Seat options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crc3466

Reaction score
I’m having quite a bit of pressure on my tailbone from my stock seat (2011 FJR1300) and I’m researching some aftermarket seat options. I have a Butt Buffer pad but that only helps slightly. It’s like I need the seat reshaped entirely.
Ones that I’ve found so far:
Corbin
Top Sellerie
Russell all day saddles
Mean City Cycles (stock seat modification)
Anyone have any rave reviews on any of these? Im kinda leaning towards the Corbin seat because of the price and looks, but I notice a lot of Corbin seats have been listed for sale on here which leads me to believe that people get them and don’t like them. Anyhow, I would love to hear from people regarding the options I’ve listed above (and those I haven’t). Thanks.

Russell seats seem to be the gold standard for FJRs. Laam and Sargent have a decent following as well. Many love the Corbin but others find it too hard and too low. Seat Concepts is a lower cost option - they sell pre-shaped foam and pre-cut covering and you DIY to recover your own seat pan (supposed to be decent and not too difficult to do a good job).

Russell, if your budget can stand it. You dont see many for sale because they get snapped up pretty quickly here.

Search is your friend, there must be over 100 seat related threads to look at.
-Steve

Keep in mind we're early in the riding season which means many are looking for new seats too. Ordering from any of the custom builders will probably have you waiting months for yours to be completed which also contributes to the used ones selling fast. If it makes you feel any better many of us has spent (wasted?) plenty of green trying to find the perfect seat.

I confirm that, while better than the stock seats, Corbin are firmer than Russell Day Long saddles and others. If I had to do it over again, I'd be buying RDL or get the OEM redone by Mean City.

I bought 2 Russell seats. Hated them. I prefer Yamaha Comfort and Sargent seats. I was also perfectly fine with the stock seat. I also rode on a Corbin for many miles.

Everyone's butt comfort is different. Spend your $$, take your chances.

Some people have vastly different riding habits in terms of daily distance and vastly different tolerance for various seats. I did a few thousand kilometers on a Russell (admittedly built for someone smaller than me) and it was good but not a game changer. I have put close to 450,000 kilometers on the stock seats on the two Gen II FJRs I have owned. Don't love the seat but I can certainly tolerate successive 1000+ kilometer days without ending out crippled.

I've had a Corbin on three different Gen 2's. The thing about the Corbin seat is you need to give it time to conform to your a$$, most don't and dump the seat. Once broken in, the best seat. I've put on many 1,000 plus miles in a day on the Corbin.

My problem with gel inserts is how much heat they transfer and hold onto.
On a sunny day the gel picks up both engine heat and sunshine.
YMMV
-Steve

I went a different route: Airhawk seat pad plus padded bicycle shorts. Works great for me. Best of all: total cost of less than $150.00CAN which is about 1/10th the price of a Russell Day Long. NB: Instead of padded bicycle shorts, you can also get padded bicycling underwear (Baleaf Men's bicycle padded 3D underwear available on Amazon).

I’m having quite a bit of pressure on my tailbone from my stock seat (2011 FJR1300) and I’m researching some aftermarket seat options. I have a Butt Buffer pad but that only helps slightly. It’s like I need the seat reshaped entirely.
Ones that I’ve found so far:
Corbin
Top Sellerie
Russell all day saddles
Mean City Cycles (stock seat modification)
Anyone have any rave reviews on any of these? Im kinda leaning towards the Corbin seat because of the price and looks, but I notice a lot of Corbin seats have been listed for sale on here which leads me to believe that people get them and don’t like them. Anyhow, I would love to hear from people regarding the options I’ve listed above (and those I haven’t). Thanks.
I am a big fan of Russel. Butt then again, that’s the only one I’ve tried. My Russell is very comfortable all “day long”. I am a bit of a rebel in that I had mine covered in Sunbrella fabric instead of leather or vinyl. It is not real slippery and at least seems cooler. The design of the seat seems to spread my weight a bit more evenly. I am a big guy (6’4” 280) so this means a lot. I used to use an Aerostich sheepskin on the stick seat and that helped considerably. The Russell is even better by a good margin.

I've had a Corbin on three different Gen 2's. The thing about the Corbin seat is you need to give it time to conform to your a$$, most don't and dump the seat. Once broken in, the best seat. I've put on many 1,000 plus miles in a day on the Corbin.
Almost 200,000 on my Corbin, 3 bikes

When we bought my daughter’s custom fit Harlick Ice Skates, she would show them off to her friends, saying “Touch them, you’re feeling my feet.” Her friends were impressed with the idea of a pair of skating boots actually shaped to her feet.

When I got my custom Bill Mayer Saddle, I said to her: “Check this out, feel how smooth the leather is.” When she did, I quipped: “You’re feeling my butt.”

“Eewww, gross! 🤢

My current FJR came with a Corbin, and it was as hard as a rock. It wasn’t new either, so perhaps it took a set from the last owner. I believe I gave it away.

What I did do for my Bill Mayer Saddle was to have a heated pad installed, and hooked up to a Heat Troller. It’s nice to be on my way to work on a summer morning, and realising I forgot to turn it off last time I rode. That BMS seat has been on 3 bikes so far since 2008. I just had it recovered too.

Good luck with your search for a comfortable, long distance seat.

Brodie
🙂

I ordered a custom seat from Top Sellerie in April and I am very happy with it so far. Took a month to be made and delivered. I added gel and heat to the rider seat. Great options when building your seat

Attachments

• 70708955873__A135A918-5A1C-4A4C-88C3-59AEC76D7630.jpeg
    70708955873__A135A918-5A1C-4A4C-88C3-59AEC76D7630.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0534.jpeg
    IMG_0534.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0