• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Russell Day Long Group Buy - Fall 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A unique color scheme, for sure!

Talked to Heather yesterday and mine should be shipping near the end of this week. I'm stoked! :yahoo:

A few things about the "center of gravity" issues raised:

While it may feel as if you are up an inch and a half higher, it isn't really that much unless you specifically ask them to boost you up At least not as compared to stock 1st gen seats. It's about 3/4 to 1" higher at most. But it does feel quite different. Also, whatever the raise to your butt level actually is, it will lessen somewhat, in time, as the seat breaks in.

Raising your hips up by an inch does not mean that your body's COG will be that much higher. The raise in seat height is mitigated by lowering your torso angle, which automatically happens as you reach for the now lower bars.(unless you also put on risers). Only a fraction of your total body weight will be raised, therefore your body's COG will be only that fraction of an inch higher. Then the ratio of your body weight to the bikes weight needs to be applied.

And when cornering in "sport mode" just getting your head and shoulders down and behind the inside mirror will bring that weight where it needs to be. Any minor changes in COG is hugely offset by elimination of the swelling, redness and overall pain in your butt achieved by riding on a Russell. JMHBO

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things about the "center of gravity" issues raised:

While it may feel as if you are up an inch and a half higher, it isn't really that much unless you specifically ask them to boost you up At least not as compared to stock 1st gen seats. It's about 3/4 to 1" higher at most. But it does feel quite different. Also, whatever the raise to your butt level actually is, it will lessen somewhat, in time, as the seat breaks in.

Raising your hips up by an inch does not mean that your body's COG will be that much higher. The raise in seat height is mitigated by lowering your torso angle, which automatically happens as you reach for the now lower bars.(unless you also put on risers). Only a fraction of your total body weight will be raised, therefore your body's COG will be only that fraction of an inch higher. Then the ratio of your body weight to the bikes weight needs to be applied.

And when cornering in "sport mode" just getting your head and shoulders down and behind the inside mirror will bring that weight where it needs to be. Any minor changes in COG is hugely offset by elimination of the swelling, redness and overall pain in your butt achieved by riding on a Russell. JMHBO
I can't speak to the Russell, but I can feel the handling differences as my CG moves up or down on various stock, Corbin, or Sargent seats, and so can some of my 43 year riding buddies. The impact of all this stuff (raise your butt, arch your upper body forward, blah blah blah ad nauseum) is going depend on the individual's geometry, and what you're sensitive to. I would venture a guess that there are a lot of folks who would not be able to tell any difference if CG moves around in a 2" diameter sphere. I seem to be able to tell the difference.... so its a curse, not a benefit.

I hope the Russell turns out to NOT impact handling in a negative way. They were supposed to start building mine today.

Thanks PMSPAUL for putting this together, 20% off you can't beat that.

Received my Russell Seat yesterday and got a chance to ride into work with it. It's definitely going to take some time getting use to it. It felt a little better on the way home. But then again, I was leaving work. That always feels better. I must be a good 1-1/2 inches higher in the saddle. Doesn't feel right unless your right in the pocket. It did make me slow down on the way in at least. Now I am on my tip toes when I come to a stop and wedged between the tank and the wings. If the weather cooperates this weekend we will put some miles on her. Vanilla bean Café anyone. Assuming they are still open. I will report back after getting some more miles under my arss.

Nice color choice. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after some more miles. I'm a little concerned about the additional height too.

UPS'd mine off today to the good folks at Russell. Build date is 12/13 and I'm looking forward to it. I went the whole hog with full leather and a back rest. Can't wait.

My production date is tomorrow. I will be home from a trip on the 24th and the seat should be under the Christmas tree with a big red bow on the box! What a wonderful Christmas this should be!!!!

Received my seat today, put it on the bike and made vroom vroom noises as the first flakes of the Illinois winter started to hit the ground. REALLY thought about putting on the gear and going for a ride, but not a fan of all the salt they have on the roads already. Thanks again PMSPAUL for putting this together.

Received my seat today, put it on the bike and made vroom vroom noises as the first flakes of the Illinois winter started to hit the ground. REALLY thought about putting on the gear and going for a ride, but not a fan of all the salt they have on the roads already. Thanks again PMSPAUL for putting this together.
I don't know how you guys can do that weather!? :dribble:

My Russell is "Out For Delivery" according to the UPS site. I'm waiting for Brown Santa to get here now! It's 61 deg, clear skies, westerly breeze at 2.7 mph, and a rising barometer here along the Central Coast. Think I should take it for a spin? It's a little chilly! :p

Thanks PMSPAUL for putting this together, 20% off you can't beat that.

Received my Russell Seat yesterday and got a chance to ride into work with it. It's definitely going to take some time getting use to it. It felt a little better on the way home. But then again, I was leaving work. That always feels better. I must be a good 1-1/2 inches higher in the saddle. Doesn't feel right unless your right in the pocket. It did make me slow down on the way in at least. Now I am on my tip toes when I come to a stop and wedged between the tank and the wings. If the weather cooperates this weekend we will put some miles on her. Vanilla bean Café anyone. Assuming they are still open. I will report back after getting some more miles under my arss.

Nice color choice. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after some more miles. I'm a little concerned about the additional height too.
Well no long trips this weekend but I am still commuting to work. Today it was 26 degrees on the way in and 30 degrees on the way home. I opted for the heated seat and let me tell you it was well worth it to me. Talk about a butt burner! after 10 Min's i actually have to shut it off. Works fantastic! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I am starting to settle into the new seat and it seems to be getting better with each day. I wasn't sure about the color but now I am glad about how it ended up. I think the flash from the camera makes it look lighter than what it really is. Its just about the same color as the frame. I like black (Not like I had a choice!) but I think a little more color helps.

Dave

Mine showed up today. The build date was December 1. It was shipped back to me on December 6, and it arrived after 2300+ mile trip on December 11. It cost me $52 to ship it out there with $300 insurance for the original seat pan and a 15 pound weight. I was only charged 48 bucks for the 19 pound box insured for $540 returned seat. Shipping was via Fed Ex Ground in both directions. In our neck of the woods, Fed Ex Ground will deliver stuff on Saturdays without any upcharge.

The leather and stitching quality are very nice. I picked black leather with the heavy duty springs. The seating pocket is pretty much where the pictures had shown me sitting. I've always wanted to try a Russell, so I quickly did the install (more complicated on the Rocket III Touring than on the FJR because the Rocket III Touring does not have a keyed latching system, but instead requires tools for seat removal or installation). I got in an hour long loop ride before weather brought me home.

My first impression is that the Russell seat works really well on my Rocket III Touring. It sits a little taller than the Corbin Solo seat I've been using. Even so, it seems easier to flatfoot or duckwalk the bike than it was with the Corbin due to the geometry at the front of the seat - I am impressed with what Russell was able to do to customize the fit based on just the two pictures I sent them. I've had two seats done for other bikes through actual ride in appointments with other venders. Those worked out well too, but I think the Russell is actually the most personalized fit of these three true custom seats.

On the Rocket III Touring, the Triumph supplied stock seat and long haul seat were both fine for half day rides, but they fell short for longer runs. The Corbin seat was a big step up and has been good for full days in the saddle. I liked the Corbin, but I really wanted to try a true sprung seat, and that's why I ordered the Russell too. Today's ride gave the impression that the Russell will not require any significant break in to work well for me. I guess it will 'settle in' as the springs adjust to the load, but this seemed to actually happen today.

Russell included some paperwork describing the guarantee and giving some tips. One of the tips was to sit upright in the seat's pocket to let the springs do their work. This is easily done on the Rocket III Touring, but it would have been harder for me on the FJR. My posture on the FJR included a more forward lean. On the Rocket III, the seating posture after the Russell did not feel significantly different compared to the seating posture with the Corbin or the Stock seats. Shoulders, back, forearms, hips, wrists ... all felt about the same on the test ride today. Mounting and dismounting is not impeded by the Russell either. Overall, I think this is going to be a nice seat, and it was great to get the $135 discount by participating in the group buy.

Thanks!

I'd bet there will be. Maybe here, maybe not, but there was more than one going while this forum's buy was happening. I think it was Advrider.

Just got my FJR. Will there be a group buy for fall 2011? Boy... I hope so.
Russell has been doing group buys in the fall at least the past few years I'm aware of. They usually happen in the fall, so Russell can generate additional work for the winter months.

All it takes for a group buy to occur is for an individual representing a forum or group to step up, get together with Russell, circulate details and manage the group buy list as it grows. I was looking for a group buy last year. I was worried I might miss seeing a group buy or be too late to get on the list(the list will fill fast). So last year was my turn to step up and make sure a group buy happened.

Maybe next year it's your turn?

This upgrade is the best money ever spent on my FJR, bar none! Don't hesitate to pull the trigger on this purchase.
I completely agree. I purchased 3 other brands of "custom" seats before finally getting the Russell. I hope my wife likes it as much as I do :)