Tires for an Alaskan trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very interesting and looks to be more of a challenge than I'd care for unless on a adventure bike.
Don't give up on the trip. Be prepared to work with the weather and change your route(s) should it be needed. There's been more than a few who've ridden the entire haul road on street tire equipped street bikes and FJRs. Although you might miss a few of the more remote sights, the trip would still be on the epic scale.

But, having said that, [far] north-of-the-border riding is exactly the reason I have both a FJR & Tenere. Gotta have the right tool for the occasion!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Please talk about your Top of the World transit
Coming out of Tok, we had mixed weather with light showers occasionally. we encountered dirt roads the last 30-40 miles into Chicken, our destination for the night.

typical condition of the road when wet

WDLWv1x.jpg

Since it was going to pour that night, we got to camp under the picnic shelter. And it did pour all night.

T8bXqCu.jpg

The only gas in Chicken

nnB2wk7.jpg

The next morning the road was still wet gravel - consistency of decomposed granite with clay mixed in - the clay patches were slippery, most of the ride was at about 30 mph, and keeping a smooth and steady pace with very smooth inputs. It would be very easy to put the bike on its side. I did slide a few times, but no falls, only a couple of foot dabs. Elevations changes could be fairly steep both up and down.

one of the down hills between Chicken and the Yukon border.

mGaLzMr.jpg

the above was a better than average spot, just around the corner got into some soft clay that was wet and slippery. this picture below is just coming to the pavement section (about 5 miles on the US side of the border) is typical of what most of the gravel looked like.

lkEOChH.jpg

The pavement going down to the river for the ferry crossing to Dawson City. Pavement started about a mile out of town. We had pavement from here south through the Yukon.

3VBy5yx.jpg

If I were to rate the gravel riding on the Top of the World Hwy. I would rate this at a 7 out of 10 for difficulty. If you are not comfortable with gravel riding then you must do it in the dry. We made it tougher because we were 2up pulling a trailer.

We have a total of a about two thousand of miles on gravel of all conditions riding 2up with a trailer over the years. We did not encounter any gravel roads that were detrimental on either the 2011 trip or the 2016 trips to Alaska. The most difficult gravel road we have done to date is the Burr trail in Utah - look it up -

these are going down the waterfold (yes it is that steep - unpassable if wet)

dIvytrL.jpg

behind us is Panman

4t6c7Kz.jpg

once out on the flats, the road got very soft and silty about 2-4" deep in places which caused the front tire to plow. here is entering a wash and going out. You get one chance to make it, it is slippery and soft and steep in and out.

91oe13L.jpg

6DVauG5.jpg

I expect our next trip which will go up the haul road to Prudoe Bay, we will encounter the worst gravel roads we have ever ridden on. I don't know what the road to Invuk is like maybe some others can post pictures of those roads.
I think I would have to take my DR650 for a trip like that after putting a bigger tank on it. Don't think I would have the heart to put my FJR through that.

Kudos to your riding skill (and a little luck) to pull this off.

Your destinations seem to be on "Prime roads" I have ridden to Deadhorse and back (Key West) and had no problems with PR2s. Take care through repair areas,

and you should be fine. More important… don't cancel your trip to concerns. Once you've ridden in Alaska, you will ache to get back again…and again…

Take a tire repair kit and a couple tubes of shoe Goo and you will be set.

PR4s took me to Alaska 3 times , each trip over 10,000 miles. One of the trips was to Deadhorse and back. Never had a flat. I did do another trip on the spur of the moment with other tires. When those wore out couldn't get what I wanted the next set had a large hole by 1700 miles had to wait 3 days for another tire. PR 4s the way to go.

Your destinations seem to be on "Prime roads" I have ridden to Deadhorse and back (Key West) and had no problems with PR2s. Take care through repair areas,and you should be fine. More important… don't cancel your trip to concerns. Once you've ridden in Alaska, you will ache to get back again…and again…

Take a tire repair kit and a couple tubes of shoe Goo and you will be set.
My new trailer will be carrying a set of mounted up dual sport tires for the FJR, specifically for the haul road and for spares elsewhere. This will be our third trip back with many more in our future for sure.!

I really admire you guys who elect to ride an FJR to Alaska. Having been to Alaska numerous times, never on two wheels, it amazes me that people do it on bikes other than adventure type bikes. The road conditions and weather are not conducive to sport touring bikes. Just my opinion.

Hell, there was a rally about six years ago (Hoka Hey) in which hundreds of Harleys were ridden to Alaska.

Sorry, I meant I wasn't going to do the road to chicken or Prudhome Bay. This will be my second trip to Alaska, and I am looking forward to it!