Tire Inflation with CO2 Cartridges - How Many??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benneyb

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anybody know approx. how many CO2 cartridges it takes to fill up one of our rear tires? I've got the Tire String repair kit on order, and am thinking of bringing a bunch of these for inflation.

cartridges

Thanks in advance.

I think 1 cartridge gets you about 10psi. I keep 3 with me at all times. I figure 2 cartridges will at least get me to a gas station or someplace safe and the 3rd would be saved if i need another shot.

No practical experience, just theory.

I always carry about six of them on the bike. As I recall it takes at least two on the rear tire to get you to a air supply down the road. Three would fill it. That is the 12 oz ones.

I think 1 cartridge gets you about 10psi. I keep 3 with me at all times. I figure 2 cartridges will at least get me to a gas station or someplace safe and the 3rd would be saved if i need another shot.No practical experience, just theory.
Good Advice Randy....been there and you are about right on.....and I can tell you it doesnt hurt to have a few extra cartridges as rontoride says....

RR

Last edited by a moderator:
After having the opportunity to fiddle with CO2 cartridges on several occasions for roadside flats, I no longer even bother with them.

My recommendation is to go with a portable air compressor. Either strip one down yourself, or buy one.

Here's a nice, but pricey one: CLICKY HERE

Carry more than you think you need if you go with CO2. What happens when your first or second plug attempts fail (and bleed out the CO2)? I went to a stripped-down 12V compressor and a rag to hold its hotter-than-the-sun-when-pumping body.

That is the 12 oz ones.
12 oz.???

You mean the size of a soda can 12 oz.? I'm betting you mean the 12 gram Powerlet type.

I personally go with the stripped down Campbell Hausfeld compressor from Wal-Mart for $9.76 as my primary inflator. Comes with a standard cigarette lighter end that would work on a stock '06.

As backup I have 5 Powerlet CO2 cartridges and an inflator.

I've heard of more hard core folks having a third inflation source of a small bicycle pump.

SkooterG: Will the power connection on that compressor fit the stock outlet on an '06 that's in the glove box?
I think the '06 glove box only has a 3amp fuse, check the specs on your compressor but I would take a guess it is over 3 amps.

SkooterG: Will the power connection on that compressor fit the stock outlet on an '06 that's in the glove box?
I think the '06 glove box only has a 3amp fuse, check the specs on your compressor but I would take a guess it is over 3 amps.
Agree, 3amps will probably not cut it. Most Powerlet kits come standard with 15amp fuses and a heavy gauge wire to handle the power draw.

Not quite on topic, but have you ever considered a 12volt Airman Sparrow pump. Unlimited air and very compact. It will perfect in the tool tray under the seat.
Get it here for only $19.99

AirMan Sparrow MC MXP 211 Portable Pump
Skyway,

Hey, that is a nifty looking unit. Fits under the seat, eh? Do you know if it comes with a Powerlet adapter/connector?

Just curious, how much running time for this pump would you say before the battery gets drained? I know, I can always run the engine... just curious though.

Thanks for all the replys, guys. I'm going to bring a bunch of those cartridges even if I go for Skyway's pump. It's always good to have a "Plan B". ;)

autozone has a compressor for around 20 bucks fits fine under the seat next to tool kit I added a marine weatherproof accessory/lighter plug from boaters world in the spot where the grip heater control goes to power it will also use this as my battery charger port-walmart has a float charger for bikes with several adapters one being a male connector to fit accessory port/lighter plug pretty good setup not much money.

Not quite on topic, but have you ever considered a 12volt Airman Sparrow pump. Unlimited air and very compact. It will perfect in the tool tray under the seat.

Get it here for only $19.99

AirMan Sparrow MC MXP 211 Portable Pump
Skyway,

Hey, that is a nifty looking unit. Fits under the seat, eh? Do you know if it comes with a Powerlet adapter/connector?

Just curious, how much running time for this pump would you say before the battery gets drained? I know, I can always run the engine... just curious though.

Thanks for all the replys, guys. I'm going to bring a bunch of those cartridges even if I go for Skyway's pump. It's always good to have a "Plan B". ;)

If you give these guys a call, they'll hook you up with exactly what you need. Sierra Motorcycle Supply is also Sierra BMW Motorcycle. I stopped by there one time to buy the same Sparrow unit from them, great folks to deal with. ;)

The tool tray below the front seat seems like it was purpose built to fit this pump.

I did the Slappy underseat compressor mod.

CH compressor from walmart w/built in air guage $9.99, fits under the seat of an 06 nicely. I does not work on the glove box power outlet that is only 3 amps as stated already. I took a battery tender outlet from the battery and modified one end into a cig lighter receptical. It works great. If I can find my link I'll post it.

link

Do you know if it comes with a Powerlet adapter/connector?
You're not going to find many of these compressors with a Powerlet on them.....unless by chance they're European and use BMW plugs I would think. That said, it's an easy convert if you buy a Powerlet end.

Plenty of juice in the battery. With a flat tire on a narrow two lane road in the middle of the desert I spent about 20 minutes with parking lights on, a Littlite lighting the area, compressor on to get the rear to 42 psi, and no trouble turning turning over the engine after I was done.

Thank others for pointing out the 3 amp thing. Didn't think about that. That's pretty pointless of an outlet. Oh well.

Sky's pump, eh? He'll need a bigger one if he wants to win next years "man-boob" contest. :eek: Damn....did I just say that?
I'm not even a hair on one of Rad's man-boob's, he's got the free tire thing all wrapped up. With the judges now having an insight into what these guys are willing to do, I'm thinking at least 6 shots will be needed. I still think Rad was toning it down to keep the banquet food in the right place. That and screams of "Oh *&%$ don't do that" :lol:

Skyway,
Do you know if it comes with a Powerlet adapter/connector?
Though its not listed on their site, there is a BMW/Cigar plug combo version of the Sparrow pump available for around $5 extra.

I'm not even a hair on one of Rad's man-boob's, he's got the free tire thing all wrapped up. With the judges now having an insight into what these guys are willing to do, I'm thinking at least 6 shots will be needed. I still think Rad was toning it down to keep the banquet food in the right place. That and screams of "Oh *&%$ don't do that" :lol:

Ok, I'll bite - what did Rad do to win this contest? I've got a feeling I'll be sorry I asked. ;)