage for motorcycles. It's in every state Motorcycle Rider Handbook that I come across.

I think that's probably because they all subscribe to the MSF for most of these kinds of things.

I always use high beams when I split traffic, otherwise I just flash them at the occasional cross-traffic conflict [cars waiting to pull out from cross-streets, etc.].

One thing I miss about my Triumph T-bird was its standard equipped "trigger" to flash to high beams. It sure came in handy.

Great post and good question. I learned something new about how the various State DMV's on the subject. I have to renew my license soon and the question could very well be on the Calif. motorcycle test. Funny thing though, I swear the DMV has the wrong answers to some of their questions. :huh:

This guy, at least, thinks that high beams are a bad idea.
https://www.twowheelsoapbox.com/?p=26
Yeah that's his opinion. One that I've heard by other opponents of the practice before. Funny, but I've never been so blinded during the day that I didn't realize that the bright light approaching me had a motorcycle behind it. I guess my brain works differently that the author's.

Unfortunately he brings no new facts or studies to the discussion, just some new disinformation. The law does NOT say that one must use low beams during daylight hours and in fact encourages use of motorcycle high beams during the day in many states.
Yeah, F that guy.

The same basic principle applies to bikes in general regardless of lighting. I understand that motorists perceive bikes as an "occupied space". So all other factors being equal, they see you , but still will drive into you.

So here we are in the days of DRLs, where most of the cars on the road have some kind of forward lighting. If we as motorcyclists use the low beam, then the playing field is equalled again and there is no diferentiation...same results.

There has to be something that sets us apart. I don't care for modulating headlights, but I definitely see them. The people in front of me that see my high beam either move lanes or move over, and get a"thanks" wave. The ones that can't see my dual 55s aren't going to see anything at all. When I look in the mirrors at 5 lanes of cages, I can see the bikes with the brights on. That doesn't mean that I'm seeing all of the bikes

His theory might wash if there were bright sun behind the MC, but looking at a halogen burn and not knowing what it is and assuming it's nothing is a difficult pill to swallow.

Modulators make a good case for modulators, too. Been using them for about 15 years now and, after installing them the first time, I'd never have another bike without them.

and, back on topic...

high beams rock!

nipples2.jpg

I think that's probably because they all subscribe to the MSF for most of these kinds of things.
I just reopened an MSF supplied book and here is what it says word for word. "When riding at night use HIGH BEAM when NOT following or meeting another vehicle" "To be more visible,wear bright, reflective materials. Use the motorcycle’s lights wisely, particularly the high beam."

There are no other mentioning of HIGH BEAM. AS I have stated before those instructors who preach it are preaching their own opinions on the people and not facts.

Bottom line is. Can you use them, sure. But what ever you do turn the damn thing off when approaching or following someone regardless day or night. Yes, it does put stress on people eyes when you shine that light into their eyes.

Latest posts