Teknic Freeway Jacket or Tour Master Transition Series 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
:blink:

I'm looking for anyone's opinion regarding these two jackets, Teknic Freeway Jacket or Tour Master Transition Series 2 jacket. After much researching on other forums, etc, they both seem good; however, I'm looking for durability if one goes down (falling of your bike while in motion, pervs). How does it hold up for abrasion. I'm leaning towards the Teknic, but....

Thanks in advance for all ya'alls input ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Transition - in Santa Claus red - and I love it.

*kept me bone dry in hours of driving rain.

*the vent system works great - really moves air through when you want it to.

*excellent HD zippers.

*Good pocket layout - interior and exterior

*Great fit and overall quality

*Liner is warm and comfy

BUT - I can't tell you how it would hold up in a crash.

While going down? (I wear jammies. :blink: )

Armor stays put, and snaps on the sleeves allow you to snug everything up.

Seems very solidly made.

I'd definitely buy one again. It's my favorite non-leather.

Hope I've been of some help.

i crashed my Z750S somewhere between Monterey and Big Sur on the 1st of March. it was only 30 mph, but i went down hard on my left side. i credit my transition jacket with saving my skin.

the textile on the elbow had minor scratches, and the shoulder abraided through the first layer (only). because of the armor, niether my shoulder nor my elbow so much as bruised.

the transition is also a good looking jacket. for what it's worth, my wife says the tapered 3/4 length cut makes me look sexy. :) i have retired the jacket, replacing it with a Tourmaster Flex, but i'm keeping it as a momento.

as a side note, i did manage to dislocate the top of my fibula as well as some small bones in my foot and tear some tendons away from the bones (all on my left leg). the bike and i slid, ending with my leg stuck under the bike. but i was damned if i was going to leave me beloved Z behind, so i rode for another 1.5 days like that (popping ibuprofen) so i could get the bike home.

crashchad070.jpg

Like Old Michael, I can tell you a lot about how much I like my Transition, but I can't tell you anything about how it does in a crash. Thankfully.

Only drawback is that I find it a bit too warm when the mercury gets to 80. From now until fall, I'll wear my Tourmaster Intake a lot more often.

Old Michael & sqeezer - Thanks for your input, great information. Now I maybe leaning the other way, cheaper too.

Miguel - Sorry to hear of your get off, glad you're OK. That crash info, that really helps. I wish I could hear from anyone that has a Teknic.

I used the Tourmaster Transion jacket on a little ride I did last summer:

EndDay7.jpg

There are a few (very few) niggles I have with this jacket, but the outstanding properties about it vastly outweigh the few negatives.

The jacket in this photo is the original Transition I series jacket. Evidently, I like this jacket quite a bit, as I just ordered a new Transition II myself from NewEnough.com just yesterday.

Not doing the silver color again.... this time, the new Desert Sand color they offer:

brown.jpg

EndDay7.jpg

There are a few (very few) niggles I have with this jacket, but the outstanding properties about it vastly outweigh the few negatives.

The jacket in this photo is the original Transition I series jacket. Evidently, I like this jacket quite a bit, as I just ordered a new Transition II myself from NewEnough.com just yesterday.

Not doing the silver color again.... this time, the new Desert Sand color they offer:

brown.jpg
I've also got the Transition Series 2, and it's well made and very comfortable in moderate temperatures. Once it started to warm up down here in the South :dribble: , I've started hunting for something a bit cooler to wear through the summer.

EndDay7.jpg

brown.jpg
I got a Transition 2 (sand color) about a month ago and it is great. I haven't tested it in a downpour yet though, but it didn't leak when I got the SA to hit me with the garden hose. :)

Considering the main zipper on my Transitions II jacket failed on me on its second trip ever, I have mixed feelings about this jacket.

For those of you who are sitting there going wtf happened, the main zipper managed to get stuck in the zipped up to the top state. Fortunately for me, this happened when I had just gotten home from the Word rally, and not before or during the rally! After struggling with it for about 15 minutes, I finally came to the conclusion that I was going to have to break the zipper. I zipped up the lower zipper (it has one of those dual zipper deals) all the way up, grabbed the two sides of the jacket and ripped it apart. In doing so, 3-4 of the teeth were torn off the jacket, and the zipper was still stuck! After fiddling with it some more, I could get the zipper to move, but it was constantly getting jammed up. I sent Tour Masters an email Tuesday morning asking about their warantee, and what they could do for me. As of this morning all I have received is an email Tuesday afternoon saying they got my message, and have forwarded to the proper department. I'm guessing that department is the trash can at this point.

For the two rides I had the jacket on (first one was 150 miles, then about 2700 during Word) the jacket was great. It had decent airflow for a non mesh jacket, and was quite warm when the liner was installed and the vents were zipped up. During the Word Rally I never had to use my electric gear in the night, and I never felt I was sweltering away during the heat of the day. I felt it was a good overall design and could have been a top notch jacket.

Overall though, unless Tourmasters steps up to the plate, I will not be replacing it with another. The simple fact that the zipper jammed on the second trip ever is enough to make me look elsewhere.

Have the T2 in black. My main zipper a little sticky at the start sometimes but I think it's because I'm not careful when putting the left and right together.

Me likey jacket though, and the only real complaint I have is that some of the stitching used to hold the inside liner pockets and velcro is coming out. Should be an easy fix though.

for those of you having trouble with Tourmast gear:

try emailing them with your complaint. they have great customer service. when i crashed in March, i shredded the temp controller for my heated Tourmaster gear. i emailed them to ask about selling me a replacement, and they sent me a controller for free.

email them with your complaints...i can't hurt to ask. good luck.

I've got the Transition II and really like it. It just feels more secure on me than the Tourmaster Intake I was using. However, here in Florida I don't think I'll use it much this summer. Anything above 80 can be hot. The jacket has a great venting system but I'm spoiled behind that V-Stream windshield and don't get alot of air on me while riding. Good luck.

I've had the transition 2 for a while and love it. However, it's been my experience that it's not waterproof like the factory claims. Slight drizzle may be OK but in a downpour mine leaks at the zippers on the arms,even though they are closed properly, and at the little black pleats on the cuffs. My arms were wet at the wrists and biceps after around 5 minutes. Water crept down my neck too but that doesn't seal tightly anyway. No crash testing yet ,and the yellow color sure stands out.

Since we are on the T2 subject anyway:

I have the Intake and plan to order a T2 from New Enough as soon as they get the Hi vis in. My Intake is a large and fits OK, but I'd like to be able to add a couple of layers in cold weather under the T2.

My question for you guys with both is, how does the T2 fit compared to the Intake? Is it true to measurement? Large= large, etc.

B)

I can echo some of the other comments on the T2. It is a great jacket for me here is So. CA fall through spring. I'm just about ready to change to my Tourmaster mesh gear for the summer season.

For trips I use my Tourmaster Flex and carry Nelson Rigg rain gear.

The airflow on the T2 is good enough up to about 80 degrees, then you get too warm.

Since we are on the T2 subject anyway:
I have the Intake and plan to order a T2 from New Enough as soon as they get the Hi vis in. My Intake is a large and fits OK, but I'd like to be able to add a couple of layers in cold weather under the T2.

My question for you guys with both is, how does the T2 fit compared to the Intake? Is it true to measurement? Large= large, etc.

B)
The T2 does seem to fit true to size...Large=Large. I wear a 44 suit coat and the Large fits me just fine. The snaps on the shoulders and forearm also let you fine tune the fit quite a bit and I like the adjustability.

Tek

Thanks all, great input.
Any Teknic Freeway jaket people out there????

I'm a little late getting in on this one. However, I have been looking for a new jacket as well and came across the freeway jacket. It's a nice looking one and I included a link to an ADVrider page that gives a nice write up. I went to the local dealer to look at these. I passed. I found the exterior is made of 100% polyester. It didn't feel very sturdy. So, I'm still looking.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291731

Rick