Sell the FJR, or will a PCIII fix the throttle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aasland

Depleted
Reaction score
I need help in deciding whether to fix the FJR's shortcommings, or trade it for something else.

Just some quick background info: I've got an '06 ABS - bought used last year, put 15K on it since. Total mileage is now 35k. I came from a VFR, lookiing for better ergo's, luggage, and wind protection, and not giving up much in performance. I got all that except the performance.

Sure, the FJR has more power than the viffer, but more weight too, so that balances out. But the FJR doesn't corner worth a damn, thanks to that fooked up throttle. Every corner I enter on the FJR, I find myself anticipating that chassis-unsettling lurch when trying to smoothly apply power.

I have disconnected a throttle spring and installed the G2. That helped, but the power delivery from off-throttle is still very abrupt - even more so than the much-maligned VFR throttle.

The question, will a PCIII help?

Will the PCIII restore the ability to smoothly feed it power?

If so, I would keep the bike, replacing the worn-out suspension and putting up with the heat. If not .. I may have to go looking for another bike.

Aasland,

I can honestly report to you that the PCIII WILL make you a believer in your FJR. I had the same problems and considered the same as you. I made the buy on the PCIII, installed it (pretty much an easy install as well), LOVE IT :yahoo: . I uploaded the 001 map from powercommander.com w/ O2 sensor disconnected and the FJR rides like it should have from the start. There are many posts here and in the technical section talking about the PCIII so you can get a feel for it. The only problem you will have is that you rode it 20k w/out it!! LOL

Seriously. Give it a shot. You will not be disappointed. Best money on a mod I've spent.

I expect my PCIII to be at the post office on Monday. I will have it in no later than Saturday. According to all the posts I have read on this forum, this will fix a lot of the little things that should have been fixed at the factory. Looking forward to getting it installed.

I installed The PCIII two weeks ago and it absolutley made a difference. No more jerky starts, bogging, or stalling.

IMHO... Here's your situation as I see it:

Get the PCIII.

Hey Larry, is the group buy still going on? $269 shipped if I remember (too lazy to look).

If it doesn't make a believer out of you, sell it here (you'll get a great price) and then sell the bike.

What's the downside? MAYBE a few bucks lost on the PCIII sale?

The upside? Falling in love with the FJR the way she should be. :yahoo:

PC3 and g2 and tbs and it shoudl run smooth as silk. Just got mine back from 26k service and had g2 installed and what a difference in vibes and throttle roll on. Any desire to buy another bike went out the window. I had the pc3 installed a while back and that helped but the combo of all transforms the bike into a world beater. At this stage another 300 bucks is well worth it.

Aasland,

Dump that hunk of junk! I might be able to find a recycle place for you and sell it for scrap metal for .... say $1500.

J/K .... I wonder if someone on this forum would let you ride theirs with the PCIII in it? That would answer your question definitively!

PCIII definitely will fix the abrupt throttle. If it still has more power than you are comfortable with at small turns of the throttle, add a G2 throttle tube. I was thnking today what I'd buy if I was in the market, and I can't think of a bike I'd rather have than the FJR.

You guys that installed a PCIII, how did it affect the fuel milage? I heard of cases where the milage went from the mid to high 40's to mid to high 30's. :eek:

For the price of this bike we shouldn't have to do ANY thing to it to make it ridable. Just my thoughts.
Rob,

I understand how you feel...but Manufacturers have to build to strict & stricter(EuroII) Emissions standards. They are hamstrung by this...so while we can, we can do mods to correct the situation.

Like everyone said. You've done everything except the most important, the PC-III. The other thing you should do is download the smoothness map for the PC. There is one on this site that is for Gen-II bikes and that's the one that makes the FJR really a wonderful bike to ride. Another thing is to take up the slack (if any) in the throttle cable. When you roll into that corner and out after installing the PC-III and map you will absolutely love it.

Have fun!

I came off a Triumph Sprint and it was so smooth that you forgot you were riding. This bike never lets you relax. It is almost hard to ride it. Makes it rough when unlike a car you can't test ride them first, well at most places.

Maybe its just a matter of riding style, but for what it's worth, here's my cheap (free) fix.

Go into the turn one gear lower than you currently enter them. This will cause you to be on the throttle as you enter and you avoid the lurch coming out. The other advantage of this is that you are generally in a higher RPM range when rolling back on the power, and therefore, you come shooting out of the corner much faster and more in control.

While this is a bit disconcerting at first, due to high engine noise, give it a try for a few miles of twisties. What have you got to lose except the 300 bucks for the PCIII. I'm not trying to downplay what others have said about the PCIII. Just offering a possible cost saving alternative.