RTE to the UP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen pics of some of the good roads around Copper Harbor, and there's some road I hear of that has a nice canopy of trees that is also supposed to be pretty good. If I were to do a trip like that, I'd have to spend at least one night to enjoy it. 12 hours is about all my butt can stand and it gets painful before that!

Some of the best roads in the Mid-west are in the UP, but not near Manistique :huh: My suggestion is Copper Harbor it's closer and the really good roads are right in that area. Up and back in a day means you'll need to skip riding and exploring the good spots it's close to 8 hours one way. Look close at Hwys 26 and 41 to and from Copper Harbor and Lac LaBelle Rd. through Bete Grise and down to Gay then over to Houghton. The Gay Bar the Bug refers to is named for it's location, Gay MI not it patrons, you guys will be safe there :p There's lots more if you guys want to head that way I can give you more to explore and places to eat and drink.Here's a link to the way I go to get there and the 26/41/ Lac La Belle Rd.
Next time, rather than taking 26/Gratiot when you're up near Copper Harbor, take Brockway Mountain Dr. It isn't like 41 through the trees, it's a seasonal road and isn't in good enough shape that you can haul arse through it, but some of the views are great.

I've seen pics of some of the good roads around Copper Harbor, and there's some road I hear of that has a nice canopy of trees that is also supposed to be pretty good.
That's probably the last bit of 41 before you get to Copper Harbor, the last 10 miles or so is beautiful. Pity my video camera wasn't recording when we went through there a couple weeks back, apparently I'd already killed the battery.

I just got back from a trip up there a couple weeks ago, we stayed in Marquette, and went towards Copper Harbor one day, and Grand Marias the next day. Here's a link with some pictures/videos, and maps of the routes we rode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the route suggestion Rick. It looks pretty good to me.

I guess the reason I suggested Manistique was it looked most centrally located for anyone from the East or Canada who might be interested.

HOWEVER, if you're interested in camping out Matt, perhaps lunch in Manistique and then head straight North from there afterwards to the North shore and work our way back West for the rest of Saturday and into Sunday. Make a descent weekend out of it.

Mike - I'm thinkin about doing this. I would probably leave about o dark 30 on Saturday to meet you guys for lunch. And then do some ridin up there and in the lower peninsula before getting back to Chicago area on Sunday. Maybe Marty and I can hook up if his tires can make it :lol:

When we were in town, we ate at Marley's Bar and Grill. Reasonable prices and not a bad atmosphere for a RTE. If you go there, give them a head's up cause I don't think they handle an unexpected rush too well. The night we were there was a bachelorette party LOL Fun stuff, but made me blush.

It'll probably be a last minute decision for me Mike if I can do this...I'll let you know.

I'd go with Rick Corwn suggestion, Copper Harbor is the place to go, better riding and food,its further for me to ride too then Manistique, but well WORTH IT!!
smile.gif

Just curious, how many might consider making an overnighter of this weekend? It's becoming obvious to me that simply going up and back for a single lunch just doesn't seem to justify riding all the way up to that area. Might be kind of nice to spend more time up there and explore the area.

I'm pretty much open for anything.

I'm not going to do it in one day. I'll spend the night somewhere up there.

I'm not going to do it in one day. I'll spend the night somewhere up there.
So here's the next question pilots: motel or camping? Either one will probably require investigating to see if advance reservations will be necessary.

Or we can just concern ourselves with what roads we want to ride, and worry about where/when to sleep when that time comes.

I will be staying the weekend,I maybe even going up a day or two early, motel so I don't have to carry as much stuff,but will camp if everyone else is.

Thanks Mike for setting this ride up!

I probably shouldn't get a vote. Due to my work schedule (really lack of schedule), I only have a 50/50 chance of making this anyway. If I do make it, camp or motel is fine with me.

Back on track now!

Date: Aug. 25th

Place: Bergland, MI (a town that is on the route that RickCorwn posted up....Thnx Rick!)

Also it is only about 120 mi.s from Copper Harbor, which makes it an easy ride for the afternoon after lunch.

Motel: this is just a suggestion, but this is where I'll be booking a room..

Lake Gogebic Motel 906.575.3262 301 Elm St.

Single rooms $36 Doubles $58

There are several other places in Bergland to get rooms, but at these rates it sounded great.

One of the couples that runs the motel are also bikers, and she said there are tons of great roads up there.

So I figured we could run up to and around Copper Harbor Sat. and then check out some of the other roads Sun.

Sorry it took so long get back at this, but hey, here we are.

Mike

In the event anyone in this area is still interested in riding in the UP, I'll be heading out at around 6:00 a.m.. Ride an hour or two, then have some breakfast in WI. Figuring it's only about 240 mi.s to Bergland, I (or we) should still be able to get up there in time for lunch. And depending on who might come with, we might actually get up there much sooner.

Sunday morning riding around Porcupine Mountain S.P. should be a nice touch for the weekend.

Mike

In the event anyone in this area is still interested in riding in the UP, I'll be heading out at around 6:00 a.m.. Ride an hour or two, then have some breakfast in WI. Figuring it's only about 240 mi.s to Bergland, I (or we) should still be able to get up there in time for lunch. And depending on who might come with, we might actually get up there much sooner.

Sunday morning riding around Porcupine Mountain S.P. should be a nice touch for the weekend.

Mike
Not going to be able to make it Mike. See you in LaCrosse.

Have a safe trip everybody.