• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Russell Day Long Group Buy - Fall 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine in today! Took it for a quick 30 min ride and it felt really good, now to plan a proper ride :yahoo:

Arrived!!!

1077739898_kuERW-L.jpg

I got in on the stand by list. Heather emailed the other day and I have a build date of 12/13 (which is my birthday so that's pretty cool) and was told two weeks build time. I'm looking forward to it. Just hope I haven't screwed up by asking them to boost me up 1/2 to 1 inch to take the kink out of the knees. I'm 5 8 and can flat foot it on both sides and don't have any trouble reaching the ground.

Thoughts?

I got in on the stand by list. Heather emailed the other day and I have a build date of 12/13 (which is my birthday so that's pretty cool) and was told two weeks build time. I'm looking forward to it. Just hope I haven't screwed up by asking them to boost me up 1/2 to 1 inch to take the kink out of the knees. I'm 5 8 and can flat foot it on both sides and don't have any trouble reaching the ground.

Thoughts?
I think you can automatically expect an elevation change as it's just the way they're made. It's also discussed on their website.

I'm looking forward to the elevation change for the same reason, help opening up that knee bend if only just a bit. Since I have lowering links on my FJR, I can flat foot super easy with my 33" inseam. I may pull the links off, too since they were installed by the PO. I have conveyed all that info through Heather, as well so they'll take that into account.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thoughts?
I'm 5'8" also. I made no special requests on seat height. I can still get both feet to the ground, not flat foot though. The extra height definitely "took the kink" out of my knees a little. Extremely comfortable all the way around. All I can say after 2000+ miles is the seat is perfect. Almost like it was made for me...

Anybody in the far north, need your seat broken in, ship it to me, I'll take care of ya. :-}

I have a production date 0f 11/15, I shipped the seat UPS (rider only), at a cost of $13.00 UPS Ground.

I've had email coorespondence with Heather about my pictures and I ordered on-line, but she never asked me for credit card info. Also, when you order on-line there's no where to apply the 20% discount. I think I know what it's gonna cost, but I have no confirmation.

Is this a normal scenario with Russell?

Anybody in the far north, need your seat broken in, ship it to me, I'll take care of ya. :-}

I have a production date 0f 11/15, I shipped the seat UPS (rider only), at a cost of $13.00 UPS Ground.

I've had email coorespondence with Heather about my pictures and I ordered on-line, but she never asked me for credit card info. Also, when you order on-line there's no where to apply the 20% discount. I think I know what it's gonna cost, but I have no confirmation.

I ordered online as well and just calculated the price with the discount, tax, & shipping and I was SURE to include the required "2011 GROUP BUY" info where specified in the original buy instructions. Heather just told me to send my check in with the seat since I'm paying by check.

When your seat is complete you will receive a call from Russell notifying you that your seat is ready to ship, and to settle payment with your credit card at that time.

As Tree Doc mentioned, you'll need to calculate the seat price and deduct the 20% on your own to find the price. Keep in mind that the discount doesn't apply to the shipping charges.

Enjoy the seat!

For the 20% you had put the "2011 GROUP BUY" into the specified place on the online order form. You might want to check with Heather to make sure you're getting the discount. Heather's been real good about correspondence with me so far. I'll be sending my saddle in on 12/01. Can't wait.

Thoughts?
I'm 5'8" also. I made no special requests on seat height. I can still get both feet to the ground, not flat foot though. The extra height definitely "took the kink" out of my knees a little. Extremely comfortable all the way around. All I can say after 2000+ miles is the seat is perfect. Almost like it was made for me...
Did the increase in seat height cause any issues with buffeting at helmet level?

Did the increase in seat height cause any issues with buffeting at helmet level?
Not for me. Since I've had the seat, I've ridden about 2k miles on it, all using the stock shield. I normally keep it all the way down. I haven't had any buffeting issues or notice anything different than before I put the Russell on.

My two seats (DL & FJR) go out Wed 11/10 looks to be about $65 to ship them both (UPS gnd) in the same box.

Thanks for arranging this GB Paul, much obliged!

Mark.

My seats arrived a few weeks ago, am very satisfied with the workmanship and the fit. What a difference in comfort!

My seat shipped out yesterday. I don't think I will have it in time for the ride to the rock though. Holidays and all. If you want to save a few bucks I sent mine out to Cali Just regular 1'st class mail. Took the same time as Priority for a lot less money. Go figure! :blink: Only $18.00 including insurance.

Can't wait,

Dave

I got in on the standby list very late. I'm a prior customer of theirs as I already have a Russell (that I love) for the FJR, and wanted to get one made for my V-strom.

Received an email from Heather with a build date of 12/13. I'm getting a solo / vinyl / half moon pattern for the Vee. With the 20% discount the seat will only set me back $332 plus shipping. That puts it far into the "well worth it" category.

Thanks very much for running this group buy, and especially for maintaining and sending in the "standby" list.

Thanks very much for running this group buy, and especially for maintaining and sending in the "standby" list.
I was happy to run the group buy and am glad so many people were able to be included.

Enjoy your seats everyone!
I really appreciate that you were able to direct some of us who were late noticing your group buy here on this forum over to the ADVrider forum. I was able to get in on their group buy before there was a waiting list, and my build date is Wednesday this week.

Thanks.

Thanks PMSPAUL for putting this together, 20% off you can't beat that.

Received my Russell Seat yesterday and got a chance to ride into work with it. It's definitely going to take some time getting use to it. It felt a little better on the way home. But then again, I was leaving work. That always feels better. I must be a good 1-1/2 inches higher in the saddle. Doesn't feel right unless your right in the pocket. It did make me slow down on the way in at least. Now I am on my tip toes when I come to a stop and wedged between the tank and the wings. If the weather cooperates this weekend we will put some miles on her. Vanilla bean Café anyone. Assuming they are still open. I will report back after getting some more miles under my arss.

That extra height is what has always kept me away from the Russell ... not because of any flatfooting issues, but rather because I am a really big guy, and raising my own CG by an inch and a half is enough to move the CG of the FJR and me together up by half an inch. I can feel a change of this magnitude in handling. The FJR already seemed top heavy to me, and I was reluctant to try a Russell.

I have gone ahead and ordered a Russell for the Rocket III, and the reason I did this is that the Rocket's seat is already quite low, so another inch or so won't make too big a difference in flatfooting ... but more importantly, the Rocket's weight is heavy enough that if I move my CG up by an inch and a half, the CG for me and the Rocket together will go up something more like about a quarter inch. This is still something that you can feel if you're seriously working the bike, but the Rocket isn't a sport bike, so you don't tend to work it as much as you do an FJR.

In any event, my build date is tomorrow, so maybe I'll have the new seat in a couple of weeks and I can see what I think first hand.