Survey: What's under your seat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have an Autocom under there along with a bunch of cables, GMRS radio, flat antenna.

Cables for the Zumo 590

Toolkit and extra tools

FuzeBlock.

The wired intercoms are falling out of fashion pretty fast, but I've left mine hooked up.

%24T2eC16hHJGwE9n)yVTfnBQf3+Z8DIQ~~60_35.JPG
Perfect example of why you need to check your equipment periodically. EXP 12 - 2014. Past the pull date!

For those carrying paperwork, carry only photocopies in a zip-loc. If someone stole your bike, you don't want them to have the originals. Here, LEO's accept photocopied documents, however, I keep an additional copy on an inside jacket pocket in case I get separated from the bike and need a VIN number or sumthin'.
Be careful here while they may generally "accept" photocopies, at least here in Oregon only commercial drivers may keep a photocopy otherwise you have to have the original registration. Will you get cited for it? Doubtful, but you never know since technically it's a violation. Washington, though, let's you keep it electronically.

As for the OP's original purpose of this thread;

Fuze block and spare fuses

Small LED flashlight

Air compressor and flat fix kit

Air pressure gauge

Factory tool kid plus metric allen keys

Zip ties

Several pairs of nitrile gloves

Anything more serious and I call AAA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note on this ... Some jurisdictions are now accepting photographs, on cellphones, of some documents. This applies mainly to insurance verification, as what they need are the details that can be checked, rather than a piece of paper. Do NOT hand your phone to a Police Officer who has stopped you. He has a pen, show him the relevant info and he/she can write it down.

I imagine this will become more widespread as states get their heads around the changing technology.

Be careful here while they may generally "accept" photocopies, at least here in Oregon only commercial drivers may keep a photocopy otherwise you have to have the original registration. Will you get cited for it? Doubtful, but you never know since technically it's a violation. Washington, though, let's you keep it electronically.

For those carrying paperwork, carry only photocopies in a zip-loc. If someone stole your bike, you don't want them to have the originals. Here, LEO's accept photocopied documents, however, I keep an additional copy on an inside jacket pocket in case I get separated from the bike and need a VIN number or sumthin'.
"Be careful here while they may generally "accept" photocopies, at least here in Oregon only commercial drivers may keep a photocopy otherwise you have to have the original registration. Will you get cited for it? Doubtful, but you never know since technically it's a violation. Washington, though, let's you keep it electronically."

As opposed to most of you, guys, one thing I never keep under the seat is the registration papers. I even do not keep them anywhere close to me while riding... Because we do not have to, we also do not need to have the driver's licence with us as long we have some kind of ID with picture with us. That's how it legally works in Estonia, cops can check everything about you and your bike over the internet. No threat of losing any papers on the way...

Otherwise my underseat is not much different than others: PCV, U-lock, work gloves, tire repair kit, original Yamaha toolkit, spare fuses.

Howie wins for taking ATGATT to a whole new level. HPPants wins the boyscout award for being most prepared. Amazon is already shipping stuff to me based on the responses I've gotten. Thanks for all the great ideas, especially from those that have learned from the school of hard knocks, which is where I usually get my lessons.

Owners handbook,

Rubber gloves,

Spare bulbs and fuses,

A length of wire,

Roll of insulating tape,

Yam tool kit,

Multi tool,

One spark plug,

The cover inserts for the panniers,

Slime compressor,

Bottle of slime,

Tyre repair string kit,

A couple of sharp cutting blades,

1 ratchet tie down strap

and one item that no-one else seems to carry, a set of motorcycle jump leads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only had my bike two weeks. Plan to keep all tools, tire repair kit and pump, jump cables etc etc in left hand saddlebag. Only thing under seat will be the Eastern Beaver fuse pane.

Stock tools, paperwork, a $20 bill, spare fuses including a master, tire repair stuff, bungee net, and spare givi key.

Givi has a few additional items based on whether it's daily commuting vs a trip etc.

Just a thought on compressor vs co2... I always carry a compressor and have used it many times but one fried itself in Fairbanks recently. Enough co2 carts to prevent bending the rim while riding carefully on to a functioning compressor is under consideration :)

Stock tools, paperwork, a $20 bill, spare fuses including a master, tire repair stuff, bungee net, and spare givi key.
Givi has a few additional items based on whether it's daily commuting vs a trip etc.

Just a thought on compressor vs co2... I always carry a compressor and have used it many times but one fried itself in Fairbanks recently. Enough co2 carts to prevent bending the rim while riding carefully on to a functioning compressor is under consideration
smile.png
I have a compressor that used to stay under the seat. I could hook it directly to the battery with clips. It made so much noise when it ran I was afraid it would self destruct someday.

I won a foot pump at a rally and it fits in the same space, appears to be much heavier duty, and I trust it more than the electric one.

I once aired up a tire on the side of the road with a bicycle type hand pump that used to come under the seat of old BMW's so I know it can be done.

Mini_Foot_Pump_zoom.jpg

I think the motorcycle jump leads are part of many of our air compressor kits.
Really? I've never seen a motorcycle air compressor kit with jump leads. And that fits under the seat? Do you have a link?
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427681945&sr=8-2&keywords=slime+air

That one fits in the pocket right behind the yamaha tool area. Snug, but fits. I took out the battery clips and added a powerlet to SAE adapter to ease my use if needed.

I think the motorcycle jump leads are part of many of our air compressor kits.
Really? I've never seen a motorcycle air compressor kit with jump leads. And that fits under the seat? Do you have a link?
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427681945&sr=8-2&keywords=slime+air

That one fits in the pocket right behind the yamaha tool area. Snug, but fits. I took out the battery clips and added a powerlet to SAE adapter to ease my use if needed.
https://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-repair/pumps-air-compressors/aerostich-mini-compressor.html

https://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-repair/pumps-air-compressors/aerostich-compact-tire-repair-kit-with-mini-compressor.html

My slime compressor came with 'jump leads.' They're still folded up with my compressor accessories under my seat, because I've always just used the Battery Tender powerlett plug to run the compressor. The pump, inside its included case, fits very well, along with a bunch of other stuff under my seat.

FWIW, I've come back to mine and found that some idiot had left the ignition on.
fool.gif

The battery was too dead to start the bike, but it bump started nicely.

I'm not saying you don't need the jumper cables, but if you don't have them, rolling it down a hill is sure worth a try.
smile.png