Tail luggage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vulcan

Reaction score
OK....After looking at all the options for rear trunks I have come to the conclusion that none are good for me. I have decided to go with some form of tail luggage (plus the Yamaha tank bag plus the factory saddle bags....If I cann't get all my stuff in there it will be left behind!).

My requirements for a tail bag are -

1) Must not be huge...I want something that will cover the rear rack and the passanger seat only without digging into my back.

2) Must have some form of secure attachment that will not allow it to move around at speed but it must not require any permant mounting system that will be visible with the bag off the bike.

3) Must be able to be remove quickly and easily.

Nice to haves.....

1) Waterproof cover.

2) Some form of strapping or netting that would allow me to strap down a camel back or a light jacket etc

I came across this model that seems to meet most of these goals......

Tail Bag

Anybody have one of these bags? How are they? Any other similar bags out there that I should also look at?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Nelson Rigg tail bag and I really like it. Check out this old thread for some pictures...

Luggage thread

exp%20200%20b.jpg

I do not have a part number yet, but I can offer the RKA bag that I have been using. It is expandable verically if required. See the picture below:

v1-rka.jpg

I use a "Hellentwowheels" bag.

It is a soft,waterproof (I have been in the RAIN!) ,strap-on bag. I like it because it is quite small untill you fill it. I usually keep riding gear ,shoes,and dirty clothes in it when I travel.

I used a Tourmaster Sport tailbag on my YZF600, then transferred it to the FJR when I got it. I've used it on the FJR for a few overnite trips and it seems to work well. It's expandable, comes w/ a raincover, available in black, red, blue.

Here's the clicky...Tourmaster Sport Tailbag

I ordered the Tourmaster as well. Nice bag but just too big so I sent it back! Like you I want something for smaller items so when im just around town I can take the cases off but still have a spot for small stuff.

Fiveo

The web site for the soft luggage I mentioned above is

www.helen2wheels.com

I really like this stiff.

Paint

I use a Bright Yellow NorthFace waterproof duffle bag that I lay over the passenger seat and sidebags - bungied. I put my tent, sleeping bag etc in that. Rest of the stuff in my Yamaha tankbag and sidebags.

The Dekker Supreme by T-Bags is a sweet bag. This is the one I've been eyeballin' in conjuction with jarauld's luggage rack...

@wheatonFJR
Is this the North Face duffle you're talking about?  Haven't used it on a trip yet but will soon.
@brazos:

Yes that's it - or looks like it. I forget what size mine is. I think it was the largest one. I'm very happy with it.

Oh, christ....just use a duffle bag and some bungee cords. Haven't you kids read my forward backpack and rearward front pack and fanny pack comments?

:lol:

Oh yeah. I forgot that i used to use sabric suitcases. I have 2 different sizes from American Tourister. I bought the shoulder strap/back pack convertible models and would criss-cross the shoulder straps under the rack, then bungee or net over the top.

I suppose it depends on what you have in mind and want to accomplish. Personally, I just got tired of straping everything on so bought the Givi so it can be locked on the bike, then carried into a motel for unpacking. I still use the Nelson-Rigg on the pillion seat, but mostly to carry straps, first aid kit, shock blanket and cleaning supplies when I'm on an extended trip.

Oh, christ....just use a duffle bag and some bungee cords. Haven't you kids read my forward backpack and rearward front pack and fanny pack comments?
:lol:
Sorry, odot. I haven't read ALL your posts...

Please fill me in on your wisdom

$10 duffle bag from Target. Ran some straps through the bottom to be fancy. I remove the rear seat, loop the straps under it and tighten. Then I drop the rear seat back in place, install the front seat and it stays just perfect. I carry a large trash bag in case the weather gets bad... is this too ghetto?

:unsure:

$10 duffle bag from Target. Ran some straps through the bottom to be fancy. I remove the rear seat, loop the straps under it and tighten. Then I drop the rear seat back in place, install the front seat and it stays just perfect. I carry a large trash bag in case the weather gets bad... is this too ghetto? :unsure:
Yes, too ghetto.

It also doesn't work. I tried something similar while travelling in rain squalls between Pittsburgh and Johnstown PA. Everything in the bag was soaked to some extent.

If you like dry clothes and a dry sleeping bag, either get a top case, a waterproof tailbag, or a waterproof duffle.