The end of PDP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
With the release of the new Concours based on the ZX14 this weekend, I will make a prediciton that this will be the end of PDP.

When Big K has units sitting in a showroom that you can ride out on today, Yamaha is going to have a hard time finding buyers to put down money and wait 6 months.

092306_concours_top.jpg

092306_concours_bottom.jpg

https://www.concours.org/concours14/1.jpg

https://www.concours.org/concours14/2.jpg

https://www.concours.org/concours14/3.jpg

https://www.concours.org/concours14/6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they will let me order a "special" color, like blue. That way I can still sit and wait, and feel special.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Yeah... the end. And this is good. It shows that more people are buying motorcycles planning to actually hit the road with them.... or to use them as daily drivers.

thx for the pics Fred! Anyone know how much it's supposed to run for? I saw a zx14 in person today. Looks much better in person.

Looks sweet to me :clapping:

It's bound to hurt the FJR sales. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

tel

I've been looking into buying an FJR hence the reason I've been on this board. After seeing the news on the new Kawasaki I'm a little torn now.

I talked to my dealer a couple of months ago and he seemed to think the PDP program on the FJR's might go away in 2007. He believed the FJR would be a warehouse stocked item in 2007. Who knows?

With the release of the new Concours based on the ZX14 this weekend, I will make a prediciton that this will be the end of PDP.
Why this prediction? No other competitive ST bike to date has caused the end of PDP, why this one? What if you think the new Connie is Fugly? What if it weighs a ton? What if it's handling leaves a bit to be desired? What if Kawi detunes it into gutlessness, like they did with the last motor that went into a Connie?

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of PDP programs. But at this point I fail to see how one new Kawi will change the status quo.

But we can hope. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of PDP programs. But at this point I fail to see how one new Kawi will change the status quo.

I'd be less surprised if Mama Kaw came up with their own version of PDP.
That would be effing priceless. :)
More like Kawi is hungry for market share. IMO no way they’re going to starve the supply pipeline for product. Bulls eye Fred; PDP = :rip_1: gets my vote.

However, I don’t believe Yamie or Hon will go down for the count. After all, how difficult would it be for either of them to increase bore or stroke, or a combo thereof, and pick up an extra 100 or so cubic centimeters? Compliment that with a few other improvements and they’ll both be running with the new big dog! :party:

Isn’t the current ZX-14 about 100#’s lighter than the FJR? If so, wouldn’t it stand to reason that :king: Kawi would take great pains to avoid adding unnecessary heft to their new SST? Realizing of course, adding bags and a few other goodies will add some weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 Fred. And with the power performance of the Kawi engine, this will really be interesting to watch in the coming months. PM. <>< :assassin:

Oh snap! That's badass looking scooter, just wish they'd get rid of that gawdawful Testarossa looking mess on the tupperware.

Well, I'm sure the ZX14 is real light, but when you throw on a very stout shaft drive, some extra plastic and some bags with fugly heat management, the weight is bound to increase a bit. Hopefully not much.

My local dealer was talking about how many orders they would get this year through the PDP (which is starting soon)so, as of this weekend, it still exists as far as they know. They still have an AE in the showroom and a couple of used '05s.

Competition is always good for everybody. Kawi usually keeps their prices reasonable.

Let the game begin!

Why this prediction? No other competitive ST bike to date has caused the end of PDP, why this one? What if you think the new Connie is Fugly? What if it weighs a ton? What if it's handling leaves a bit to be desired? What if Kawi detunes it into gutlessness, like they did with the last motor that went into a Connie?

BMW stocks and lets someone test drive their bikes first. The field on performance sport touring bikes is heating up.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Maybe it does look better in person. As is, it sort of looks like something derived from a combined effort of the Pokemon/Transformer illustrators. At the very least, the shit on the side cases has to go. That would clean things up considerably.

I still like it better than the ST1300.