Tire markings on a Pilot Road 2B

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Michelin web site shows a difference in tread pattern in PR vs. PR2
https://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotroad2
Thanks for the fast reply, although my question is about Pilot Road 2 tires and not the Pilot Road. I am looking for a way to tell the difference between the Load Range B tire and the standard tire.
All the tires I've seen have the load range stamped on the sidewall, as in "Load Range B". It's in small print, but it's there. Yours don't have that?

How can I tell if I have a PR2 or a PR2B on the bike?
If I remember correctly, look for the number of plies on sidewall and tread. The PR2 has two plies sidewall, and the PR2B has three.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my pics. I've always ordered 'B' spec tires from sW moto.

This pix shows the only 'B' designator I could find. I'm curious to see if your tire has the same marking.

Pr2B.jpg

More markings, JIC.

Pr2b1.jpg

Pr2b4.jpg

And this is interesting too, from a dual compound perspective. This tire has been baking the hot kali sun for the entire summer. It's a PR2. Notice the definte color difference between the center stripe and shoulder area. Could this be the width of the compound trail?

Pr2b3.jpg

Hope this helps Mike..

The Stiffer Heavier Side Wall PR2 will Display 3 Polymide but I think it will show the same Load Range B even though it has 2 extra plys in its construction.... for sure you can tell by the price of about an additional $40 to the Regular PR2 tire.

Thanks Don for the great pictures.

Here is the 3Ply Version at Dennis Kirk for $185:

https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/tire/pro...tId=&mmyId=

Capacities and Construction:

Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 805 lbs./42 PSI

Load Range: B

Bias or Radial Ply: Radial

Tread Plies/Material: 3 Polyamide/1 Aramid

Sidewall Plies/Material: 3 Polyamide DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes

Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless

Here is the 2Ply Version at Dennis Kirk for $166:

https://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/tire/pro...tId=&mmyId=

Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 805 LBS/42 PSI

Tread Plies/Material: 2 Polyamide/1 Aramid

Sidewall Plies/Material: 2 Polyamid

DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes

Thanks for the links to Dennis Kirk.

I can see from all the PR2s I have that none of them are PR2Bs.

All of my tires have been 2 ply not 3 ply.

I will have to talk with the Yamaha Dealer since he thinks he sold me a PR2B yesterday.

Thanks for the links to Dennis Kirk. I can see from all the PR2s I have that none of them are PR2Bs.

I will have to talk with the Yamaha Dealer since he thinks he sold me a PR2B yesterday.
I'm sorry, what proves it again? I'm slow and old.

Edit

Sidewall ID Information: Michelin Pilot Road 2 180/55ZR-17 M/C 73W

I'll look for this tomorrow. Kind of dark right now..

Thanks for the links to Dennis Kirk. I can see from all the PR2s I have that none of them are PR2Bs.

I'm sorry, what proves it again? I'm slow and old.

Edit

Sidewall ID Information: Michelin Pilot Road 2 180/55ZR-17 M/C 73W

I'll look for this tomorrow. Kind of dark right now..
It looks like some of the confusion is the B designation of the heavier tire getting confused with the Load Range B marked on the tire. There is also a PR2C available that is designed for a Triumph Tiger.

Model Specific Fitments:

180/55ZR-17 B = BMW K1200GT & R1200RT; Yamaha FJR1300

180/55ZR-17 C = Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)

There is a Pilot Road tire listed for the BMW that is designated 180/55ZR-17 K which is also a load range B tire.

It looks like, from the Dennis Kirk pages, that the PR2B has Three Plys of Polymide and the standard PR2 has 2 plys. The tire I have on the bike now has two polymide and 1 aramide plys.

The details below are from the PR2B on the Dennis Kirk site. They show the PR2B has three polymide plys. Both tires are marked as load range B.

Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 805 lbs./42 PSI

Tread Plies/Material: 3 Polyamide/1 Aramid

Sidewall Plies/Material: 3 Polyamide

DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes

Aspect Ratio: 55

Construction: Radial

Position: Rear

Rim Size: 17

Sidewall: Blackwall

Speed Rating: W

Tire Classification: Sport/Touring

Tube Type: Tubeless

Units: Each

Width: 180

My conclusion is, the PR2B tires can be identified by the Three Polymide plys marked on the side of the tires. If it is marked with two plys then it is a standard tire casing with two polymide plys.

I found this note on the Dennis Kirk listing.

NOTE: The letter code on the sidewall of the tire and the label represents the compound and construction of that tire which will vary to suit the weight, horsepower and handling characteristics of the model for which each tire was designed

Thanks for the help figuring this out.

I am begining to think the people selling the tires can't tell the difference.

I know I paid extra and got the standard tire and. I also know the guys at the local dealer will make it right.

I will get a price adjustment and ride this one while the PR2B is on order. Mistakes happen and nobody was trying to cheat me.

I would recommend you check your tires and make sure you got what you paid for.

I called the Yamaha dealer today and they still have my special order tire sitting there. Service dept. installed the wrong one on Friday. I told them I would buy it and put it on next time. Parts manager said he will give me a fantastic deal on it. I should have it tonight to take some pictures and post them for comparison.