Seat - leather vs vinyl

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
I am heading to Rich's custom saddles on Tuesday. Quite excited actually - will finally move to a custom seat for some minor tailbone issues. :D

I've had a comrade tell me not to get the seat covered with leather - since it can be too slippery.

I searched via Google "leather seat" slippery site:www.fjrforum.com

and found the following topics:

topic 26702

topic 29126

Seems to be some evidence that leather can be slippery.

For some reason I want a leather seat - just seems 'nicer' over vinyl. But the extra care and the slippery aspect - me not too sure. :dntknw:

Usually custom seats have a 'bucket' you sit in - so this I would think keeps your arse planted - but again me not too sure. :dntknw:

But vinyl is less expensive.

Anyway - any thoughts on this topic?

Thanks for the help!

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help!

Scott
I have a leather Bill Mayer seat on my '05, and I can't remember it ever being slippery - except for one time when I rode away right after putting on the leather conditioner. The leather has been through day-long downpours, Death Valley in the summer, and everything in between, and it's still going strong. It it was me, I'd go with leather.

I have a leather Bill Mayer seat on my '05, and I can't remember it ever being slippery - except for one time when I rode away right after putting on the leather conditioner. The leather has been through day-long downpours, Death Valley in the summer, and everything in between, and it's still going strong. It it was me, I'd go with leather.
+1. I've had leather seats on my last couple of bikes and wouldn't have it any other way. Vinyl is good too, and as you say it's cheap... but leather requires only a smidgen more care and attention than vinyl and I think wears a lot better. Vinyl will tend to look just fine right up to the day it tears in the middle of a ride... leather you will see the wear long before it tears, and even then I think the wear just makes it look more "rugged".

My Corbin is leather. I think so long as the seat is well cut to fit your behind, the slipping is barely an issue because the seat should hold you in place. On the flip side though; moving around on the seat while riding is a LOT easier on leather because it's more slippery. I personally like to move back and forth depending on the type of riding I'm doing at that moment.

I would go with leather, it breathes and will dry better, vinyl traps the moisture in the foam, leather won't be slippery like you just armored you leather carseat, I have yet seen a cow with Gortex on. BTW plan on staying at Rich's a while he like's to talk and he's very intertaining.

Actually, I'd prefer just a little bit of slipperiness, especially considering that I still have the built in "bucket" that you spoke of. I hate getting stuck to my vinyl on those hot summer days. Who am I trying to fool, spring and fall are pretty rotten hot around here as well...

Gary

darksider #44

I have a Rick Mayer (Anderson Ca.) leather seat. The first thing I noticed is no ass burns when the bike sits in the direct sun as was the case with the stock vinyl.. very simple to care for and the leather dresses up the look of the FJR quite nicely. The Babes like the leather which may help you fill your dance card..

FWFE

When I had my Russell built last November, I had them do the top surface in leather and the sides in vinyl for durability and less chance of cracking later on, not to mention it saved a few bucks for a part my ass won't ever touch. I would't say that leather is slippery but it allows me freedom of movement when I want it.

Thanks for the help!

Scott
Me too!

Thanks for the help!

Scott
Me too!
I think there's a salve for that.

my leather Corbin soaked up water like a sponge sitting outside a motel in the rain overnite-nothing like a wet assed ride for the next three days! this in spite of many leather conditioner applications. I learned to bring it inside or cover it after that. yup-for me vinyl is finyl..

Vinyl is final

less maintenance
Cuz the maintenance of a leather seat is so time consuming! 2 minutes x 4 to 6 times a year?
tongue.gif

When I had my Russell seat built they recommended vinyl for all season riders and leather if you ride in drier climates. I ride all year long in the PNW so they strongly recommended that I go with vinyl which is what I did.

I personally have always preferred leather. I think it looks, feels, and wears better, but vinyl has some good advantages for sure. Not much of a persuasive argument I know!

As to the twice a yr leather treatment for leather, I have to admit, I don't keep up with that like I should. I have seats that have many yrs and miles on them and just seem to be getting better. I do have treatment potions and do put them on when I think about it so not like I never do it, but just wanted to stress that like the FJR, leather seats are forgiving of less than recommended maintenance intervals IMO.........

Leather is not to slippery. When I had my rode into Corbin to have my seat made they tech recommended leather on the top of the seat and vinyl on the sides. He told me the vinyl on the sides of the seat would stand up better than leather over the long run due to the compression on the seat edge when sitting. Leather on the side of the seat would deform and stretch over time. I took his advise and after 10's of thousands of miles the seat still looks great.

G.

I don't have a srong opinion on teh leather vs. vinyl debate. However, if you end up with a vinyl seating surface, do NOT under any circumstances use Armor All on the SOB. Becomes more slippery than my ex-girlfriend at the Navy base.

I have both, If it looks like rain I throw the Yami comfort seat on the bike. If the weather looks good I ride with the Russell. As far as slipperiness, amoral can make them both slide pretty well. Good points to both. I have a rain cover for my Russell just in case I get stuck. You have to remove the seats to get it on though. I also used the Alaskan Sheepskin on the Vinyl.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a srong opinion on teh leather vs. vinyl debate. However, if you end up with a vinyl seating surface, do NOT under any circumstances use Armor All on the SOB. Becomes more slippery than my ex-girlfriend at the Navy base.
This comment has potential :dribble:

The use of lubricants is definitely not recommended on your seat. Silicone can be especially nasty.