Sena SMH-10 and Droid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JET

Reaction score
FWIW-

Thought I would put up a post with another alternative to comms,nav and streaming music. I'm using a Droid with my Sena SMH-10 dual unit.

Pairing/connecting

The Droid works great with the Google maps, streaming music and phone. Easy pairing/connection to the Sena unit. The GPS over rides the music when it's time to turn. I didn't use the display because the voice over was all I needed. I did have a hard time once trying to tell if the unit was on. I had stopped and was attempting to communicate to my passenger. The Sena unit has a noticeable lag bewteen the time it takes to hit the large "jog" button and the actual time it connects to the passenger unit. Probably about 3-5 seconds.

Accessibility:

The Sena buttons were easy to operate with gloves. Turning on/off is real easy and the unit changes state fast. Forwarding through my music playlist was easy. Adjusting the volume was effortless. Using one button for pretty much everything makes it easy. I forgot to try and make a call because I was having fun riding. But the incoming call would be fairly easy to see if the display brightness was turned up a little. I'm not sure if I would use the phone anyway. I hate people that drive and use their phone so I only imagine using that as an emergency. But I will test that once and probably never use it again.

Mounting:

I used the RAM universal mount. It held the phone tightly and offered plenty of cooling, but no weather protection. However, the plan is to stick the phone in my jacket during inclement weather as the smartphones all put off some good heat when multi tasking. The small finger clamps worked well and I used the medium sized ones on the ends to keep the phone from sliding out left or right.

Charging:

Didn't need to charge the phone while riding all day (7-8hrs). Granted I didn't use the GPS the whole time either. I did make up a pigtail with an SAE plug on one end and a cigarette lighter adapter on the other end for just in case. I figured I could charge my phone or the Sena units if needed. I have a SAE plug from the battery tender connection, so it's there if needed. This sat in the glovebox for the trip.

Custom Maps:

I made a map in Google then sent it to my phone and followed that, it was pretty easy to do. You can make custom maps and then save them. Of course I can just access the custom maps through the phone via Google directly without sending it to the phone.

Sound:

I just ordered a "earbud" clamp mount as the included speakers are horrible. It reminded me of when I was a kid with my first transistor radio kit.... :blink: I plan to find some speakers instead of earbuds, but I may try earbuds at least once.

Pros:

- I didn't have to buy a GPS

- I already have alot of music on my phone

- SAE to cigarette adapter is convenient, no drilling holes in the fairing

- The mini USB charging connector for the Sena unit is the same for my Droid so I only need one charging cable

- Easy to set up

- Easy to control various features

- Phone didn't over heat

- Custom maps are easy to make on a pc and access on the phone

Cons:

- Lag between pushing the button and "linking" to my passenger

- Included speakers stink for music, lousy quality

- My microphone moved a couple of times and my passenger couldn't hear me but I wasn't sure what was happening.

- It was a pita mounting to a Bilt helmet with the internal "sun visor" as the button for the visor was right where the boom mike came out of the Sena unit.

- No immediate weather protection due to mounting style

Possible mods:

- The Droid turns into "Nav" mod via the proximity of a magnet in a certain location on the back of the phone. This gives you a reduced "Home" menu, shortcuts to music/phone etc , and orients the display horizontally. Otherwise the display was vertical, but the phone oriented horizontal. A piece of magnetic tape should work to activate Nav mod.

- Find some decent non-earbud speakers to mount in the helmet

- Make a easy removeable clamp for the cigarette adapter to mount it to the triple tree where the other wires are. Maybe velcro even.

Overall I think it was worth it. I saved some cash as I wanted to have comms with a passenger anyway. And I didn't have to buy a GPS. If I can fix the quality of the sound that will be a big plus, if not then at least I can listen to something. But then again, I've done a 12 hour ride in the cage with no radio at all and didn't regret it. It was nice chatting with my passenger, and pointing out all the stupid stuff going on around us that she missed :huh: . She did ask if I looked at everybody I passed, and I said mostly. Only because I constantly scan and always make watch body language for accidental lane changes, someone bending over to pick something up, people reading or on the phone, etc. Anyway, it was nice to converse, and just as nice to hit the mute button when the road sarted getting twisty :p

I just ordered the duel set today and look forward to being able to talk with the wife as we ride our seperate bikes. Hopefully, no more guessing if she needs a bathroom stop, fuel stop or just a simple stop to stretch and take photos. Sometimes she drops behind and I am not certain if there is a problem or she is sight seeing. Being able to point out rode hazards will be very useful. A friend let me use 1 from his set this past weekend and I was impressed with the small size and the ease of use. Right now all I am interested in is talking with other riders but will try the other features in the future.

Jet, Good review. BTW, what make/model of Droid are you using? Thanks.

dog5235, would be interested in results of range between bikes after you've tried yours out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up! I've got a Droid x and should be getting my Ram mount universal holder today. I've got the 1st gen Blueant interphone helmet intercomm system with mono, so the gps won't connect to it, you have to have stereo for some reason. Anyway, I tried it out a little bit last Sat with the car dock suction cup on the speedo face and the biggest problem was seeing the screen at all in direct sunlight. That wouldn't be a problem if it would connect to the headset...hmmm, might have to upgrade. The biggest drawback is the lack of weatherproofing. Like you said, smartphones get really hot when running gps and charging at the same time and if you don't charge, your battery isn't gonna last long. So...you can't use an otterbox or stick them in your map pocket on your tankbag, so if it rains, you have to put it in your (waterproof) pocket and then you have no gps. I was this close to putting my Garmin 2720 up for sale, but think I'll keep it for a rainy day...so to speak!

Very nice write up!

However, your lag time with the passenger comms seems excessive. My passenger or other paired rider is no more than a second.

Now I don't have any music hooked up when I'm chatting with others...but, if I were you, I would talk to your SENA dealer for a new unit or a fix for this issue.

Sound:

I just ordered a "earbud" clamp mount as the included speakers are horrible. It reminded me of when I was a kid with my first transistor radio kit.... :blink: I plan to find some speakers instead of earbuds, but I may try earbuds at least once.
IMO The earbud clamp is the best! I have tried all kinds of in-helmet speakers over the years and they never sound good to me. I bought the Sena earbud clamp and made myself a set of custom molded earbuds using a set of Jlab buds and some of that custom earplug goo you can get through Amazon and the sound is great. Also they don't fall out when I put my helmet on or get loose while I am riding.

I have the Droid X, and and Garmin 765t, both paired to my autocom.

The reason I stayed away from using the Droid for GPS duty is that cell phones are completely dependant upon Cell signal, which is not constant when I tour.

Do you not find that losing signal when least expected is disruptive? Doesn't the phone have a tough time recovering after losing signal and finding it again (or even losing, finding, losing, finding, etc. in those outlying areas?)

I have the Droid X, and and Garmin 765t, both paired to my autocom.

The reason I stayed away from using the Droid for GPS duty is that cell phones are completely dependant upon Cell signal, which is not constant when I tour.

Do you not find that losing signal when least expected is disruptive? Doesn't the phone have a tough time recovering after losing signal and finding it again (or even losing, finding, losing, finding, etc. in those outlying areas?)
Yep, that could be a problem too, but the way I understand it, the gps still functions w/o a cell signal, but the map requires a cell signal. If you're out of cell range for a while, you'll lose the map depending on how much is cached in the phones memory. Another reason I'll hang on to my Garmin 2720. The Droid will suffice for day trips where cell coverage won't be an issue, but the Garmin will come along for longer trips.

I haven't had a problem dropping out yet while using gps. Actually, I use my phone all over the US on a weekly basis, and only once in a while is it a problem. But generally when I get in an area that my maps/gps don't work there aren't too many roads to get lost on anyway....

Good point Wheaton. I didn't have a reference concerning the lag time, so I just assumed it was normal. I can also distinctly hear some static once we connect, I wonder if that's abnormal also.

On a side note, I emailed Sena about the firmware updates that are available for this new unit. They said no updates yet, but they expect once they start to have regular updates possibly on a quarterly basis more or less. Multi-user conferencing is one on the list to come soon, and of course any applicable user feedback bug fixes.

Sweet. Cant wait to start using the dual set I bought yesterday.

I too have a Droid X and am struggling with mounting it for use in inclement weather. After scouring the net it appears the best option (for us RAM Mount users anyway) is the Medium/Wide Aquabox. The Medium is a perfect fit but there is no room for the charger plug. The Med./Wide allows room for it but unfortunately it is the size of a Kindle notebook!

On a side note it sounds as if you can pair each headset to its own phone...is that correct?

And is it possible to pair a Sena unit to two Blutooth units (i.e. GPS and Droid)? I could then use my GPS for Bluetooth directions and even calls while streaming pandora or music from my Droid. Probably not but figured I'd ask.

After scouring the net it appears the best option (for us RAM Mount users anyway) is the Medium/Wide Aquabox.
Find a charging cable with an angled plug, like this, and you might be able to use the medium box.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Usb-Mini-B-5-pin-5p-female-right-angle-micro-B-cable-/230639731796?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item35b3330454#ht_3610wt_902

And is it possible to pair a Sena unit to two Blutooth units (i.e. GPS and Droid)? I could then use my GPS for Bluetooth directions and even calls while streaming pandora or music from my Droid. Probably not but figured I'd ask.
The bluetooth specification lists that a device can have ONE active profile running at a time. That means you can have ONE connection to a GPS using the ad2p profile, AND ONE connection to the phone using the headset profile. You cannot have TWO ad2p's or TWO headsets.

Not familiar with your Droid X (I have an EPIC and EVO) but there might be a way to tell the phone which profile to use when paired - audio or headset - and some GPS (notably my Garmin) can do the same (Phone vs. phone+mp3+audio). However, I haven't had a whole lot of luck with that, and am pairing the Sena to the phone only (for both headset and ad2p). When I did the Garmin headset connection plus phone ad2p the ad2p would skip every 2-3 seconds. It just didn't work very well ...

Good luck!

EDIT:

I forgot to mention .. the AquaBox membrane sort of works with these phones. Works great with my wife's unadorned Tourmaster goatskin gloves, doesn't work for crap with my Tourmaster deertours even with capacitative stylus or thinkgeek "glovedots". I'm considering ditchign the aquabox in favor of the Ram finger-holder-thingy.

One other consideration for the RAM Aquabox is heat...depending on where you live, charging the phone in the Aqua box can cause a high temperature shutdown (I had this issue with my iPhone). I changed to the RAM cradle for my phone, and I was able to have my GPS app up and running for the entire ride home, even in 115* weather. Of course, we don't get much rain here...

Ok, thanks for the feedback! I have the right angle cable on order although it looks like the smh comes with a pair. I'll plug it on and bounce it off an outline of the interior dimensions of each aqua box.

I went to the sena sight and they had some good video of a unit being paired to a phone, bluetooth mp3 player and a harmon at once. I may just use my old garmin for bluetooth directions and keep the phone in the gorillaz for streaming music and calls. I guess I'll try it out this weekend.

Everybody with Android phones, check out the app 'Car Home Ultra'. It's like the car dock the X comes with only much better. You can try it out free for 30 days and then if you like it, it's only 2 bucks I think. You can assign 18 different apps/phone #'s or whatever and the home screen tells you what street you're on, the weather and what direction you're heading. It's the schizz! And no, I'm not the developer. I assigned the camcorder as one of the homescreen apps and took a quick vid riding to work this morning touching the screen just twice.

Everybody with Android phones, check out the app 'Car Home Ultra'. It's like the car dock the X comes with only much better. You can try it out free for 30 days and then if you like it, it's only 2 bucks I think. You can assign 18 different apps/phone #'s or whatever and the home screen tells you what street you're on, the weather and what direction you're heading. It's the schizz! And no, I'm not the developer. I assigned the camcorder as one of the homescreen apps and took a quick vid riding to work this morning touching the screen just twice.

Very nice! That was one of my beefs with the home screen on my Droid while in "car" mode. I couldn't configure the nifty shortcuts they had on there. Maybe there is a way, but I haven't found it yet.

Yep, I'm loving it, you can set it to 'auto brightness' and it's much easier to see in daylight and switches to different colors/brightness after sundown. I gotta upgrade my bluetooth headset now though, mine only does intercomm/phone calls and it's not stereo. I wanna try out Pandora radio while riding, no commercials and no fiddling with playlists. Don't like the song? Push 'skip' until one comes on you do like!

Yep, I'm loving it, you can set it to 'auto brightness' and it's much easier to see in daylight and switches to different colors/brightness after sundown. I gotta upgrade my bluetooth headset now though, mine only does intercomm/phone calls and it's not stereo. I wanna try out Pandora radio while riding, no commercials and no fiddling with playlists. Don't like the song? Push 'skip' until one comes on you do like!
I think there's a limit on how many skips you can do in each session - at least that's the case with the version of Pandora on my Blueray player at home, and pretty sure the same thing happened to me on my iPod version as well.

Same here, can only skip around 5 or 6 songs until Pandora doesn't allow you to skip anymore.

Hijack: Looking at a few avatars in this thread it looks like we have a few Weimaraner owners on this forum. Myself included! A fantastic 8 year old female!