Survey: What's under your seat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have the booster cables as a carry over from underseat junk when I changed from a 650 Burgman executive scooter. Get a flat battery on that and you ain't going anywhere!

FWIW, I've come back to mine and found that some idiot had left the ignition on.
fool.gif

The battery was too dead to start the bike, but it bump started nicely.

I'm not saying you don't need the jumper cables, but if you don't have them, rolling it down a hill is sure worth a try.
smile.png
I hope you caught that idiot and gave him a good thrashing!

FWIW, I've come back to mine and found that some idiot had left the ignition on.
fool.gif

The battery was too dead to start the bike, but it bump started nicely.

I'm not saying you don't need the jumper cables, but if you don't have them, rolling it down a hill is sure worth a try.
smile.png
I hope you caught that idiot and gave him a good thrashing!
Indeed. I threw him under the bike a couple of months back and tore his knee up. He's still limping from that one.

Lots of good ideas. I need to get some tire repair stuff and a $20 bill under my seat!

Lots of good ideas. I need to get some tire repair stuff and a $20 bill under my seat!

Lots of good suggestions!

My list typically consists of:

'headlamp' style flashlight

OEM tool kit, except for the amusing pliers - replaced by a small vise-grips. Also I replaced the annoying plastic tool bag with a small canvas zipped bag.

about a foot of heavy duty duct tape wrapped around the screwdriver handle

Nitrile gloves packed in with the tool kit

Allen key set

zip ties

Tire repair kit of the 'sticky string' variety

Small 'slime' electric air pump*

Dial type air pressure gauge

Couple of $20s, (one USD and one CND)

Installed items include: fuse block, PCV and Autotune.

*Near the taillight some space is occupied by a couple of extra relays for LED lights and trailer electrics, but the air pump fits in there nicely, so technically isn't actually under the seat.

BTW, if you've had occasion to use your tire kit, don't bother saving the opened tube of glue. Pretty much guaranteed it'll harden all on it's own...

Like the jumper leads idea.
smile.png

Yeah! I need to stash condoms! To quote the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared."

What a bunch of pervs.
smile.png

From my snowmobiling kit; Always have a lighter or waterproof match's and a prescription pill bottle filled with dryer lint permeated with vaseline, a fire can come in handy...

Power distribution center for my farkles, 12v air pump, tire plugging stuff and a fuel pump for my aux tank (well, that's actually behind the rear seat).

I swapped the booster/jumper cables for this. Easily fits under the seat. Comes with charging cable adapters for phones, ipads/pods, etc. I would think it would be especially helpful for campers with recharging stuff at night. I'm not a camper tho- I bought it b/c I'm still running with my OEM battery from '07 and expect it to crap out when I'm the furthest from home in a dead zone so even satellites can't find me let alone the AAA or AMA. Of course, I expected that to happen last yr, and the yr before that. This PPS is also helpful for autos, tractors, lawn mowers, etc.

Shop around, IIRC mine was $89 from amazon.com.

PhatAir4Me posted: From my snowmobiling kit; Always have a lighter or waterproof match's and a prescription pill bottle filled with dryer lint permeated with vaseline, a fire can come in handy...
Thanks! Long-time backpacker and never heard of that. I use this stuff, which will set a log on fire at the bottom of a creek and is alleged to be illegal in PA and NJ. The FJR carries gasoline, though, so why carry vaseline, dryer lint, or fire paste?

Last edited by a moderator:
PhatAir4Me posted: From my snowmobiling kit; Always have a lighter or waterproof match's and a prescription pill bottle filled with dryer lint permeated with vaseline, a fire can come in handy...
Thanks! Long-time backpacker and never heard of that. I use this stuff, which will set a log on fire at the bottom of a creek and is alleged to be illegal in PA and NJ. The FJR carries gasoline, though, so why carry vaseline, dryer lint, or fire paste?
Good point, we had a father son combo get lost in the woods during a storm and after they were almost out of gas they used the gas and lit their sleds on fire to keep alive.

Just don't buy anything from REI, they live to put anything that burns gasoline out of business, between them and Pantogonia I would only have Amazon to hate!

I wrap a yard or two of duct tape around an old hotel key card. It takes up very little space that way.

If you feel the need to carry a condom, make it an un-lubricated one. That way it can double as a canteen in an emergency.

The Mad Russian has the right idea!

tool kit

first aid kit (good karma)

zip ties

container for earplugs

manual

spare rag

For those who store their manual. I found a digital copy on this forum. I copied it to my Google Drive and can view it on my phone.

JAB, can you link that? I have my KTM and Jet Ski manuals, but not my FJR. It.would be nice to be able to take that out of there. When I install my Fuse block, I'm going to be fishing for space. I added a tooL kit that made me move stuff around.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2007+fjr1300+owners+manual&oq=2007+FJR+owne&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l3.17914j1j4&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I linked the Google find because when I clicked on the Yamaha link, it automatically downloaded the PDF to my phone. Nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have a Fuzeblock FZ-1 under my seat since I have to disassemble some brackets to even be able to remove my seat(s).

Dan

Got the flashlight and Leatherman, as well as spare fuses and paperwork. Love the idea of a $20 or two. Trying to figure out which Slime pump (new name to me) but is it this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1448311251&sr=8-7&keywords=slime+air+compressors
Yup, that's the one. Currently, mine fits in the front tool tray. Electrical tape fits next to it along with some other small stuff and sticky string. Make sure you DO NOT plug that into your glove box outlet. Instead, use a powerlette plug that is connected to the battery.