SS1000 or BB1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster31

Reaction score
I am going to complete either one of these rides this fall. I would like to complete the ride with a buddy of mine, and a few other folks I have spoken too have expressed interest. Would it be better to keep the group small? say.....no more than 3. I am concerned that if the group is to big, we may end up doing something stupid. Any advice???

Matt

IMO, The more in the ride equals more reasons for fuel stops to take longer. More chances that one rider will decide he can't finish..........

I prefer to go solo and wouldn't do it with more than 3-4 max.

Small group (3-4) might work if you know their riding styles. Plan B must be in place before you leave ie. if someone can't or does not want to continue do you leave them on their own or is the ride over?

I rode my SS 1000 with a close friend by the end of the day I was planning how and when to do BBG 1500 :D and he was wondering if the feeling would ever return to his arse :blink:

Plan ahead, be careful, have fun it will work if you want it to, just be aware it can be addictive!

The smaller the better, especially if you all plan on riding together. If you are all riding an identical route, but at different paces, then it won't be so bad.

I would say 2 or 3 max. Things will get convoluted with gas stops, food stops, rest stops. That will eat up a lot of time and make the ride much more difficult. And it would not be good for my psyche to sitting around getting pissed off waiting for some other idiot to do whatever.............

And there is no BB1000 IBA ride. Did you mean a BB1500?

Concur with what's been said so far... More folks = more reasons to not complete the ride. Although, like Skooter said, if you're simply riding the same route but at individual paces, it wouldn't be so bad. Just make sure you have a plan for those who can't go on. Remember, it's supposed to be FUN!

My first attempt was with a friend. We did all the wrong things. Screwing around at gas stops. "Quick" stops for pictures (those 5-10 minute stops add up fast.) Total lack of preparation for the weather (cold). Didn't help that we were both on sport bikes. We wound up stopping for the night. Was still a great adventure but not a successful SS1K.

Don't forget to check out the Iron Butt forum. There are lots of stories of people doing group rides there.

Have a great ride!

And there is no BB1000 IBA ride. Did you mean a BB1500?
Yes......I meant to say BB1500

I have been spending a fair bit of time on the IBA website, which has really helped. From what everyone here has posted, my thoughts about keeping it small where correct. I will just do the ride with one other buddy who has a BMW 1200. The other buddy who wants to run it is on a Honda sportbike and has never gone more than 400K in one day, so I think he may opt out anyways. Heck, I shouldn't talk.............the most I have done was 5 days in a row from L.A. to Ontario on my FZR1000 about 13 yrs ago. That was HELL!!!! I only rode during day and had to wear my rainsuit the whole way because it was so cold. I followed the old Rt. 66 on the interstate in April, and I remember passing through Albuquerque with 6' snowbanks on the sides of the highway!!! That being said..........the FJR is a whole other bike if I compare comfort level, so I don't think it will be too bad. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Matt

Do the ss1000 and the bb1500 at the same time. I would recommend doing the ride by yourself or with one other rider that you are sure will keep the same or very similar pace as you. Time is a crunch as eeksnake said so keep the stops quick. I did the ride with my SO and she takes longer on stops than I do so that was one of the challenges for us. You may experience the same with another rider. I would have made much better time without my SO on the ride but it was a wonderful adventure that we both can talk about together. And she knows what it was like to ride 1500 in under 36.

It trully is addicting, I am trying to plan a BBgold with a buddy and then we want to do the 50cc, Jacksonville to San Diego.

I have done SS1000s both ways, alone and in a group. The group ride was only four people. The differences in gas tank size, need for rest, etc. can be a little frustrating if you don't plan for it. My solo rides have never taken anything close to 24 hours - usually 18 hours or less. The group ride took 23.5 hours.

I would only to a group BB1500 with very experienced LD riders. There just isn't nearly as much leeway in the time.

OK......so I am looking at running my first SS1000 event in Sept with one other person. Has anyone used Microsoft Streets & Trips for planning? I really need to know if the distances indicated are accurate for documentation purposes?

I would say that it'll be more accurate than your odometer. If I remember right, the IBA states they use programs such as Streets and Trips, DeLomore, and another to verify routes, so I would feel confident using S&T for your routing.

I would suggest giving yourself a little breathing room on mileage though. Say, plan a route that is at least 1050 miles. Also, do not go off of the odo on the bike to tell you when you've completed your 1000 miles. If you do, you'll be sorely dissapointed when you learn that you didn't cover enough miles.

The more I plan this ride the more I think I should just do the SS1000 and BB1500 in two days as it has been suggested. I have a route planned from my house down through WV and back up through a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway (about 180 miles) I would really like to ride some of it but, since I haven't seen it, I'm wondering if it's a good idea. Obviously it will be slower than the interstate, but how much slower is the question. Can anyone lend me some input about the BRP??

Here is a suggestion....

The MTF did a SS1600 a few years back. A SS1600 is a metric ride that equals 1000 miles. It started in London then the route took you to Toronto, North Bay to almost Vankleek Hill down to the 401 and back to London

Section of Hwy 11 is 2 lane ,a section of Hwy17 and the county road from Vankleek Hill truck stop down to the 401.

Blue Ridge Parkway is a beautiful ride but not the place to be if making time is important. We rode from Fancy Gap, Va to Linville Falls, NC in 2006 as I remember the posted speed limit is 35 mph. We rode at 45 to 55 never had a problem but I,ve always ment to thank the Z0-6 piliot and the girl in the RX-7 for keeping the rangers busy that morning. From what i have read a citation on the BRP goes to Federal court and can be a major ha$$el.

If its the upper part north of Fancy Gap your considering friends who have ridden it tell me it can become very congested and not someplace to be if you have any other goal than sightseeing.

the larger the group the larger it takes to gas up, the more everyone's rythms and riding styles differ, and the longer it takes to do anything.

riding in a group of 2 is harder than doing it solo.

it's a SS1000 or a BB1500 (or a BBG1500 but you're not interested in a BBG if you're asking these basic questions).

Last edited by a moderator:
riding in a group of 2 is harder than doing it solo.it's a SS1000 or a BB1500 (or a BBG1500 but you're not interested in a BBG if you're asking these basic questions).
I want to do it (the SS1000) with another rider, simply because I think it would be more fun. I understand what your'e saying with regards to gasing up and such. So we will stick to the interstates in the U.S. because most of the roads in northern Ontario are two lanes and traffic would be a major factor. Besides, I think the interstates in western NY state and PA would give us a good balance of scenery and expedience. I will save the BRP for a time when I can enjoy it.

and no........definitley not considering a BBG1500......yet. Baby steps first......

I can't believe Warchild did seven (BBG) in a row.

Do the SS1000 first. If you're trying to get IBA certified I don't believe they will accept a BB1500 as your first certification ride. Check the IBA site to be sure. I did an SS1000 a couple of years ago with 3 other riders and would not do that again. Differences in riding styles after many hours on the road can really push the envelope of friendship. I would however ride with 1 other rider to a) keep you on track 2) safety in numbers and, 3) hopefully keep you from doing something stupid. Just be sure that other rider and you share riding styles and a desire to return home safely. Have fun.

I just did an SS1K solo and it was definitely easier riding and stopping on my own rhythm.

Of course, having finished it - it would have been fun to have shared the ride with a buddy.

You just have to know the riding style of anyone you bring along.

I would say definately do it in a smaller group, but I just did my first SS1000 on Saturday (7/19). We rode Chicago to Indy to Louisville to Nashville to Mt Vernon back to Chicago. If any Midwest guys want the route, I'd be happy to send it to you if you have a garmin.

We had 9 total guys the one with the least experience (2 year riding) also had the smallest gas tank and we had to stop every 140 miles, which made for a long day. He also was the guy that extended our gas stops later in the night. Overall trip took us around 20 hours for 1070 miles. Definately go by your GPS if you have one as my odometer was way off.

Another tip is pick your food stops wisely. Go to fast food joints, but eat healthy because we got delayed 45 mins for slow service at a sit down joint.

I do recommend having a couple of longer food stops to re-coop, but better to have more time to walk around and stretch than sit in a chair waiting on crummy food.

Submitting my paper work today so now starts the 6 week clock to get my certifcate.

I think the trip would have been perfect with like 6 experienced riders.