Setting Up A 2013 FJR for LD Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a clock for different time zones.
rolleyes.gif

One area that may need addressing is the rear.....subframe structure. The Pelican doesn't appear to be far back but not sure how much weight you are planning on adding in there.

On photo #2 'the left side" - I was going to ask you what the guage was that was mounted to the top of your topbox.
Well, when you get older and eye sight begins to blur, bigger clock faces help a lot while stopped on rallies with my laptop open. Easier to know the time then. ;)

Shuey

PS: Well . . . actually, it's a yard clock located behind the bike. That would be why it doesn't show up in the pic of the right side. :)

One area that may need addressing is the rear.....subframe structure. The Pelican doesn't appear to be far back but not sure how much weight you are planning on adding in there.
That's a good point and has been addressed. The stock piece on the rear has the rear mounting platform for a top box or whatever and a handle on each side. It attaches to the bike with 3 bolts. That was removed.

Longer bolts were used to bolt my custom mounting deck, through 3 custom built extension pieces (about 2" high) to raise the deck above the seat, then into the stock bolt holes in the frame. It's rock solid . . . no worries.

The Pelican is now bolted to to the deck, but will be moved up when an aux fuel cell gets sandwiched under it.

Shuey

dcarver . . . thanks for assisting this "trainee."

Much easier to see the pics posted rather than clicking back and forth between here and Photobucket pages. It won't be to long before my training wheels come off and I'll be able to do this on my own!

Shuey

That's a good point and has been addressed. The stock piece on the rear has the rear mounting platform for a top box or whatever and a handle on each side. It attaches to the bike with 3 bolts. That was removed.

Longer bolts were used to bolt my custom mounting deck, through 3 custom built extension pieces (about 2" high) to raise the deck above the seat, then into the stock bolt holes in the frame. It's rock solid . . . no worries.

The Pelican is now bolted to to the deck, but will be moved up when an aux fuel cell gets sandwiched under it.

Shuey
Think I understand your mod but it's the actual subframe on the bike that is suspect when stressed. Material used could be better suited for a load. If I'm not correct about your changes just disregard the mumblings of this older FJR enjoyer. Go out an LD it!

Shuey,

Just caught this thread. Welcome to the family buddy! The FJR is looking sweet. Some advice..... Treat it with a little more respect than you did your STs...i.e... Keep it away from the deer and interstate shoulders
smile.png

Perry

Last edited by a moderator:
Shuey,

I love what you are doing in setting up your FJR.

Question: It's hard to tell from the pictures, but what are the microswitches you are using for on/off on the Erica's and powering up your GPS's?

Thanks,

Tanker

That thing is looking great! I must say, you won't have any problems lighting up the night!

Why are there two GPS units? I understand the redundancy aspect, but are you running different routes on them? Or maybe different zoom levels?

Oh, and can you add a pic of your pegs? I couldn't zoom in enough to see them. That bike is the most custom FJR I have seen...Bravo Shuey!

Shuey
Think I understand your mod but it's the actual subframe on the bike that is suspect when stressed. Material used could be better suited for a load. If I'm not correct about your changes just disregard the mumblings of this older FJR enjoyer. Go out an LD it!
Hmmm . . . after my rear shock "learning experience" I'm maybe more appreciative of information provided by those more knowledgeable than I. Thanks for coming back at this. After seeing the loads racked up on several IBR FJRs maybe I've made an inaccurate assumption here. I'll get some expert advise and take a much closer look at this issue.

Anyone else have any information on subframe limitations?

Shuey

Shuey,
Just caught this thread. Welcome to the family buddy! The FJR is looking sweet. Some advice..... Treat it with a little more respect than you did your STs...i.e... Keep it away from the deer and interstate shoulders
smile.png

Perry
Hey Perry!

Glad to see you piping in. I treated all three of my STs with respect! Problems weren't due to any limitations in that department.

The Clearwaters seem to be helping in the deer avoidance department and as for the other problem . . . well, that was one of ignorance not being bliss. What you don't know can hurt/kill you. I was lucky/blessed and really appreciate, btw, your stopping by then.

Hope to see you soon. Any trips/rallies on your riding schedule?

Shuey

Shuey,
I love what you are doing in setting up your FJR.

Question: It's hard to tell from the pictures, but what are the microswitches you are using for on/off on the Erica's and powering up your GPS's?

Thanks,

Tanker
Well . . . I need to check with my friend Kreis, who found and installed them, to find out where they came from. I'll get back to you on this one.

Shuey

That thing is looking great! I must say, you won't have any problems lighting up the night! Why are there two GPS units? I understand the redundancy aspect, but are you running different routes on them? Or maybe different zoom levels? Oh, and can you add a pic of your pegs? I couldn't zoom in enough to see them. That bike is the most custom FJR I have seen...Bravo Shuey!
Why 2 GPSs (not counting the iPhone capabilities as a 3rd backup)? Good question! You already have most of the answers . . .

Mainly to eliminate the need for paper maps. One GPS is zoomed in to show me the local area and what roads are coming up. The problem is that if you zoom out to see where a road goes, often times the smaller roads disappear. Therefore, the second GPS can show a larger area in view with major roads while the other stays at the smaller area view.

Another reason, is to have the Zumo 660 do the navigation work while I display the XM radio controls on the Zumo 665. Easier to change the channels without a lot of button pushing. OR if weather may be threatening, the 665 will be set to display the Weather Radar full time so I can sometimes avoid problems or be prepared for what I'm heading into.

Lastly, for rally work, having two GPSs saves time. One is navigating me to the next bonus location while the other is set up for the bonus location after that. On arriving, I satisfy the bonus collection requirement then take off following the directions of the other GPS which was already set. On the way, I'll update the now unused GPS to the bonus location 2 bonuses out.

Pegs. I experimented with swapping out the stock pegs for Honda GL1800 pegs like I did in my STs. They are a bit wider and much more comfortable, however they don't quite fit the FJR bracket and I haven't yet pursued modifying them to get them to work. It'll be a future project.

Shuey

Shuey
Shuey:

Just found this thread. From a fellow IBR'r congrats on the new ride and its looking great and ready to go.

I would have to second the advice given above. When riding unloaded the stock rear subframe on the FJR is fine. Subject it to usual abuse that the LD community does will pretty much guarantee that at some point it is going to fail.

FWIW. On My GenI FJR I caught the crack before it completely failed. Had it fixed, but the following year (before the 2011 IBR) I went back and had extra plates welded in to reinforce the whole cast piece at the back. When in non LD mode I use one of the GIVI racks that is made of steel (or is it alum?) but replaces the stock plastic thing and hand rails. Once bolted on it actually beefs up the entire tail section. When I am running with Fuel cell installed It is actually bolted in 6 places: 2 at the front seat, 2 at the hand rail and 2 at the rear. When installed it actually reinforces the entire rear subframe considerably. PM me and I can send you some links to pics of what I did if your interested.

Short recommendation is that I would definitely look into reinforcing\strengthening the whole area.

- Colin

PS. Now that you have an FJR you also need a new license plate!

Short recommendation is that I would definitely look into reinforcing\strengthening the whole area.
- Colin

The voice of experience. Thanks for the input, truly. I'll get something done.

Yes, I'd be interested in pics!

As for the plate, well, in Florida they last 5 years and I'm to cheap to buy another before this one is "used up." So, it's no longer "ST" as in Honda bike model, it's "Street Fever". Then again, maybe I'm better off going with what several have guessed over the years . . . "Saint Fever." I need all the help I can get.

Thanks Colin.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Colin

The voice of experience. Thanks for the input, truly. I'll get something done.

Yes, I'd be interested in pics!

As for the plate, well, in Florida they last 5 years and I'm to cheap to buy another before this one is "used up." So, it's no longer "ST" as in Honda bike model, it's "Street Fever". Then again, maybe I'm better off going with what several have guessed over the years . . . "Saint Fever." I need all the help I can get.

Thanks Colin.
"ST" = Sport Touring. I think it meant that before that poser Honda introduced the 1100

Shuey
Hmmm . . . after my rear shock "learning experience" I'm maybe more appreciative of information provided by those more knowledgeable than I. Thanks for coming back at this. After seeing the loads racked up on several IBR FJRs maybe I've made an inaccurate assumption here. I'll get some expert advise and take a much closer look at this issue.

Anyone else have any information on subframe limitations?

Shuey
Rear Sub Frame Stiffener -- https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/154924-gen23-subframe-stiffy-kit-by-garauld/

Latest posts