Total Knee Replacement - my experience might help you

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone here is saying their knee replacement was a nightmare, but make no mistake, it is not a walk in the park. It's painful because the surgery is violent. They cut off the head of the Femur and the head of the Tibia. Then they screw and glue titanium spikes into each bone and attach the new parts. Tendons and muscle are cut and reattached. Thankfully, I've never had one done, but I've been in on at least a hundred of them.

If anyone expects or claims a pain free recovery they're crazy. It's gonna hurt, but like all things, it will subside, and in most cases the recipient has less pain than they endured for years.

Expect a recovery period that includes pain, patience, and physical therapy. I've broken multiple bones, had multiple surgeries, had a LOT of stitches or staples, have had my right knee rebuilt twice, and have been to lots of physical therapy. The one consistent thing is, it is never rainbows and unicorns. The only injury that has ever caused me lasting pain and issues, I'll have to deal with later, was the one that FUBAR'd my knee the first time. They're a complicated part and are never 100% after they've been cut. If a doctor tells you that's possible, he's a liar and has a God complex. Find a new doc. My first knee doctor was a cocky asshole. He did more damage to my knee than good. If the second guy that cut me had done my first surgery, I'd have way less issues.

Good luck!

So Don, are you glad you had the replacement? Or is the alternative - where you were - better? Just curious..
smile.png
In the long run, Miss T, now that I'm seeing PT improvement, I'll be better off than with OEM parts. Here's the thing. We humans tend to live in the moment and forget the past. Now I wish I had video of me walking before surgery.. the short steps, the occasional 12/10's pain powerfully breaking the stride. Of having to dangle the foot off the bed to allow extension, some pain relief, some sleep.

I tend to be optimistic. I found and talked with peeps that had phenomenal results, like Harper here. So I went in with perhaps unreasonably high expectations? Harper has no clicking and clacking. I still do. 3 clicks out, 1 big ass clack back. Pretty much every step. That's a reality 9 weeks later. Still hoping for improvement.

..and riding has some issues too. It's VERY difficult for me mount up.. to clear the leg over the top case. Too much torque on the joint from my massive leg muscles and boot. So I've been dismounting to the right, and/or have to drag my boot across the seat if from the left.

On the other hand.. This post surgery stuff will do nothing but improve.. and the OEM parts were only getting worse and worse. At least this option prescribes hope and optimism.

I drug my right foot across the saddle all the way to Alaska and back, had to have the seam on the KLR seat re-stitched after I got back. Leg works better now. Hang in there DC, give it a Y E A R!!!

Monday will be 9 weeks from my right knee total replacement surgery.

No pain, full strength, no issues. I'm cross country skiing, walking as much as I need.

Very pleased with the results.

So Don, are you glad you had the replacement? Or is the alternative - where you were - better? Just curious..
smile.png
In the long run, Miss T, now that I'm seeing PT improvement, I'll be better off than with OEM parts. Here's the thing. We humans tend to live in the moment and forget the past. Now I wish I had video of me walking before surgery.. the short steps, the occasional 12/10's pain powerfully breaking the stride. Of having to dangle the foot off the bed to allow extension, some pain relief, some sleep
I always remind people to take a moment and look back at where you were and how far you've come... in the day to day process of living, we tend to not notice the progress we've made along the way... keep up with the PT and progress will continue... I'm sure FJRay might have a sledgehammer he could offer up to take care of the click-clacks... :)

Admire your grit and disciplined regimen during your recovery Carver. Sending you good thoughts! Merry Xmas to you my friend.

Harper has no clicking and clacking.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. My knee makes a lot of clicking and clacking racket. But that's a really good trade-off for saying, "ouch," every step or every surprise change in position. A very different noise.

It sounds like you're on a good part of the recovery curve, now.

My wife and daughter out me through a five mile forced March on cobbled streets last week. I had pain, swelling and click clacking. Still a bit swollen, still clicking but a two mile frozen gravel walk with the dogs this evening wasn't too bad.

SWMBO'd continues to make improvements but the curve seems to be flattening as the increments are not seemingly as noticeable. Her backward flexure is past the goal (125 degrees now), but her straightening is still holding at about 4 degrees (with a goal of zero). I'm not surprised as the exercises that straighten her leg give her the most pain (she still cries crocodile tears twice a day), and naturally, no one gets too motivated for that. She's stopped the narcotic, and is now just using advil and ice, which offers about the same effect.

Over the last week, her spirit has waned a little as well. All along, we were told (preached even) that this was not a sprint, but a marathon. Six to nine month recovery. And while those words seemingly roll off the tongue fairly easily, now 5 weeks into this and staring at another 5 months or more to go, the brevity of that is weighing on her. I'm afraid my pep talks aren't cutting the mustard much either.

Still, she is not quitting. We borrowed a very nice stationary bike from a friend yesterday and she likes riding it. The doctor is encouraging her to use it, as the bike is a no-load exercise that offers full movement of the joint. We'll see.....

The click/clacking has started with her and she doesn't like it. The doctor said get over it, and learn to live with it.

We booked a cabin at the State Park in Gulf Shores, Alabama for the Mardi Gras weekend. She loves to ride bikes and walk the trails there. We're going to pack the tennis rackets too. Seems like a Hail Mary right now, but at least it's something to look forward to.

The information in this thread has helped her, by the way. She's heard more than enough from people who HAVEN'T BTDT ("Zip it, Pants!!!"), but whenever someone (anyone) who has had joint replacement surgery offers advice, she is very attentive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her backward flexure is past the goal (125 degrees now), but her straightening is still holding at about 4 degrees (with a goal of zero).
This is actually pretty common. I reached 120 degree flexation fairly quickly - after a few weeks - but is was just over 2 months before I could reach 180 degrees extension.

The click/clacking has started with her and she doesn't like it. The doctor said get over it, and learn to live with it.

Well.... he is essentially correct.
upset.gif

Almost three years since surgery now, and my clicking is still a source of irritation. At my 1 year follow-up exam, I complained loudly of the clicking, and the surgeon shrugged and said: "Hey, new knees click." So I'm like: "Where was all this info about clicking knees during the many preparation classes and pre-surgery documents? Why aren't patients made aware of the possibility of post-surgical "clicking", so it doesn't come as a surprise"?

He shrugged again and said, "Well, they should include that info, that's true". Fat lot of good it does now.

The main criteria these bone-cutters use to consider going back into the knee comes down to a single factor: pain. If you still have pain, something is not correct, and they are willing to cut you open again.

But if you are pain-free, but have noisy knees: too bad, so sad, but fuck you. No cutting knees back open to try to eliminate noise.

For the majority of folks, the clicking is irritating, but otherwise, isn't a huge screaming deal.

However, if prior to surgery you had a career as a stealthy, quiet Ninja, you'll need to find another line of work.
weirdsmiley.gif

The bottom line question has to be: "Is it better now than it was before surgery?"

I'm my case there Is No comparison, I used to think about "Will my knee allow me to do this?" Now I don't have those thoughts. Sometimes I'll do something dumb like kneel on it without a pad or cushion which hurts like hell, other than that i have don't even think about it very often.

If your wife is stuck at 4 degrees in the extension there is a good chance the surgeon will numb her up and "m a nipulate" the joint to achieve the desired 0 degrees. You don't want to be in the room for that procedure. JSNS

I don't have problems walking or running. I have a moderate amount of discomfort kneeling/standing, just the motion part. My problem is, especially within 24 hours of going running, being stationary in a sitting position for very long makes my knees hurt like someone is taking a blowtorch to both of them. Makes flying excruciating. Long car trips can be rough. Don't know what any of this means for the future, but it isn't likely to be good. I always figured (from afar) that knee problems would manifest while actually doing the activity, rather than when sitting/stationary.

Again, this is all very helpful. Special shout out to Carver for bringing up the subject.

Regarding the "click/clack", I sense that she's just irritated by it, certainly it's not painful. It's unnatural and she was worried that something might be wrong. Warchild - like you, they never said anything about this before hand. It caught her by surprise. The doctor told her the same - no pain, nothing else we can do.

@John - plus 1 to you. She is already worlds better. There is no doubt this was the right thing to do. The PT person (aka "the Torture Maid") puts her on this table and then manipulates, er.... torques her leg straight a couple of times during each session. One time I swear to the heavens - I thought she was going to clock the kid right in the mouth!!! But she holds her emotions until she gets to the car, and then cries like a baby. It's hard to watch, honestly.

I got a very good text report this morning regarding the stationary bike. It will be better. One day at a time.

RE click-clack. My surgeon, two PT's all said it will go diminish greatly if not go away completely once the muscles, tendons, connecting tissue get stronger to stabilize the joint. So imagine my total surprise when the surgeon's aid casually said 'Oh, it will never go away. It will be there forever!' My dear sweet Shauna just about ripped the aides head off - this was the first time those words had ever been heard by me or Shauna.

Immediately after the bomb shell statement, in parades the surgeon. I ask him again about the click-clack's and he replied back, 'oh it will go away, just takes time', and I recall thinking someone is lying to me or this science is all that scientific... and that I believe the aide is more correct than the surgeon.

Pant's. Share with your wife that the 6 - 8 week stage was the most difficult for me. The weeks following have resulted in dramatic improvement, mine has not been a linear recovery.. With the exponential curve being faster, better improvement as time goes on.

Regarding the flat. Yes. The flat hurts. The flat must be worked ALL THE TIME, especially at home. Don't rely solely on PT. Sitting in the easy chair? Put the foot on top of fat book on the coffee table, place 5 pounds weight on the knee, then start adding weight as time goes on.

Jacuzzi. After the incision heals, and surgical swelling is down, I found the jacuzzi very helpful to perform flats and extension. I still hit the jacuzzi 2x daily, working, working, working it. Immediately ice after the warm water causes some swelling.

Swelling. Two issues. 1- surgical 2-local knee. Local knee swelling still happens with me, 10 days away from the 90 day mark. I've been standing a lot farkling Naomi, as in 5 hours a day or more. I could not do that on the OEM knee.

Exercise. I'm now done with PT, graduated. Now I have to transfer over to the smelly gym and get a routine going. I find myself doing self-PT in the strangest of places.. In the car when not driving. Stretching the hammies on the motocycle lift or tractor tire rim. I too bought an exercise bike and ride it almost daily. I need to improve on my bike consistency as it really loosens the knee up.

Sedentary. I agree with the other poster... Bill L? that sitting is the worse... the knee just wants to 'freeze up' and it takes some work to get it back again.

I hope this helps -

So imagine my total surprise when the surgeon's aid casually said 'Oh, it will never go away. It will be there forever!' My dear sweet Shauna just about ripped the aides head off - this was the first time those words had ever been heard by me or Shauna.
Immediately after the bomb shell statement, in parades the surgeon. I ask him again about the click-clack's and he replied back, 'oh it will go away, just takes time', and I recall thinking someone is lying to me or this science is all that scientific... and that I believe the aide is more correct than the surgeon.
Really discouraging that the surgeon would just openly lie about this.

The clicking will NOT go away over time.

I started noticing the clicking by Day Two of walking. Only one click per step (when putting weight on that leg). Within a week, it was two clicks per *step*.... a 'click' when weight is put on the knee, and a second 'click. when taking weight off of the knee.

But after that point, the behavior did not change. The clicking did not get worse, nor did it improve to any degree. While I find the clicking just about as irritating as fuck, there is some comfort in realizing there has been no more change in behavior/noise since then.

Bottom line: my surgery was early March, 2015. Double-clicking per step was realized by late March, 2015 and has not changed one iota in the ensuing 33 months.

I have a friend who had both knees done just as this thread started, so its been interesting to read it.

Shes a nurse, so probably has some realistic expectations, and maybe better access to the innermost thoughts of the surgeon.

I dont think anyone does this procedure unless they HAVE to. As was pointed out, it is seriously intrusive and involves two chunks of bone to be removed from each leg.

So ... a bit of clicking or clacking would seem to be a small price to pay to regain much of ones mobility.

The door man at 3rd & Lindsley in Nash Vegas ruined his knees during his minor league hockey career in the Boston Bruins organization. It got so bad that he finally had his knees done a couple of years ago.

Because of this thread, when I saw him the other night I asked him how his knees were doing. He beamed from ear to ear, happy that someone would ask ... and he said Theyre great! Couldnt ask for better.

So I guess how happy you are after the procedure depends on how bad your pain was with your OEM equipment.

Another case where YMMV. 🙉🙈🙊

I can't imagine any surgeon worth his/her salt doing this procedure unless it was scientifically proven to be the ONLY alternative. We tried steroid injections, the "fake cartilage" shit they give you, everything. When the joint is down to bone-on-bone, you're done.

Despite her temporary frustrations, I know in her heart she believes it was the right decision at the right time and better days are coming.

Carver - she read through this thread again last night and was particularly encouraged by your comment regarding "week 6-8" being the next major milestone.