Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick2

Reaction score
Suggestions for a good tank bag? Pictures and rationale?

Thanks

The Yamaha European Tank bag, is excellent in my opinion. It's expandable as well. I got it at FJR Goodies In Washington. Fast good service on line.

I'm a minimalist in this dept. I have a smaller nelson-riggs, magnetic bag. It's large enough to hold a spare visior, map, garage opener, lense cleaner and all the other crap I need to have, and small enough to keep my from packing in shit that I don't need.

P1011965.sized.jpg

I recently purchased a FAMSA 246 (/29 specifically for the FJR1300) and love it. It is hands down the best tank bag I've ever seen from a quality of construction and materials to fit and functionality. Granted, it's expensive but I doubt you'll find a better bag anywhere. (And believe me when I tell you that I looked!) Here's a link to the US dealer: https://www.bikerworldusa.com/index.html

I haven't taken any pictures of the bag on my bike yet, but will soon.

I am also a minimal minimalist, I also have the smaller Nelson-Rigg, I don't even use the hardbags, the Nelson easily holds the one spare pair of underwear I bring on my week long stints.

I am also a minimal minimalist, I also have the smaller Nelson-Rigg, I don't even use the hardbags, the Nelson easily holds the one spare pair of underwear I bring on my week long stints.

Ummm...one spare? If that is the case, then you definitely misspelled STINKS....your "week long STINKS"! :dribble:

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Ummm...one spare? If that is the case, then you definitely misspelled STINKS....your "week long STINKS"! :dribble:

Jay

'04 FJR 1300
Look at my avatar, pal. Some Tiara wax, and I'm set to go! :p

Suggestions for a good tank bag? Pictures and rationale?
Thanks

I think you need to tell us what you're looking to use the tank bag for? (i.e. how large will you need it to be.)

I went with this one: https://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tank_ba...e_tank_bag.html

Nelson Rigg CL 300.

It is perfect for what I needed it for. Some storage and it didn't block my view of the gauges while riding. I also like the map pouch.

I think you need to tell us what you're looking to use the tank bag for? (i.e. how large will you need it to be.)I went with this one: https://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tank_ba...e_tank_bag.html

Nelson Rigg CL 300.

It is perfect for what I needed it for. Some storage and it didn't block my view of the gauges while riding. I also like the map pouch.
That looks almost perfect-mine is a little smaller, and is lacking the waterproof hole for cordage, a bummer because the pocket they show in the top holds my MixIt2 perfectly. I may just have to look into that unit. My other complaint is that the map holder is pretty tiny-better be a good folder and stuffer. The magnets are mega strong too.

Last edited by a moderator:
FAMSA 246 looks nice but even split in half, it's to big for me. & $230 ouch. Guess it really depends on what you want to carry in the bag.
One of the nicest features of the FAMSA bag is that you can zip off the top and use only the lower section (which itself zips to a bike-specific mounting platform); zip only the upper section to the platform for those trips to the coffe shop or around town, or zip the top to the bottom and then use the whole thing. It's a "3-tank-bags-in-one-system" approach and very, very useful. I'll post some pictures of the various configurations as soon as I can.

FAMSA 246 Tank Bag System pictures as promised:

FAMSA 246/29 Tank Bag mounting platform for FJR1300

FAMSAFJR1300Platform.jpg

FAMSA 246 Small (top) Tank Bag mounted to platform

FAMSA246SmallTankBag.jpg

FAMSA 246 Large (bottom) Tank Bag mounted to platform

FAMSA246LargeTankBag.jpg

FAMSA 246 Tank Bag System (complete; top + bottom)

FAMSA246LargeSmallTankBag.jpg

As an aside, I suppose cost is relative; keep in mind that what you're buying is essentially three top quality tank bags for $230, not one. Oh, yes, it is expandable too..! :eek:

Rad, if you turn 'em inside out, they're good for another week. It'll save you some space. ;)

I recently purchased a FAMSA 246 (/29 specifically for the FJR1300) and love it. It is hands down the best tank bag I've ever seen from a quality of construction and materials to fit and functionality. Granted, it's expensive but I doubt you'll find a better bag anywhere. (And believe me when I tell you that I looked!) Here's a link to the US dealer: https://www.bikerworldusa.com/index.html
I haven't taken any pictures of the bag on my bike yet, but will soon.
Thanks for the pictures.

I live in a small town so I have the disadvantage of not being able to see this kind of equipment locally.

Good suggestions all.

Thanks.

I have one by RKA. Very good quality, approx $130 for a medium size one. Has a removable map holder that holds two sections of AAA maps. Ian, Iowa