Trunk Options? Weight Limit? Strap-ons?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttsb

Reaction score
I would appreciate any comments on optional trunks for holding gear securely. the factory $700 option (bracket, trunk, seat rest) gives me pause...which is better than a lot of other things given to me. Are there nicely attached weatherproof soft bags, about the same volume as the factory trunk? What is the stock rack for and how do you attach to it?

rack

Those racks will hold a ton from what i can tell. I think the stock rack only holds 10 lbs or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite happy w/ my Givi V46 and I think it came in under $500 including the optional stuff I added to it (galaxy blue top, lightweight luggage rack on top of the case).

IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

I even had the rack powder coated for like $40. I also use a Nelson Rigg expandable soft bag that I place on the passenger seat when I need extra room. Real nice.

exp%20200%20b.jpg

GunMD

Thanks Alex...and the cool thing is that it ALL comes off so quickly. On my recent trip (My 5500 mile trip) I stayed in hotels most of the time and really enjoyed the ability to "unhook" everything in seconds and carry it all to my room.

Oh, and that Nelson Rigg pack expands to a crazy height and width. Even came w/ a rain cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
GunMD, the Givi V46 and the rest of your bike looks great. First choice I think.

at https://www.amotostuff.com

GIVI E460G753 Monokey Case - Silver

Code:E460G753

Price: $243.90

GIVI C46B572 Lid for V46 Monokey Cases - Blue

Code:C46B572

Price: $57.42

GIVI SR346 Topcase Mounting Kit-Yamaha FJR1300

Code:SR346

Price: $124.02

GalaxyBlue, the rack reference is interesting, and it looks like it clamps onto the stock rack?

Still seems there should be an option for mounting hard or soft bag on the stock rack alone. The stock rack seems plenty sturdy. Clamps could be an option.

It would be nice to have a hard topcase that went over the passenger seat (my wife swears she will never ride with me...and why is she increasing my life insurance?) to make the bike more compact. The hard case does seem the most secure, low worry way to go. 650miles on bike, ave. speed 45? max.120 for a second.

webshots album ceztom
379512349cZljGs_ph.jpg

I'm with GalaxyBlue!

Get one of Gary's racks... you won't be disappointed. I got a color-matched rack with the Corbin post attachment that accepts any Corbin backrest.

Then I went over to Helen2Wheels site and ordered 3 bags and the tie down straps. I got a large clothes sack, a large roll down sack and a large roll top sack. Came out to $200 even... with 9 dollar shipping.

My wife and I can now comfortably pack for a week's vacation including all tenting materials needed... with room to spare!

I had the Givi V-46 case for a few months and liked the convenience of being able to quickly remove the bag, but it didn't hold enough for more than just a weekend. Plus the rack looks like @ss with the Givi topcase removed. Gary's looks like stock equipment to the casual passer-by. It's a good setup.

I'll let you know how everything goes in a couple weeks when I'm back from my July 1-10 roadtrip with my wife.

Something to think about... & you may not care about this... anything packed on the rack is behind the axle. You know the rule of thumb about packing behind the axle, right? It makes the bike a wee bit top heavy as if this bike isn't top heavy enough.

I have a Givi trunk & am careful about packing it heavy. My biggest amount of weight is in the saddlebags.

'Tis just my opinion... but something to think about.

This is meets the "keep it low and compact" rule and looks great:

https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/tanji.html

Dean putting the custom fuel cell tight behind him with the givi on top. I would not want the fuel cell, just some sort of extra storage or a Givi hard topcase custom made for that passenger seat area. A back pad on the Givi at the right height or adjustable and flexible would be a plus. getting on and off the bike would be a learning experience for me as i seem to be swinging my size 11 steel toe boots everywhere.

or as seen on dougc :

PA270115.sized.jpg

I have a Givi V46 and I really like the convenience of having a secure place to throw things like my wife's purse, sunglasses, etc. You can also fit a lot of stuff in there if you want. They advertize that it will hold 2 full face helmets. It will but it's a really tight fit and they have to be in there just right. Always a battle.

The V46 is too close for comfort, e.g., it's mounted too far forward. I had to make a baseplate to move it back 2".

I have a Givi V46 and I really like the convenience of having a secure place to throw things like my wife's purse, sunglasses, etc. You can also fit a lot of stuff in there if you want. They advertize that it will hold 2 full face helmets. It will but it's a really tight fit and they have to be in there just right. Always a battle.
The V46 is too close for comfort, e.g., it's mounted too far forward. I had to make a baseplate to move it back 2".
can you discuss in greater detail how you did this trick of moving it back 2 inches? Now what would be cool is the ability for the passenger to adjust the case foward and back 2 inches during the ride...hmmm...

Just keep in mind that, in addition to anything behind the axel makes things more top heavy, it also adds leverage to the weight when swinging it through turns. I learned this years ago when I put a small plastic trunk on my RE5. I had to fabricate a luggage rack for it and I made sure it was far enough back for a pillion to be comfortable. I used the trunk for text books, probably 20 -30 pounds. I got a noticeable swaying feeling from having that weight hanging out back. It was most noticeable on sweeping curves on the freeway.

Just keep in mind that, in addition to anything behind the axel makes things more top heavy, it also adds leverage to the weight when swinging it through turns. I learned this years ago when I put a small plastic trunk on my RE5. I had to fabricate a luggage rack for it and I made sure it was far enough back for a pillion to be comfortable. I used the trunk for text books, probably 20 -30 pounds. I got a noticeable swaying feeling from having that weight hanging out back. It was most noticeable on sweeping curves on the freeway.
Yes, excellent point.

Yamaha specifically and rather sternly recommends that people NOT use the sidebags and top case concurrently. Apparently this is mostly because of the likelihood that people might exceed weight limits. However, I assume it is also because of weight distribution issues.

I think the advice to load heavy stuff low and as close to the bike is good advice, so for those of us that will use sidebags and top cases cuncurrently there are a few things to take into consideration.