Some Gen 3 questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queensland Ken

Reaction score
Hi,

Didn't know where to place this post, but I suppose it's Technical ?

As I'm soon to be a Gen 3 owner, I'm wondering what Yamaha did anything different to the spider neutral connectors.

In other words, should I remove Brodie's harness from my Gen 2 before I sell it on, just in case.

If Yamaha have used their original fix on the Gen 3, the bridging wire on the S4, I suppose I had better remove Brodie's harness as a backup ?

Also, I noticed that there is a Yamaha OBD connector socket.

I haven't seen any posts re: anyone needing a Yamaha mechanic to use the Yamaha diagnostic tool.

Cheers

According to ScooterG, Yammie fixed the problem during the 2010 model year.

I am taking it with a grain of salt it was fixed in 2010..... I haven't seen any details of wire upgauges, improved plating, or evidence that they shifted ground loads elsewhere......... all we know is they didn't recall 2010's and later..... however, I would inspect, clean and lubricate as necessary any ground spider 2010 and later if it was my bike, even if it was 'fixed'. Just me being anal, back to your regular programming.........

Don't think it's being anal, just cautious.

I'll keep the 07 until after the 1st service is performed on the Gen 3, have a good look around under the tank & plastics when I do the TBS.

If the wiring looks similar, swap out Bordie's harness.

Spiders were definitely changed from the earlier GenIIs to the later GenIIs.

Not saying there's no problem with the '10s and later, but there is at least one difference in the loom.

This is the most-feared connector on the Gen II, front left of the under-tank area.
(Click on image for larger view)

I've no picture of the wires in that on my '06, but as far as I remember all six positions were used, and all the same gauge wire (but I could be wrong on the gauge).

On my '10, that same connector:

You can see that only four of the six possible positions are used, and one of them is a significantly larger gauge than the others, definitely different from the '06. I don't know about the other positions.

So I believe they did make at least some improvement.

This was talked about in this thread, but it would take you hours to pick out the bit amongst its 1387 entries (starts at post 754)

Thanks mcatrophy,

The wires are a larger gauge.

I'll just wait until I do the first TBS and have a good look around.

It looks promising that they did address the issue properly.

Could be awhile waiting for the new bike to show.

Cheers

...Didn't know where to place this post, but I suppose it's Technical ?...Also, I noticed that there is a Yamaha OBD connector socket.I haven't seen any posts re: anyone needing a Yamaha mechanic to use the Yamaha diagnostic tool.
That is really significant. If the Gen III is even partly OBD II compliant it opens the door for significant diagnostic capability (and shhh, the ability to really tune the engine correctly and flash the chip). If the Gen III is really OBD then it will allow any Mitsubishi capable OBD software like EcuFlash with Openport drivers for Windoze machines or EASY Reprogramming Products. It isn't inexpensive to get into but once someone has the power supplies, cables and software they can begin to generate ECU recipes. This isn't in the skill set that most people have but it isn't rocket science either, there are lots of Forums to give guidance in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news, mcatrophy. Thanks! I'd still lube them though as a precaution against corrosion. Conductive grease would be the better thing to do.