SFO 2016 - Oct. 27th thru Oct. 30th in Jemison, Alabama!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I'm a little confused. How many Hotels are we all staying at in the area? We generally try to all stay in the same place. Makes it easier for us to leave together in groups, plan routes, have a libation after rides with the group, etc.

GP

Ok. I'm a little confused. How many Hotels are we all staying at in the area? We generally try to all stay in the same place. Makes it easier for us to leave together in groups, plan routes, have a libation after rides with the group, etc.
GP

That's excellent! This is working out just as planned, maximum confusion. In the past we've always been way too organized and it's been way too easy for everyone to just meet at one motel, stay there, make riding plans while drinking a beer or two. But not this year! We are going for MAXIMUM CONFUSION!

Actually, GP - go to the first post in this thread and it explains the concept of this years event. This was mostly devised as a camping event to be held at my property near Jemison, Alabama. All post riding events, dinner, libations etc... will take place there. Since not everyone wants to or likes to camp, I have laid out different options at the nearest hotels to my property. For those of you staying at the hotel, we will have a shuttle service to and from the primary hotel that I have recommended, and that is the Best Western in Clanton. See details for the recommended lodging here

Friday and Saturday Rides

The daily routes will start from the Best Western in Clanton. We will all meet there at 8 a.m. to get ready to head out for the rides each day. By ALL, I mean those of us staying at the property in Jemison (tent campers) and others that might be staying at a different hotel than the Best Western, in addition to those of you that will be lodging there.

We will have two or three different routes for you to choose from each day. There will be someone familiar with the area leading the rides. If you prefer to design your own ride and put a group together, great! Whatever you prefer.

Friday and Saturday Night

After you return from riding and get cleaned up or whatever, we will pick everyone up at the hotel at a designated time (6 p.m.??) shuttle you to the evenings events that are being help at my property, where several people will be camping. You can enjoy dinner, music, libations, chit chat, ride planning, whatever ... there at my property. Then, at some point in the evening, we'll get everyone back to the hotel around 10:00 to 10:30 to rest up for the next day's ride. I'll do this both Friday and Saturday night.

****For those that want to just ride their bike to my place for the evening activities, that's completely up to you. I'm just offering to get you to and from the hotel so that you can enjoy libations and know that you can get back to the hotel safe and sound that evening. If you don't plan on consuming adult beverages and don't mind a 12 mile interstate ride back to your hotel, then by all means, ride your bike to and from my place.

Thursday arrivals

As for those coming in Thursday and staying at the motel, although we won't have an organized dinner on Thursday night... I'll get you from the hotel to my place and back to the hotel Thursday night if you'd like. Either way, we'll plan on all meeting at the Best Western on Friday a.m. at 8 am to head out on our ride Friday morning. We can nail all of that down when we know who is arriving on Thursday night and where they plan on staying.

It shouldn't be too difficult for us to pull this off. I will arrange to get all of you to and from your hotel each evening for activities as a group and we will leave out in the mornings for the days' rides from the Best Western in Clanton a little after 8 am. It's really that simple.

Any further questions, just post them up folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know..... this is sounding too organized..... Lol. Group rides? Departure times? What!?!?

These were my plans for the weekend-

Show up at some woods in Alabama.

Lay down a sleeping bag.

Eat, drink, and be merry.

Maybe sleep.

Wake up when someone kicks me.

Ride the bike (preferably following someone who thinks they know where they are going).

And then rinse and repeat until Sunday.

Don't be confusing me with certain times and group rides and hotels and shuttle services!!!!

Next thing you're gonna say is there is going to be a group picture!!!!! And at a certain place!! And at a certain time!! LOL!

You know those retired guys have their schedules they have to follow, Julie.
grin.gif
But you're welcome for the additional confusion! That's what I'm shooting for here - maximum confusion!!! Glad I could be of assistance!

....and to assist those of you traveling from out of state, Wet and dry counties in Alabama Something I was not aware of, but in studying that map, every dry county in Alabama now has at least one city that has voted to go wet. And they say Alabama isn't a progressive state!
nono.gif

Jemison and Clanton both are in Chilton Co., which is wet. So, no worries GP, unless you are looking for daft! Just keeping with the theme of confusion!!!
stinker.gif

Wow...I never did this much work for a Ramble. Kudos to Bandit for bending over backwards to accommodate.

People are confused because they are not used to this. They are used to be told where the hell to go...whether you like it or not!

:D

Wow...I never did this much work for a Ramble. Kudos to Bandit for bending over backwards to accommodate.
People are confused because they are not used to this. They are used to be told where the hell to go...whether you like it or not!

biggrin.png

It's jus' in ou'wa natur ta be hospitable dauwn he'ar, Wheetie.
winksmiley02.gif

biggrin.png

It's jus' in ou'wa natur ta be hospitable dauwn he'ar, Wheetie.
winksmiley02.gif
Tha's cool.

Have still. Will travel. Jes not dis fall. Y'all have a good 'un!

And now for a programming note.....

Pants is bringing one more, my buddy Nate. I told Nate he must ride his own bike. Thankfully, he has one.

In recognition of this new development, I've decided that I will be bringing the Tequila AND the Rye Whiskey.

That is all for now.

And now for a programming note.....
Pants is bringing one more, my buddy Nate. I told Nate he must ride his own bike. Thankfully, he has one.

In recognition of this new development, I've decided that I will be bringing the Tequila AND the Rye Whiskey.

That is all for now.
And what bike does Nate ride?

I'm glad you asked. Nate is working on an old Kawasaki ZRX restoration, but his regular ride is a BMW GS. The story of how he got the beemer is interesting.

Nate's wife worked at the BMW shop at the time. One day, Nate arranged for a test ride of the GS. Out of absolutely no where, a dog appeared on the road, he hit it, and crashed. He wasn't hurt (ATGATT). The bike had significant damage, but nothing too serious. Nate's insurance paid the dealership for the damages and then Nate asked them if they would consider not fixing the bike and just selling it to him discounted. They agreed and over the next 6 months, Nate fixed all of the damage himself, using a few aftermarket and used parts where he could. Not exactly the best way to buy a GS, but it makes for an interesting story.

I'm glad you asked. Nate is working on an old Kawasaki ZRX restoration, but his regular ride is a BMW GS. The story of how he got the beemer is interesting.
Nate's wife worked at the BMW shop at the time. One day, Nate arranged for a test ride of the GS. Out of absolutely no where, a dog appeared on the road, he hit it, and crashed. He wasn't hurt (ATGATT). The bike had significant damage, but nothing too serious. Nate's insurance paid the dealership for the damages and then Nate asked them if they would consider not fixing the bike and just selling it to him discounted. They agreed and over the next 6 months, Nate fixed all of the damage himself, using a few aftermarket and used parts where he could. Not exactly the best way to buy a GS, but it makes for an interesting story.
Interesting indeed!

You may add "Poolboytoo" to the "camping" list. I'm guessing I'll be there on thursday. Could be in the area earlier if I get all my pools put to bed. Have a nephew in Madison,AL I must visit for sure. (Man I hope I get to meet Redfish Hunter)
whistle.gif

Well allright!!!! My brutha from another mutha is going south for the fall!!!

I'll probably camp on the Natchez Trace Wed. night, Mark. Come meet me and we can ride in together on Thurs!!

That's great news Pool Boy! We are still holding out hope that RFH will be able to make it as well.

I have updated the Current Attendees List in the first post of this thread. Looks like the "camping" list is beginning to outpace the "hotel" list.

Friday night entertainment

I have some exciting news to share with you. I am pleased to announce that I have lined up some excellent entertainment for us for Friday night. We will have an outstanding guitarist playing for us from 7ish to 9ish Friday evening. While there will not be a charge or a rally fee to attend, this will be a "pass the hat" event. There will be zero pressure to contribute if you don't want to, but I think once you see the talent that my friend Allen Barlow possesses you will have no problem making a meager donation to help offset the cost to the event organizer (moi). He will take your requests and his repertoire includes most any rock or blues from Elvis, to Led Zepplin, to Steely Dan to the Stone Temple Pilots, you name it and Allen can very likely play it - probably better than you've ever heard it played in person before. Trust me, you will be amazed at what this guy can do with a six string! This, alone, is a good reason to make sure you are at SFO this year.

As for our dinners -

Thursday evening - we'll just be winging it. Depending on how many are in attendance Thursday night we'll probably just pull out the grill and have burgers and hot dogs, or run up the road and catch dinner somewhere. We'll be playing this one by ear....

Friday evening - a very good friend of mine has agreed to prepare a low country/shrimp corn boil for us. He's a pro, but only requires free beer for his efforts. I don't yet have a feel for the costs, but again, we'll just be splitting the total by the number of attendees. As I have mentioned before, I will be making every effort to keep each of our two dinners to under $15. Although fresh shrimp is not cheap, we'll offset that by having plenty of good sausage in the boil as well. Sodas and (southern) tea will be provided, BYOB on your adult beverages of choice.

Saturday night - a co-worker of mine who does competition BBQ cookoffs has agreed to bring in his smoker on Saturday, and while we are all out enjoying our ride he'll be on site smoking Boston Butt and Ribs for us. This should be a real treat! Again, I expect the cost of this dinner, inclusive of desert and beverages, not to exceed $15. Again, it's BYOB on your adult beverages of choice.

We'll be shooting to eat around 6:30 to 7 p.m. each night.

Well, I'll be danged! Gonna get the full southern hospitality on this trip!!!

And I think I'm gonna add a night to my "reservation".... Looking like I might prefer to roll in on Thursday night. So I can experience more of the south. That will give me Friday AND Saturday to follow someone around....

Plan to roll down into the Birmingham area on Wednesday night, visit the Barber museum on Thursday morning, and then campsite by sundown.

That might be the only planning I do for this trip.

Oh, and I also see you guys are in "the other" time zone. So I gotta work that into my calculations.... Hmm.

And also hoping for no snow and ice when I depart Ohio or when I arrive back into Ohio. Well, the arrival.... I wouldn't mind so much. "Oh darn, I'm stuck in Alabama for the winter. What a shame."

(It's been known to snow and ice on Halloween weekend....)