• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Speedo Healer or Something Similar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of appearing curmudgeonly, what is the point?
Why does one need to know their exact speed within 1% accuracy? :unsure:
No one does. But I sure as heck NEED to know it with better than 7 or 8 % accuracy!!!!
But, but, but... Why?

Why is 1% inaccurate any better to you than 8% inaccurate? :unsure: They are both wrong, just to differing degrees.

So, as long as the inaccuracies are completely repeatable, isn't the inaccuracy somewhat innocuous?

Besides, you type "A" guys have all the fun... B)

I'd rather it be accurate so when I'm cruising along, minding my own business (at a fun pace) and I notice a LEO, I'd like to be know what my speed is and adjust accordingly without having to do any calculations.

I have installed the SpeedoDRD and the speedo reads correct, but the miles on the GPS is not the same as my trip odo it's off by -5%

GPS=100mi / bike odo=95mi have anyone else noticed this also?

Every street bike I have ever owned has been 5%-10% high on speed readings.

The only bike's I have ever heard of where this isn't the case are BMW's.

I have installed the SpeedoDRD and the speedo reads correct, but the miles on the GPS is not the same as my trip odo it's off by -5% GPS=100mi / bike odo=95mi have anyone else noticed this also?

So, originally the odometer was correct (or close) and the speedo was running high (by ~ 5%?). After installintg the "fix" the speedo now reads right but the odo now reads the correction factor low. This makes sense since the speedo healer filters the speed pulses that go to the instruments.

This also means that anyone that has used one of these things no longer has a legitimate / legal odometer reading when they sell their bike.

I have installed the SpeedoDRD and the speedo reads correct, but the miles on the GPS is not the same as my trip odo it's off by -5% GPS=100mi / bike odo=95mi have anyone else noticed this also?

So, originally the odometer was correct (or close) and the speedo was running high (by ~ 5%?). After installintg the "fix" the speedo now reads right but the odo now reads the correction factor low. This makes sense since the speedo healer filters the speed pulses that go to the instruments.

This also means that anyone that has used one of these things no longer has a legitimate / legal odometer reading when they sell their bike.
The odo was a little off before the SpeedoDRD was installed but did not pay attention to how much it was off, I thought it would be closer after the SpeedoDRD install

the least expensive solution is to use your bike's clock/your watch/your smart phone and the mile markers on the highway. use the two and do the math in your head for a 5 or 10 mile section and you have your speed compared to your speedo and can then mentally adjust indicated for actual.

instead of modding the bike, get a GPS one of the least expensive ones will display speed and location.

FYI: ALL speedometers in the US are wrong. the manufacturer usually errs on the cautious side (showing faster than you really are going) to avoid class action lawsuits. Change tires on any vehicle (and/or rims on the 4 wheelers) and that changes everything again. It's a never-ending battle. if you're seeking really accurate readings, then you have to re-adjust your speedo as the tread wears down on a new set of tires. IMO It's easiest to either use a GPS or do like we used to pre-GPS days... get a ball park and work with it. For Honda's it tends to read 10% low (the faster you go the more actual MPH it's off).
I installed a corrector on my 2017. it was off by about 9% and it was just not safe constantly having to look at the GPS for something as simple as your speed. I am now within 1 to 2 kms per hour of the GPS, and that is close enough for me. Cost around $100 when I installed it. One of the best farkles I have done.

Most mfgrs set their speedo to read high to avoid class actions. Once I understood the amount (sometimes X mph and sometimes a % where the delta increased directly with speed), it seemed easy to just do it in my head. Sure quicker and cheaper to install across multiple bike. ;)

But we all do what works for us.

Most mfgrs set their speedo to read high to avoid class actions. Once I understood the amount (sometimes X mph and sometimes a % where the delta increased directly with speed), it seemed easy to just do it in my head. Sure quicker and cheaper to install across multiple bike. ;)

But was all do what works for us.
Seems that the speedo error on US FJR motorcycles is less than in Canada and other parts of the world. I am pretty much used to it and mentally correct. I also use the GPS speed if I am especially concerned about performance awards.

You may be interested in my latest post here -> https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/us-ecu-in-a-rest-of-the-world-2009.181373/post-1465432

Looks like replacing the backplate of the speedo is the 'official' way to do it, according to the UK constabulary. I'd be happy to provide a high-res photo of my backplate for printing. Though actually getting it printed may be tricky, especially if you still want the transparency for the four warning lights.

Easy fix is just replace rear tire with a 190/55-17 and your speedo will be accurate.
Works reasonably for US bikes.
Not so much for most of the rest of the world - for some reason, metric speedometers seem to be off by a higher percentage. Perhaps something to do with requirements for the European markets?
( I have owned both a US 2007 and a Canadian 2011 Gen II FJR.)

Point not covered yet. Gps works by by doing the math from points A to B. Excepting signal lag this is extremely accurate for a straight run. For corners the gps reading is likely low since the distance by road is longer than the straight line distance from reading A to B. This error will vary depending on the frequency of position updates and the accuracy of the gps.

Point not covered yet. Gps works by by doing the math from points A to B. Excepting signal lag this is extremely accurate for a straight run. For corners the gps reading is likely low since the distance by road is longer than the straight line distance from reading A to B. This error will vary depending on the frequency of position updates and the accuracy of the gps.
True, and the same with going uphill or down. With respect to turns, automotive GPS update frequency is on the order of 1 Hz or faster. I don't think the error is especially important. Going up a hill, your odometer will record a longer distance traveled than the GPS. If, for instance, you had a hill with a 20% slope so 1000 meter base and 200 meter height making two sides of a right triangle. Hypotenuse (distance traveled) is around 1020 meters although GPS would record 1000.