Short inseam concerns

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds typical. Friend ordered one for his sm610. Didn't fit right and he contacted them. They told him he had to modify the seat by grinding the bumpers down to make it work. No offer to fix it or help other than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I already paid for it, so I guess I will hope for the best. Maybe it's like the guy that does my tile, AWESOME craftsmanship....HORRIBLE business sense!

Well, I already paid for it, so I guess I will hope for the best. Maybe it's like the guy that does my tile, AWESOME craftsmanship....HORRIBLE business sense!
Cancel the credit card charge if you want. Ten or fifteen years ago Corbin had a very good reputation but the last few years it's been just awful, for reasons just like this. I wonder how they are even still in business.

I love it when someone says, "I've been doing this for 20 years." Who gives a crap. I have personally witnessed the counter, "Just because that's the way you've always done it doesn't mean you've been doing it right."

I'm with you. I want confirmation that someone has heard what I said. I'd email him back, tell him to take that bullshit attitude and stick it up his rear. I'd make sure to tell them I'll be spending my money somewhere else and cite their numerous customer service complaints. Unless they know we, as the buyers, are sick of their attitude and won't support them, their service will not improve.

However, it's your money. Do what makes you happy. Haha...

I love it when someone says, "I've been doing this for 20 years." Who gives a crap. I have personally witnessed the counter, "Just because that's the way you've always done it doesn't mean you've been doing it right."
I'm with you. I want confirmation that someone has heard what I said. I'd email him back, tell him to take that bullshit attitude and stick it up his rear. I'd make sure to tell them I'll be spending my money somewhere else and cite their numerous customer service complaints. Unless they know we, as the buyers, are sick of their attitude and won't support them, their service will not improve.

However, it's your money. Do what makes you happy. Haha...
If a follow up letter was written, I would complement them on their highly experienced technician/production people. However, I would point out that the rude tone of the letter indicated an inexperienced customer service department, lacking the care expected in dealing with a paying customer giving them business...and that was the specific reason for the follow up letter...to make sure some douchebag in customer service didn't fuck up the message before it got to the obviously highly trained and experienced installer. Thanks for confirming the need for my original letter. I expect full satisfaction per the previous letter and a written apology for your douchebag behavior...before this order is considered completed.

I think what bothered me the most is that he made reference about me sending the email again...but never makes reference to the fact he couldn't give the courtesy to respond to my FIRST email!
I'm not making excuses for they guy at Corbin(Jared), I have dealt with him many times over the years while at various shops and for personal business. For the most part he is a good guy to deal with. It is around the holidays and people do take vacation time from work for various reasons. There may be a reason your not privy to on why he didn't reply to the first one.

I my self don't get back to work until the 6th, will have been off for 3 weeks and I know I will have a bunch of emails piled up to respond to and I know I forget to respond to one every now and than even though I have followed up on its details. I am also sure they are getting small rush from being around Christmas. Just saying.

I do agree though, Corbin isn't always the easiest company to deal with and that the courtesy of the customer service isn't what it used to be.

Cancel the credit card charge if you want. Ten or fifteen years ago Corbin had a very good reputation but the last few years it's been just awful, for reasons just like this. I wonder how they are even still in business.
10 or 15 years ago (and more) I was already hearing stories just like this about Corbin. Back then they were already saying, "10 or 15 years ago...".

I'm not making excuses for they guy at Corbin(Jared), I have dealt with him many times over the years while at various shops and for personal business. For the most part he is a good guy to deal with. It is around the holidays and people do take vacation time from work for various reasons. There may be a reason your not privy to on why he didn't reply to the first one.
Still, he should have realized he didn't reply to the first one and NOT sent a snotty response to the second one. In fact, I can't see a reason at all that they should have sent ANY snotty response.

I think what bothered me the most is that he made reference about me sending the email again...but never makes reference to the fact he couldn't give the courtesy to respond to my FIRST email!
I my self don't get back to work until the 6th, will have been off for 3 weeks and I know I will have a bunch of emails piled up to respond to and I know I forget to respond to one every now and than even though I have followed up on its details. I am also sure they are getting small rush from being around Christmas. Just saying.

I do agree though, Corbin isn't always the easiest company to deal with and that the courtesy of the customer service isn't what it used to be.
I don't have as much of a problem with him not responding. I realize I am not the only customer, and that with the holidays things will get slowed down. My issue is the fact that he seems pissy with me because I sent another email BECAUSE he failed to respond. The way I THINK he should have responded would be along the lines of: "I am sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, we have been super busy HOWEVER, I already sent your email to the production folks, BUT I will make sure they received it and will give an update on your order"

Although I am not in the "customer service" industry (per se), I do know that HOW you respond to a customer's concerns can make a WORLD of difference between a customer that is happy, or one that will curse your name forever!

I don't have as much of a problem with him not responding. I realize I am not the only customer, and that with the holidays things will get slowed down. My issue is the fact that he seems pissy with me because I sent another email BECAUSE he failed to respond. The way I THINK he should have responded would be along the lines of: "I am sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, we have been super busy HOWEVER, I already sent your email to the production folks, BUT I will make sure they received it and will give an update on your order"
I fully understand, and your response is the type of response you would get from me. Even if I thought you were a butt head and PITA to deal with, via email it's easy to cover your true feelings, you can't hear vocal tone or read body language. I won't make a excuse for them, might offer a plausible reason...

I do agree their customer service needs work, it has needed it for many years. Now I am not saying what they do is wrong, but I will say the way they deliver on it, how it is communicated comes off as abrasive. I will say I have only had two quality issues with them out of all my dealings and they have been taken care of despite the perceived tone of the conversation.

I do like the Corbin on my FJR. Fit is snug and I feel it blends with the bike well. I am a short guy 29" inseam, so I did get the "nose job" and a little extra shaved off the foam in the seating area(maybe a 1/4"). There really isn't a whole lot to "remove" on their seat to get it any lower to gain more contact patch with the ground. The seat honestly sits you into the bike, you feel more like you are a part of it VS on top of it. If you are trying to gain ground contact, don't expect much. Though you sit lower on the bike your legs are splayed more to get around the frame/seat so you don't necessarily gain a larger contact patch with your feet, but they are farther apart. Being that they are splayed more the base of your triangle(your feet to seat), being farther apart, I would say it makes you feel more stable.

I am almost "there" as far as flat-footing it. Matter of fact, with my extra tall sole boots (the ones I had a link to in earlier post) I'm very confident as far as seat height goes. If the Corbin seat reduces it even a fraction of an inch, I will consider it worth it. I just wanted to share my "shaky" CS experience with others.

Only since I got my FJR have I ever heard of people try to flat foot a motorcycle. Glad I didn't know that was a requirement when I got my first CB550F in 1977.

At 6+ decades I’ve dealt with a lot of companies. And Corbin is absolutely, positively the vilest, most despicable organization I’ve ever purchased from. I put their seats on a 600 Kawasaki and my Gen I Feejer. In both cases, the seats were quite good but each took about two hours of bending, shoving, fabricating, and cursing to get them to fit. Phone calls to Corbin yielded responses that could be summarized as “Tough shit. We got your money.”

The last straw was a few years back when the GF had a Ninja 650 as her first bike. Having spent much of her life in the horse saddlery business, she knew exactly what she wanted and took care to order accordingly. When the Corbin arrived, it was definitely not what she ordered. She of course got on the horn to Corbin and explained the discrepancies. The “customer service” girl on the other end was adamant that the saddle was to order. The GF, copy of the order in hand, had the Corbinchick pull their copy of the order and read it back. The orders were identical and definitely not what the GF received. The GF told the Corbinchick to sit tight, took a picture of the saddle and emailed it to her. To which the Corbinchick’s response was (I’m NOT making this up) “That’s not the saddle we sent you. That’s a fake picture.” The GF was able to get the credit card charge stopped and sent the saddle back, along with a note to please put the saddle back into inventory up their collective asses.

When I got my Gen III I didn’t even consider Corbin. Went straight to Sargent. It’ll be a cold day in Phoenix before I ever do business with those low life, scum sucking, ratbastard, commie shitbags again. And I very much hope that nobody else does either.

Eh, I dunno.

Lately, I've run into some of the same stellar customer service from other compaines.

Ordered a set of lowering links and the holes were too small. Sent an email and got a snotty "Well, I guess that you'll just have to drill them out, now won't you".

Purchased an Ultimate seat for another bike. Had a problem with it, and they refused to address it. Ended up sending it off to a place in North Carolina. They confirmed the problem and fixed it. Another $100 out of my pocket.

Customer service isn't what it used to be.

uhuh.gif

However, there are (also) those customers that will never be happy with anything. I personally know a couple of them.

At 6+ decades I’ve dealt with a lot of companies. And Corbin is absolutely, positively the vilest, most despicable organization I’ve ever purchased from. I put their seats on a 600 Kawasaki and my Gen I Feejer. In both cases, the seats were quite good but each took about two hours of bending, shoving, fabricating, and cursing to get them to fit. Phone calls to Corbin yielded responses that could be summarized as “Tough shit. We got your money.”
The last straw was a few years back when the GF had a Ninja 650 as her first bike. Having spent much of her life in the horse saddlery business, she knew exactly what she wanted and took care to order accordingly. When the Corbin arrived, it was definitely not what she ordered. She of course got on the horn to Corbin and explained the discrepancies. The “customer service” girl on the other end was adamant that the saddle was to order. The GF, copy of the order in hand, had the Corbinchick pull their copy of the order and read it back. The orders were identical and definitely not what the GF received. The GF told the Corbinchick to sit tight, took a picture of the saddle and emailed it to her. To which the Corbinchick’s response was (I’m NOT making this up) “That’s not the saddle we sent you. That’s a fake picture.” The GF was able to get the credit card charge stopped and sent the saddle back, along with a note to please put the saddle back into inventory up their collective asses.

When I got my Gen III I didn’t even consider Corbin. Went straight to Sargent. It’ll be a cold day in Phoenix before I ever do business with those low life, scum sucking, ratbastard, commie shitbags again. And I very much hope that nobody else does either.
AK, really don't hold back, how do you REALLY feel? LOL!

Only since I got my FJR have I ever heard of people try to flat foot a motorcycle. Glad I didn't know that was a requirement when I got my first CB550F in 1977.
I don't see it so much as a "requirement", but rather something that helps ME enjoy my motorcycle. If we really examine this, do we REALLY "need" ANY of the stuff we hang on these bikes? It could be argued that we don't need GPS, taller shields, lights, blue tooth, etc etc. However, I think we can all agree they enhance our riding experience...otherwise, why get them?

5'8" here.

I'm a first time FJR owner as of a couple of weeks ago.

I wanted to both (effectively) lower and soften the seat, so I decided to drill some holes in the foam.

I'm not claiming this idea as my own, I suspect others have done the same before.

I made up a tool which is basically a sharpened piece of stainless tube that fits in my cordless drill chuck.

I then worked out where my backside was situated on the seat when both riding and at a standstill.

I marked out a series of hole centres and drilled them out.

I saved the little "cores" in case it turned out too soft (which it hasn't) and I needed to fill some of the holes back in.

Result: It's effectively lowered the seat height a bit for me, but retained the original look. It doesn't look low, like a shaved seat.

It's definitely softer too!

I'm actually considering drilling even more holes now.

lower_softer_seat_on_FJR1300.jpg

Latest posts