steering head sockets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$26 for that tool is in no way out of line. Most machine shops charge from $85-$110 an hour as a shop rate. Add in tooling and material costs, and your well past the $26 I'm sure. I'd buy one myself if I didn't already have one of the Bike Johny ones.

I really like the suggestion for dogpiling the tool that took the time and effort to write to complain that you are getting rich off this. What a tard!

I'll be looking forward to getting mine. Thanks again for doing this.

$26 for that tool is in no way out of line. Most machine shops charge from $85-$110 an hour as a shop rate. Add in tooling and material costs, and your well past the $26 I'm sure. I'd buy one myself if I didn't already have one of the Bike Johny ones.
Shoot, I'm buying one even though I already have the official Yamaha/KL tool. I like the pin socket idea far better than that damned retarded spanner hook design.

Received mine yesterday and used it to tighten my steering head bearing nut. All I can say is wow, it fit perfectly and was finished nicely.

Kudos to Roy for doing a great job on the tool and for helping a rider in need.

Thanks again Roy! :thumbsupsmileyanim: :clapping:

Received mine yesterday and used it to tighten my steering head bearing nut. All I can say is wow, it fit perfectly and was finished nicely.Thanks again Roy! :thumbsupsmileyanim: :clapping:
What size deep socket fits onto the tool to clear the steering stem?

Received mine yesterday and used it to tighten my steering head bearing nut. All I can say is wow, it fit perfectly and was finished nicely.Thanks again Roy! :thumbsupsmileyanim: :clapping:
What size deep socket fits onto the tool to clear the steering stem?
the same socket that takes off the nut on top of the upper tripple clamp. no need for a deep

Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot, I'm buying one even though I already have the official Yamaha/KL tool. I like the pin socket idea far better than that damned retarded spanner hook design.
same here. i used to be a machine tool operator and am surprised he's center boring bar stock instead of getting some kind of thick-walled tubing. once i saw it, it made sense, but that's a lot of work for $26.

OK after trying to keep this small and only posting in response to other post. i have decided to do this all the way. but after an E-Mail from a retard stating that i was offering fake generosity by offering half the money for a fund for Wayne and Annette because i was charging an absurd amount of money for a piece of metal i was making in my garage. instead of getting pissed off and packing up my marbles and going home i thought it would be better to just show a few pics of the process and let people decide if they want to order. also lets me show off a little and maybe other people can post their projects. pictures are always good anyway.
J R,

Well it looks like the "retard" has no clue what's is involved in machining these. There is quite a bit of work in those parts especially if your cranking handles. You are also giving a portion of the proceeds to help someone else. Why should they care if your making them in your garage? $26.00 for a custom tool doesn't sound bad to me and pretty cheap considering the work involved.

Good Luck,

Dave

That's a nicely made tool and a bargain at that price. Just out of curiosity has anyone done the math to determine the difference in torque applied by this tool versus the factory spanner, since the lever arm is reduced?

Becaue it is a cylindrical socket and attaches to the center point of the part being torqued, the reading your torque wrench is direct and correct. No need to calculate the torque value as you have to do when using a spanner.

One of the advantages! Plus, it won't slip off at the most inopportune time and screw up the finish on surrounding parts!!

Don