Short inseam concerns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, when I first got mine (my second one)..... It was 30 degrees outside at 4:30 in the morning and I was bundled up like the Michelin Man.Threw a leg over and didn't get quite high enough.....

Now, I normally hold the front brake lever when doing this. Ugh. Not this time. My leg got caught and it shoved the bike ever so slightly forward and then the side stand folded.

It's dark. It's cold. It's 4:30 in the morning, and I'm laying there, on the ground, with a bike on top of me.

The Wife walks out and says "how's it going" ?

Ohhhh, not bad, I says.

I picked the bike up and rode it to work.

Amazingly, the rest of that Monday went very well. Very minor scratch to the lower case and nothing on the plastics. That's it.

Oh, and one broken ego.

I got home that evening, and commenced to lower the bike.
Funny post...good recovery. One of my riding buddies has wondered why I felt so ponderous parking, centerstanding etc on my FJR. I'm 5 ft 8 inches, he's about 6 ft 4 inches tall. Anyway he just bought a Super Tenere and I helped him trailor it home.. Next day I asked how he liked his first ride. Well he dropped it getting it off the centerstand. Welcome to the world of tall heavy bikes I say. I don't expect him to comment anymore about me being so careful parking etc on my FJR. Bill

I know this topic has been beaten to death, HOWEVER, personally I don't think we can have too many of these discussions. I am biased because I was one of those folks that LOVED the FJR and had to have one, but had serious concerns about the seat height but decided to make it work. I did this (actually still in the process) thanks in part to the great advice I received from this forum. So, to add to what has already been said, I would like to share my "mods" that made this bike even more enjoyable. Although I do agree that seat height has nothing to do with "riding" per se, I do believe one must feel confident with your machines, and when you struggle to push back from a parking slot, or worry that our foot won't reach the ground enough to hold up the bike, it DOES affect our perception of the bike, and riding in general, at least it does for me.

I did the "lowering" in stages, because of finances and because I only wanted to change one thing at a time (free or cheaper first) and not do more than needed. However, the FIRST thing I did had nothing to do with lowering, but on having some insurance and peace of mind IF I did drop it. I installed the MC guards (I know they look ugly!)they have served me to install the Skene photon blasters, and soon some LED driving lights, and the rear for mounting a headphone jack.

1. First, I lowered the seat to the low position - NOT ENOUGH- removed the frame and rubber "thingys" NOT ENOUGH

2. Installed Kouba 7/8" links, lowered the front, and had the side stand cut and re-welded...ALMOST

3. Sent my seat to https://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php This made little to no difference

4. Purchased these: https://www.elevatorshoes.com/shoes/502-3-side-zip-boots.asp they made a HUGE difference! highly recommend!

5. Recently ordered a Corbin saddle, and had them cut down on the height and do what they call a "nosejob" which means they take material from the front/sides, allowing you not to have so much leg spread, and more vertical reach, this should be IT, I hope so, because I have run out of ideas!

I hope that what I have shared can help someone out there. Don't drink the Kool Aid about just "live with it...or ignore it". If it's important to YOU, by all means, do something to make you feel more comfortable on this fast/beautiful/sexy....yet heavy lady! We spend a lot of money on the bike, insurance, maintenance and Farkles, so why not spend time and money on things that will let us enjoy it??

Well, that was my .02

If the seat's just too high, just buy the Harley you've always wanted and be done with it.

I've never been able to flat foot a bike, nor ever felt the need to. I've dropped the FJR a couple times, but after I get over the embarrassment, I just ride the heck out of it to let it know who's boss.

Well, to each their own. I for one, will NEVER ride a HD, and truly enjoy my FJR after the modifications. Some people don't need them, others don't care, and others want to find alternatives....I simply gave my experiences for the benefit of those that want to make changes.

1. First, I lowered the seat to the low position - NOT ENOUGH- removed the frame and rubber "thingys" NOT ENOUGH

I didn't think of doing that!

::Runs out and removes the frame thing on her first break::

I think that just about cracked it for me. I won't know until I ride home.

I love this forum.

I hope it does the trick for ya! Although it was not quite enough for my purposes, I do recall it made a significant difference, and other than a small gap showing between the seat and the tank...it didn't have any negative results

How did you short folks (like me) NOT put the seat in the low position? That was the first thing I did, once I got the stock seats from Steel and removed my Corbin.

Well, I DID do that, since it was easy and FREE! but didn't get me quite where I wanted to be. If I may ask, why did you go back to the stock seat and remove the Corbin? Was the Corbin seat modified (lower and nose job)?

There are some good ideas here, and thanks to those who contribute to the cause.

One idea that I have not seen discussed is the height of tires.

Are there any sticky tires that are more "low profile" than normal, and recommended?

I would favor traction (wet and dry) over long mileage from tires, but that's just me. I have PR3s, for now.

Thanks,

Infrared

There are some good ideas here, and thanks to those who contribute to the cause.
One idea that I have not seen discussed is the height of tires.

Are there any sticky tires that are more "low profile" than normal, and recommended?

I would favor traction (wet and dry) over long mileage from tires, but that's just me. I have PR3s, for now.

Thanks,

Infrared
Holy crap! never thought about this one! Now I have to ride the crap out of the bike and wear out the tires if the responses favor this as a viable lowering technique!

Well, I DID do that, since it was easy and FREE! but didn't get me quite where I wanted to be. If I may ask, why did you go back to the stock seat and remove the Corbin? Was the Corbin seat modified (lower and nose job)?
It was a standard Corbin that came on the bike. The old owner, Steel from here, traded it in with the Corbin on it. He hit me up when he found I had his old bike as he remembered the stock seats were in his attic and offered them to me. My butt has never been, and never will, be a Corbin butt. For me I can go much longer on the stock seat than the Corbin. Also, the Corbin doesn't offer the two ride height positions as you remove the black piece to install it. I tested and it seemed closer to the high position when it's in. So in the end, it was too tall and too darn hard for my butt and legs. Plus, I was able to sell it and use the money toward the much more necessary top box.
biggrin.png

rolleyes.gif
Great! I hope I didn't just waste $200 on that seat! I didn't realize it sat so high. Well, I guess it will be an expensive lesson learned if it doesn't help!

How did you short folks (like me) NOT put the seat in the low position? That was the first thing I did, once I got the stock seats from Steel and removed my Corbin.
I put the seat in the low position as described in the owner manual. However, what I didn't know, is the frame thing could be removed for an even lower position.

If the seat's just too high, just buy the Harley you've always wanted and be done with it.
I've never been able to flat foot a bike, nor ever felt the need to. I've dropped the FJR a couple times, but after I get over the embarrassment, I just ride the heck out of it to let it know who's boss.
I already have two Harleys.
innocent.gif

A fella has to have a bit of diversity, eh?

bike.gif

TXFJR- did you slide the forks up some to account to the lowering out back? In addition to balancing out the geometry a bit it will effectively lower the seat height a little as well. You can loosen the triple tree bolts and slide the forks up 1/2 inch. This is what's generally done by those that have put on the lowering links.

I did, and due to the fact I don't ride 2-up, and have not gotten THAT fat (yet), I have not noticed any bottoming out or other issues, other than a tad slower steering response

I put the seat in the low position as described in the owner manual. However, what I didn't know, is the frame thing could be removed for an even lower position.
I had to read this three times to figure out what you are doing. Gotcha now!
biggrin.png

rolleyes.gif
Great! I hope I didn't just waste $200 on that seat! I didn't realize it sat so high. Well, I guess it will be an expensive lesson learned if it doesn't help!
The Corbin with nose job didn't solve the seat height issues for me. However I like the seat as it looks good and a firm seat works for me. I've enjoyed your posts. I have the same MC bars as you and while not pretty, very functional.

Bill

There must be a bunch of short ba$tard$ riding FJR's.

lol.gif

One good thing - the footpeg placement doesn't put our knees into our chests.

grin.gif