Sad News About Big Sky

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cole has been missing for over four days. The area where he disappeared is not remote wilderness. The Jefferson River runs through a wide agricultural valley paralleling a state highway between the towns of Twin Bridges and Silver Star; 9 miles apart. The land in close proximity to the river is treed in many areas, but in general the land is open range that extends for miles. It is hard to fathom that Cole is lost in such an area. I've ridden the area many times and can say that it would be rather easy to gain an observation point from which one could see one of the towns and any number of ranch buildings. It is difficult to maintain any sense of optimism about how this will turnout.

Sad news. I hope he is found, it's a terrible burden for family members when they never find a lost loved one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disturbing news. When I was planning my trip out west last year we spoke on the phone for about an hour. He knew every road within 500 miles of his home and probably more. His book and magazine are great reads and a great reference. A real class act!!!!

Cole has been missing for over four days. The area where he disappeared is not remote wilderness. The Jefferson River runs through a wide agricultural valley paralleling a state highway between the towns of Twin Bridges and Silver Star; 9 miles apart. The land in close proximity to the river is treed in many areas, but in general the land is open range that extends for miles. It is hard to fathom that Cole is lost in such an area. I've ridden the area many times and can say that it would be rather easy to gain an observation point from which one could see one of the towns and any number of ranch buildings. It is difficult to maintain any sense of optimism about how this will turnout.
Very sorry to hear this.......

By "no foul play suspected", I'm taking that more literally. They don't see evidence that he was killed or abducted at the campsite.

I'm also interpreting the press release to mean his camping stuff (and perhaps motorcycle) were found at the site?

Pt is leading me to believe that he's not lost.

The word "recovery" concerns me. I'm interpreting that they think he is dead. I hope both they and I are very wrong on that.

Very worrisome for all - especially his family.

^^^^ When the river is at flood stage with very fast water and his waders/floats and/or his fishing gear isn't in the camp there is a good chance that he went missing at edge of the raging waters. If his waders are missing from the camp site, well waders are a b!tch if you slip or fall into the water.

Ah - no that makes more sense. Possible drowning. Thanks for the clarification

I read through the reports and there doesn't seem to be much detail. Nothing about going fishing at all. This is strange or there just holding back on info at this time.

Still hoping to here good news.

Dave

I read through the reports and there doesn't seem to be much detail. Nothing about going fishing at all. This is strange or there just holding back on info at this time...
All the reporting says is that the common, overt evidence that points to a cause of disappearance was not found. The reports do not offer any speculation but reading first person testimonials reveals this:

I know that Cole has a rustic family cabin on the Jefferson, which he offered to let me use when we were passing thru in 2014. I wonder if that is what they meant by "camping". Cole told me that they often float fished the river from there.
Then the reports say this, which suggests that they consider the river to be a relevant search area.

County law enforcement and search and rescue personnel refocused their search Tuesday on the surrounding area as well as downstream from the campsite to the bridge in Waterloo. Thompson said the river has dropped “noticeably” since Sunday’s warm temperatures throughout southwest Montana. The change in river levels “may reveal something,'' he added.
Cole is known to fish in that area. The reports don't make any mention about fishing or fishing equipment but it is a significant possibility, plus the river was in a state where it was risky to be around. My suggestion that fishing may be related to his disappearance is speculation based on known behaviour and conditions at the time. The police are obviously not revealing everything they know or are investigating. I hope he walked out to buy beer and someone picked him up and he has been partying with them at their cabin for last several days, but I expect that is much less likely than ending up in the river some way.

I read through the reports and there doesn't seem to be much detail. Nothing about going fishing at all. This is strange or there just holding back on info at this time...
All the reporting says is that the common, overt evidence that points to a cause of disappearance was not found. The reports do not offer any speculation but reading first person testimonials reveals this:

I know that Cole has a rustic family cabin on the Jefferson, which he offered to let me use when we were passing thru in 2014. I wonder if that is what they meant by "camping". Cole told me that they often float fished the river from there.
Then the reports say this, which suggests that they consider the river to be a relevant search area.

County law enforcement and search and rescue personnel refocused their search Tuesday on the surrounding area as well as downstream from the campsite to the bridge in Waterloo. Thompson said the river has dropped “noticeably” since Sunday’s warm temperatures throughout southwest Montana. The change in river levels “may reveal something,'' he added.
Cole is known to fish in that area. The reports don't make any mention about fishing or fishing equipment but it is a significant possibility, plus the river was in a state where it was risky to be around. My suggestion that fishing may be related to his disappearance is speculation based on known behaviour and conditions at the time. The police are obviously not revealing everything they know or are investigating. I hope he walked out to buy beer and someone picked him up and he has been partying with them at their cabin for last several days, but I expect that is much less likely than ending up in the river some way.
Good deduction Alan, the rivers are running fast and cold with the spring melt in the high country this year.

The last news I've seen (Montana Standard and others), is that the search would resume Wednesday (4th). Any more information?

The reason they are looking in the river is a result of the ground search comming up empty. Either way he is still missing. I have some personal experiance of the locals jumping to the gun with a conclusion and not doing due diliegence in investigating a crime seen. The family is still trying to get answers and and reopen the investigation.

Just saying,

Dave

As of Friday morning there have been no updates in the Butte or Helena newspapers concerning the search for Cole.

God I hate this thread. Every day, I click on it hoping for good news, of course, or even any news. This has got to be so painful, just waiting. I feel so bad for Cole's family, but still want to hold on to some hope. Don't they find survivors under collapsed buildings after this long?

Status
Not open for further replies.