SPOT - Emergency situations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Being a member of an online motobike community or two, I have come to understand the serenity of peace of mind while engaging in a higher-than-average-risk activity. We propel ourselves (hopefully ATGATT'ed) down ribbons of asphalt cut through some of the wildest country on this planet that paving crews can conquer. If anything goes wrong, we can easily be tossed into a place where those who also travel the roads can be oblivious to our location.

Look at Old Michael's crash, others since, and now a rider has gone missing. In OM's case, his highly-contrasting helmet color was the only visual clue that he might be around. He could have easily been dropped by the group, and not found until it was too late. Just because you don't usually ride solo doesn't mean you will never ride alone. I usually ride solo, believing it to be safer than in a group situation. I've never been anywhere near in as many scarey situations as when riding in groups. YMMV

So, in honor of all those who could have benefited from a SPOT, I've mounted mine in a very conspicuous location. Anybody who asks about it will get the SPOT sermon and a recommendation why they should seriously consider adding one to their bike.

I put a small hole in my tankbag with a hot paper clip and sandwiched the material between the clip and the body of the unit. Way easy, and my tank bag is always on when I ride. The SPOT locator, in my experience, needs to have a clear view of the satellites overhead, and they're rarely directly overhead.

Be it hereby resolved, SPOT will now become a part of my ATGATT arsenal....

IMG_1090.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I added one also. Ram makes a mount for it, but I chose to mount it with a lanyard to the side pocket of my Cortech tail bag. One of the oddities I noted with the tracking function is it will often have you appear far off the road. However if you take the actual GPS coordinates and put them into Google Earth it is right on. I sent a note to SPOT suggesting when you double click the 10 minute icon it passes the data to Google Earth and gives you the true visual location also.

This something I am going to add to the arsenal. If anybody has a link to the latest greatest sale post it up.

I like the trip tracking you can do. My wife doesn't worry about me nearly as much. I got the mount for it and it is very sturdy, though plastic. I can also just grab it and put it in my pocket if I park the bike -- easy on/off.

Recently I decided to get the handlebar mount ASAP for my KLR, and I'll be able to shift it from bike to bike easily. REALLY feel safer on trails if I go down and need help.

Sometimes I wonder if I should put it on my person in case I can't get to the bike, but it does need a good view of the sky, and would hurt if I fell on it. I realized also the last SPOT GPS point will be close to me as I leave it in "automatic" mode, which does not shut down until the unit doesn't move for 10 minutes. Not perfect, but people could find me at least.

If only they came in some designer colors. You know. Like a pleasing ..........yellow.
I now have my 3 season (summer is too hot for the yellow jacket) riding jacket in yellow due to OM's little off road excursion. A spot would also be a good idea.
BTW - OM, shouldn't your avatar read FUG? Just sayin'...... :rofl:

Toe - Nice tank purse, even matches the color of the bike. Accessorizing is always good. :D

Amen Brother Toe.

I now run a SPOT *every* ride. So often I just 'go' and end up 'out there'. Dirt, street, weird areas all the time.

Now then, let's take this one step further. I propose (perhaps this should be a new thread).. uhh never mind for now.

Oh, just one thing.. I don't leave my SPOT unit unattended. If someone other than me mashes the 911 button, guess who is liable for the response? I'm guessing it would be me. I simply put my SPOT in the tank bag, out of sight, out of mind.

Ray - The new units are pretty cool. They have better 'buttons', meaning it's much harder to accidentally hit the 911 button.

Oh, like a cell phone, the SPOT should be with the body. Bikers generally got tossed from the skoot. If injured, I might be able to make a call or press SPOT 911, but not crawl back up the mountainside to the bike.

SPOT has become a vital part of my riding equipment as well. My wife used to worry ALOT about my motorcycling. Almost 100% of my riding is done alone and much of it is done at night. While much of my time is on the interstates, the 24 hour rallies I ride have me on any type of road. With SPOT, anytime day or night, she can log on and see where I am and that I'm still moving. I can't begin to describe the piece of mind it gives her. I highly recommend SPOT to anyone who rides. And don't think you have to ride alone for it to be of benefit. The 911 button doesn't require a cell signal to work which means help is always within reach.

As dcarver mentioned, there's a new upgraded unit coming out in a few weeks. The upgrades are significant enough to justify waiting. Just do it. https://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=113

I picked up a SPOT prior to running the 3 Flags this year. It made it easier for family/friends to figure out where I was enroute, but the main reason was for safety. Interesting, one fella on a Harley put his bike over the edge on Hwy 12 in Utah... anyone who has ridden that stretch of road knows what I'm talking about. He was lucky - bike got hung up in brush 10 feet over the edge of a 250+ foot drop. he was riding alone, and if he'd gone all the way over they might still be looking for him. As it was, he had the bike winched out and finished the rally - but the incident really made me appreciate the value of the SPOT tracker.

Mine is mounted on the left handlebar, using the recommended mount. I might relocate it, but it does generate conversations when folks see it, and I give them the speech when asked about it (probably similar to Toe's speech).

For the peace of mind it gives me and my family, it is dirt cheap - when I bought mine you got the unit for free if you took a 2-yr service package.

Griff

I added one back in February and have not taken it off the bike since. It's good peace of mind for me but even more so for my wife. A great investment!!!

So how much does this unit cost and how much per month for service?
GP
You pay by the year and cost depends on the bells and whistles you want. Last I checked it was $99 for basic service for a year. I added tracking ability and life flight insurance (REALLY cheap at $7.95). Here is a copy of my receipt this past July and a link to the site:

"For customer service,please contact [email protected] or 1(866)651-7768

This memo can be used as proof of registration.

Detail receipt will be shown in your user account within 30 days.

Basic 99.99

Tracking 49.99

Search 7.95

Product Replacement 17.99

Total Taxes 0.00

Grand Total 175.92

Amount Charged 175.92 "

https://www.findmespot.com/

GP
You pay by the year and cost depends on the bells and whistles you want. Last I checked it was $99 for basic service for a year. I added tracking ability and life flight insurance (REALLY cheap at $7.95). Here is a copy of my receipt this past July and a link to the site:

Basic 99.99

Tracking 49.99

Search 7.95

Total Taxes 0.00

Grand Total 175.92

Amount Charged 175.92 "

I 'm going to get on with all the mishaps this past year, I have a question, I was going to get Life Flight insurance seperate, will the $7.95 search cover the cost of an airlift to the hospital.

Thanks

Our SPOT tracker was bought for off-roading, when either one of us may have a 911 need when out of cell phone range and unable to describe an exact location.

Having read the above posts, I can see that it will do double duty, when we travel on the highway too.

GP

Basic 99.99

Tracking 49.99

Search 7.95

Total Taxes 0.00

Grand Total 175.92

Amount Charged 175.92 "

I 'm going to get on with all the mishaps this past year, I have a question, I was going to get Life Flight insurance seperate, will the $7.95 search cover the cost of an airlift to the hospital.

Thanks
The link above explains all options, so double check. But my clear memory is that it does cover flight extractions to trauma centers, and worth the outlay of cash, IMHO.

If you want a SPOT, nows the time. Cabela's has a rebate coupon; buy the SPOT, sign up for two years, get the purchase price refunded. Not a bad deal.

Heres a link to the promotion.

The 2 year basic service is nearly $200 and the tracking is $50 per year, so its still kinda spendy. Then again, how can you put a price on the safety and security of you or a loved one.

If you want a SPOT, now's the time. Cabela's has a rebate coupon; buy the SPOT, sign up for two years, get the purchase price refunded. Not a bad deal.
Heres a link. to the promotion.

The 2 year basic service is nearly $200 and the tracking is $50 per year, so its still kinda spendy. Then again, how can you put a price on the safety and security of you or a loved one.
24 months Unlimited SPOT Basic & Tracking Service is 299.96. Seems pricey, but the first time I really needed to use it would probably change my opinion real fast.

I was considering that offer. Not a bad deal for a Spot, but I'm waiting for the Spot II. So far I haven't seen any similar deals for the Spot II.