Sena SMH10(R) vs. Scala G9

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you buy next time

• Sena SMH10R

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • Scala G9

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
Your two poll questions are kinda redundant... now maybe if you added more than 1 choice for each brand like Scala G4 or even the Q2Pro (especially for price watchers).
Anywhooo, this has been hashed out quite a bit on my other sites so why not here I guess? I run the SRC (made by Scala) installed within the C3-Pro, can B/B pair with any Scala rider system quite easily. I upgraded to Bose ultra driver/speakers. Beyond awesome sound, my price is also way up there
sad.png

I have friends with both systems you mentioned. Both have pluses and minuses, let the rant roll on....
Hey, Speed:

Can't find those Bose ultra driver speakers through google search. How much and where?

I've been using a G4 the last few years; only bitch being too low volume (I wear plugs). Thought I'd try the SMH10, since it was advertised as having better volume. POS didn't work right out of the box; I sent it back for a refund and stuck with the G4.
Plenty of volume on my G4, I stopped using ear plugs though. You must have the speakers lined up just right.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Your two poll questions are kinda redundant... now maybe if you added more than 1 choice for each brand like Scala G4 or even the Q2Pro (especially for price watchers).
Anywhooo, this has been hashed out quite a bit on my other sites so why not here I guess? I run the SRC (made by Scala) installed within the C3-Pro, can B/B pair with any Scala rider system quite easily. I upgraded to Bose ultra driver/speakers. Beyond awesome sound, my price is also way up there
sad.png

I have friends with both systems you mentioned. Both have pluses and minuses, let the rant roll on....
Hey, Speed:

Can't find those Bose ultra driver speakers through google search. How much and where?
You buy the whole headphones and remove the drivers. The new model now is the OE2 or OE2i reviews here The noise cancelling models are more money and not sure if you would get the entire benefit (electronic wise maybe) as remember you are losing the muff/surround. You may be the guinea pig on these if you go this route, not sure if any sound quality would be lost however? ..and with the Schuberth C3-Pro, the helmet is already quiet. No need for ear plugs... hey! you don't want to muffle that hi-quality sound!
smile.png

I started my first speaker upgrade with Koss Porta Pro

(video is on the plain C3 however). After a week of riding with the Porta's I had a pair of the Bose U's and decided to go one step further (I'm a tinkerer). BTW- The Koss Porta Pro drivers are no slouch... excellent quality sound, not quite as much bass/punch maybe as the Bose but they're pretty damn good for the price!
smile.png

Speaking of price, The Bose will run you around $150, the Porta-Pro's however can be had for way under $50! My advice would be to start as I did with the PP's ...and betting 99% of peeps will be drooling with these very affordable drivers.

Another option for the SMH10R's are ear buds. Purportedly, via the Sena rep on their support forum, the ear bud adapters will be ready around the August timeframe.

I am looking at either custom fit Etymotics or Splugs.

Have the G4 for about 2 years. great investment. Only issue has been the FM radio, but I don't listen to the radio when I'm riding anyway.

Look at the Collett Comunicators. The ones I have work perfectly .
I've got a pair of MicroFone 2 (mit der bluetooth) that I'm selling cheap (both still work). These things still compare favorably to what's out there now. Way ahead of their time.

But I've moved on to Sena's as I really like chatting with the guys I'm riding with.

Make me an offer.

I've been using the G4 for just over 2 years. It replaced a parade of Autocom units and I have to admit I do not miss the scratchy sounds coming from the poor wired connections of the autocom. All this technology is vastly improved over the past few years. I love my latest G4 as it finally works exactly the way I want it to. It was not always the case. There a host of challenges for these companies to make a device that is compatible with a technology that changes dramatically like your cell phones,

First and foremost should be the customer service of these company you buy from. Scala has been spectacular. Responsive, quick turn, never any issues. A welcome change to what we all know has happened to customer service in this country lately. I did have problems with my units. In there defense, some if it has to be shared with the "newness" (at the time) of all the Bluetooth stuff you can do with your smart phone. But other areas like failing in a down pour, losing a speaker , etc (consistently of a groups of rider friends) left me unhappy with the fact that my warranty was expiring last month.

Jason at Scala understood my concerns, and indicated they were no longer manufacturing the base for the G4. The G9 base is now used for everything. If you're out of warranty, it's worth the replacement. The speakers are better, clearer, louder especially when close to your ears (and yes I wear plugs as well). It's gotten to the point where I now actually turn the volume down because I'll get a head ache from all that noise!

The cell phone connectivity works exactly the way I have always wanted it to. Speak commands, dials connects, clear as day. Some clients can't even tell I'm on a bike (Shoei NeoTech Helmet). When it hangs up, it immediately goes back to Pandora.

I'm extremely satisfied with the product, but more importantly the company. Great technology that simply works. At $360 a set on Amazon, buy a set and split it with a buddy. $180 for each is a real steal.

FYI: Battery lasts all day, and range is limited to site (sort of) but it can be 1-2 miles depending on where you are. We use these extensively in group rides to warn of road hazards, up coming turns, cagers on cells, etc. It's become part of the protective gear we use when we ride. Both units will serve you well.

Look at the Collett Comunicators. The ones I have work perfectly .
I have a barely used set of Collette's if anyone wants something cheap! Two Model 9's if I recall/ Has both the big and small batteries for each unit, charges etc. Moving to Reno to make me a reasonable offer and they're yours.

I LOVE my Sena SMH10's, and their newer device is a slimmer profile.

The sound volume is pretty darn good. When I first got them I had a little issue but one firmware upgrade and that was all fixed.

I am using a Nolan N104 XL, and the recesses built in to the styrofoam under the fabric padding hold the Sena speakers perfectly, and again the sound is perfect. I bluetooth to my droid, for GPS, MUSIC and phone, although with the Droid voice commands I can do a whole lot.

One major complaint is that I cannot get my droid to listen to certain commands via the BT mic. For instance, when in car mode on the bike, droid says "incoming text from blah blah, say "hear it" if you want to hear it" In the car I just say the command and voila I hear the text. On the bike, I hear the request in my headset, but it doesn't listen to my mic it is listening to air whistling around my Razr Maxx instead. No one cares enough to add that feature to the phone, or build a BT Moto app that listens to ALL commands via BT Mic.

LOVE SENA though.. and they offer an ear bud version of their headset too. The nolan N104 is definitely kind of noisy, so ear buds may be my next upgrade.I do occasionally wear ear plugs and still no problem enjoying Rush in my helmet.

Just a note, the slim design model is very nice (aesthetically) BUT you do lose a bit of performance/quality as reported by many users.

Thanks for all the info fellers. I pulled the plug and ordered up a set of 2 Sena smh10's. Biggest factors from my research? For a couple extra bucks, I can order a clamp unit with a plug for ear buds, they're good and loud, and.... drum roll please... the G9's cost nearly twice as much. That matters on my budget. By the way, did ya know that the G4's have been discontinued?

Gary

darksider #44

Nice upgrade Top_Speed! May have to give it a shot!
Oh yeah, the Koss Porta Pro's are a natural first enhancement to any headset Comm system. If you got the extra cash, go right to the Bose and enjoy the more bass/punch. Love my Bose sound in the C3-Pro. AWEsome!

My g/f caught me sitting on the couch with my helmet on just tuning out... we laughed r asses off later about it.

Cheers