To total or not to total...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearman

Reaction score
Related post

Talked to the insurance adjuster today. The FJR is so close on repair cost/value that they left it up to me. If I take the total loss route and buy another bike within 30 days ($500 deductible-they reimburse sales tax and title costs) I will just about break even on the purchase price. In other words, I'll eat the $500+ I paid for tax and title. I'm ok with that, but now I have to buy another bike (yes, it will be another FJR). Buying used bikes is always somewhat of a gamble. I could pony up the extra $, get a new '08 and alleviate the risk of buying used. Or I could go with "the devil that I know" and get the wreck repaired. I'm sure that it will take a month or more for the dealer to get that feat accomplished. And if the waters weren't muddied enough, the guy at the shop says I could take the total loss option and buy the bike from the insurer and fix it myself. I'm assuming it would then be considered salvaged. I dunno...used parts are neither plentiful or inexpensive for these machines. Any thoughts that might nudge me one way or another?

Gearman ~ Given enough time, I'm sure you could find a suitable used replacement bike, but that 30 day window of opportunity kind of puts me off. It took me considerably longer than that to find the 06 that I have... looked at a number of bikes before finding the one I wanted.

There could be some additional hidden damage lurking in your present machine, and that would add to the cost of trying to restore it back to it's original condition. Your concern about having a Salvage title is certainly valid unless you plan to keep it forever and ride it into the ground. Resale would certainly be adversely affected.

If you can absorb the cost of stepping up to an 08 or 09, I think that's the direction I'd be leaning if I were in your position.

Good Luck on your decision!

Don

agreeing with dsmack - if it were my choice, I'd be looking at going with a new bike.

Many options are available, but that time window is short. 30 days might seem like a while, but it'll zip by way too fast.

I view situations like this as atgatt - get the best you can afford.

gearman, go new!

i bought my '05 and i love it. if i were to crash it and were given the deal you are looking at, i'd go new.

finding a cherry '05 in your area that meets your criteria may or may not be easy. repairing the machine could be done but you'd be riding a wrecked bike, resale later would not be good at all.

that is how i'd play the cards delt to me.

cadman

If you can swing it, go new. You'll sleep better, worry less, and not ask yourself "what if?" the first time something goes wrong with the wrecked bike (and we all know that eventually something will go wrong... after all they're machines). Plus, you'll have a new FJR! I'm already jealous.

There's enough refinements to Gen II, I'd go new, and that black bike is just plain sexy.

I'm with the rest, I'd go for new one if I could swing it.

Not sure what the deal is on the 30 days though, I thought the insurance company would just issue a check for what the bike was worth and you could basicly use the money for whatever the hell you wanted....like a hottub instead of another bike.

KM

Not sure what the deal is on the 30 days though, I thought the insurance company would just issue a check for what the bike was worth and you could basicly use the money for whatever the hell you wanted....like a hottub instead of another bike.
They'll issue a check for the valuation of the bike (-$500 deductable). If you replace the bike within 30 days of settlement they will also reimburse the sales tax and title fees based on the valuation of the wrecked bike...or at least that's how I took it.

Go new if you can swing it. Many good reasons listed. Even the best repair job could leave something just out of whack with an impact like you had. I had a mtn bike that I bent the forks on (nasty down hill bicycle trail wreck). Forks replaced, frame all checked out and w/in spec etc but the damn thing never rode the same...something somewhere was gorked just a hair and I could feel it in the handling...go new!

I'm with the rest of the crowd, go new if you can afford it. As another option, there is an 05 being parted out on ebay right now. Not sure what you need, but there are a ton of parts listed. As far as new bikes go, also check ebay for new 08s. There are currently a couple 08 AEs for $10,995. The dealer I bought my 08 AE from also had an 07 AE,but they may have sold it. They were asking $9,500 for the 07. I love my 08 AE, but I've never riden an FJR with a clutch lever, so I don't know how they compare. After 24k+ miles using a clutch lever on my previous bike, I'm perfectly happy to let the YCCS handle it now. :D

Mike

Frankly, I've thougth about that alot. I have a '04 with 95k miles. Personally, I have no complaint with Gen I plus I have mega $$$ in farkles installed and the bike is just the way I like it. I would have to purchase another low mileage '04 or '05 that I was convinced was well maintained. It would have to have ABS.

I would move all the farkles I already own to the "new" bike. Especially if a '04 ABS, I could even move over the Yammy trunk. The rest would be easy.

I am confident I could purchase from this forum (seen three or four inviting '04/'05 ABS bikes for good prices. You can tell a good bike and the bugs are determined in the first 1000 miles and a 15-20k miles bike isn't going to be dogged. If ya uncomfortable, just have a local bike mechanic do an inspection with compression check, eval of all fluids, and a ride test for you. Cost: $50. You save big $$$ as the new owner ate the depreciation of 15-20% when he rode it off the lot. Bike at 15k has new tires, hopefully some kind of trunk, and other extras probably. There's one for sale only 60 miles from me already equipped with a Russel seat - cost $500-700 just for that.

Well you asked me and I told ya. I've only purchase one new cage in my life: when I was expecting my first child, I bought a Honda Odyssey mini van. I knew I'd keep it till it died. 120k miles now and still going strong. I want to get my money's worth as my last name is not Gates.

Admittably, I'm not a fan of black, but the blacked out '09 is a beautiful bike. I like the Black Cherry '07 and might be persuated to buy new there, but really, I've not seen a new non AE '07 or older available. Lotsa AE's; a guy just 40 miles away in Slidell found a dealership in Picayune, MS 60 miles away with 3 left over brand new '05 AE's. He bought one at a steal last week.

let's see whats out there - near Ohio??? - that's what fly and ride is for, hugh...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...676&hl=2005

Jackson, MS - ABS - a few hours from me - I'd pick it up for you if you like; can fly and ride and stay at my home as long as you wish - we could do some riding together

Russel seat, Yammy matching trunk, better grab it up quick, been on the market awhile, price might be negotiable

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...031&hl=2005

Cinn, OH

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...235&hl=2005

Philly, PA

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...320&hl=2005

CA

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...900&hl=2005

WI

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...936&hl=2005

NH

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...404&hl=2005

Jacksonville, FL but non ABS

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...034&hl=2005

Atlanta but non ABS

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...403&hl=2005

Tampa, FL - don't know if ABS

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...787&hl=2005

Massachusetts, but non ABS

Just my 1.5 cents

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
You're in a great situation, given the negatives you've already navigated. I'm with what seems to be the majority opinion so far, I'd stretch for new if its reasonably doable. I love my 06 and if I was in a similar situation I'd be all over a new one. My $0.02. But hey my kids are grown and my life is pretty simple too!

Bob

Related post
Talked to the insurance adjuster today. The FJR is so close on repair cost/value that they left it up to me. If I take the total loss route and buy another bike within 30 days ($500 deductible-they reimburse sales tax and title costs) I will just about break even on the purchase price. In other words, I'll eat the $500+ I paid for tax and title. I'm ok with that, but now I have to buy another bike (yes, it will be another FJR). Buying used bikes is always somewhat of a gamble. I could pony up the extra $, get a new '08 and alleviate the risk of buying used. Or I could go with "the devil that I know" and get the wreck repaired. I'm sure that it will take a month or more for the dealer to get that feat accomplished. And if the waters weren't muddied enough, the guy at the shop says I could take the total loss option and buy the bike from the insurer and fix it myself. I'm assuming it would then be considered salvaged. I dunno...used parts are neither plentiful or inexpensive for these machines. Any thoughts that might nudge me one way or another?
Random thoughts:

You don't say if any expensive farkles are transferrable to a similar used bike but not transferrable to a new one. That would make a difference.

If the bike required that much repair, could the repair shop do a good enough job on all the issues to restore your confidence, or would you always be thinking about it? Depending on what has to be repaired, I think repair would be my last choice. If it's just tupperware and superficial stuff I might consider it, but even the tupperware has to be put on correctly or it'll rattle and shake. If framework's involved, I'd skip the repair option.

There's a lot to be said for sticking with the familiar rather than having to relearn a lot of new stuff. The GenIIs have a lot of improvements, but nothing all that dramatic that if you're happy with a GenI you'd dump it just to switch.

In your position, I'd take a quick look around and see if there were any good deals. In this economy, and without wishing any Feejer-riding brothers and sisters ill, you might find a very good buy quickly on a steed you're very comfortable with and knowledgeable about.