SFO 2017 - Official Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of these days ..... JSNS
I kept saying that. And kept saying that. And then BeemerdonS went off and died. I never met him in person. And then Big Sky died too. I never met him either. So even though I cannot make but one gathering a year, I make an effort and I drag Dear Old Dad along with me. Pop will not last forever and neither will the rest of us.

That is how I met YOU and a whole bunch of other wonderful forum folks.

JSNS

Uh, I take it that you operate on a Fiscal Year that begins in October and thus your "one gathering a year" calendar resets.
bye.gif

I'm thinking I'll probably head up and check out the Barber motorsports expansion on Saturday. Just throwing that out there if anyone is interested.
Absolutely, I've been there several times and I will go again. What a great place to visit. It has to be one of the best MC collection in the US.

I'm thinking I'll probably head up and check out the Barber motorsports expansion on Saturday. Just throwing that out there if anyone is interested.
Absolutely, I've been there several times and I will go again. What a great place to visit. It has to be one of the best MC collection in the US.
Puh, outside perhaps the Ducati and Honda factory archives/museums, Barber is probably the best motorcycle collection in the world.

If you haven't visited the Barber Museum, I highly recommend that you set aside a half day to check it out while you are in the area. The museum is not to be missed when anywhere near Birmingham. I don't have to tell the ones who have been, they already know and likely many will go again.

I posted a few routes over in the other sandbox. I made these in Google My Maps but they can be converted to GPX with this link.

This ride loops over into Western Georgia, great little ride that would take all day with stops and lunch.

Lineville Loop

This ride loops over into West Alabama, which we did not do last year. There is some good riding on this route, beautiful scenery and the famous Dreamland BBQ Ribs at the original location!

Dreamland BBQ Loop

For those of you that plan to visit Barber Museum, check out this route. After Barber run down AL 119 and have lunch at Lloyd's Restaurant, a Birmingham favorite that serves homestyle meals. They have with awesome burgers, hamburger steak, catfish, veggies, etc... and did someone say pie??? My favorite is the coconut cream!

This route is less than 200 miles and will allow plenty of time to spend at least a couple hours at the museum, then have lunch at Lloyd's and still have some good riding.

Barber Museum Loop

Uncle Hud drew up one that incorporates Cheaha State Park, the road that we did both days last year.

Cheaha State Park Loop

Here's another one - this is an AWESOME loop further south than we did last year. Read the description under the title for a brief overview.

High Falls - Cheaha Loop

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks Bandit! I was going to ask about recommendations for a good route. I personally can spend an entire day at barber myself. For thise that would like to go we can play it by ear.

Yeah Nate - the museum is certainly one of those places you could sit and drool all day. Those that want to spend more time at the museum but still ride with the other groups, I'd suggest that they arrive a day or two early or stay a day or two after the rally. Hit it on the way in on Thursday or Sunday before departing...

But remember, while in that general area, I'd say don't miss Lloyd's!!! It's only about 15 minutes down the road from Barber. Hit the museum in the morning, head to Lloyd's for 16 oz. hamburger steak, onion rings (they're like those french onion things that come in the can, but fresh!) and a piece of chocolate or coconut cream pie --- after dragging yourself back out to the bike, take the little ride back up to the museum and drool the rest of the afternoon.

Museum to Lloyd's ride route

I am getting excited for this. I have had an intern working with me for the past 8 weeks and had to miss the trip out west. I need a break and this cannot come soon enough. I have been collecting camping gear and am mentally packing and repacking the bike. Barber is a definite stop for me.

Joe

Quick update -

I have confirmed the Friday and Saturday night dinner plans. Friday evening my buddy, Bub's will be preparing the shrimp and corn boil for us again. Also, Alan Barlow will be returning to do some pickin' and grinnin' for us again. I'm still hopeful that he might have his sidekick with him this year. We'll see. Saturday, Stan the BBQ Man and his wife Casey will be smoking the ribs and boston butts for us while we are out riding, again. So if you enjoyed the eats and entertainment last year, get ready for a repeat.

Mrs. Bandit is considering preparing a big pot of her chicken and apple sausage country gumbo for us Thursday evening. I'll ask her to make some of her cornbread for us too. When we get closer I'll have to get a good head count of those that will be in for dinner on Thursday evening. Of course, there will be assorted pies for desert each night.

Only three months out now. If you have made your hotel reservations you might want to go ahead and call the Inn of Clanton. The hotel info is listed in the first post of this thread. As always, any questions just post them up here or shoot me a quick PM.

Now this is just mean: "Of course, there will be assorted pies for desert each night."
smile.png
Only if you're not going to be there...

Can you please add Me as a possible. I won't know for certain until the end of the month. This is one event I've wanted to attend since my first contact with a few members in Arkansas back in 2014. Turk, Craig etc.BigJohn is also a possible.

Crossing my fingers

Festar
Hope this works out, Festar!