two up riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfixall101

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone finds the suspension sags alot when your two up and if there are any suggestions. I don't ride two up alot but when I do I would rather not have to fight with it.

Just wondering if anyone finds the suspension sags alot when your two up and if there are any suggestions. I don't ride two up alot but when I do I would rather not have to fight with it.
Yup. Even one up with my, erm, heft. I tried losing weight but finally bought the Penske shock and rebuilt the forks during the group buy. Haven' had a chance to test it.

What I did was ride a lot slower and put more weight on the pegs by getting my butt off the saddle in turns, but that is not a great long-term solution on the FJR.

Have you got the preload on the "heavy" setting? The stock shock isn't great if you are loaded down.

I have played with all the adjustments I have it set the best it will go for my situation, it still seems a little lacking. I have been on a goldwing for the past 7 years so I'm very familiar with suspension issues.

I wasn't sure if it were me or the bike.

More than half of my riding is done with the wife on back. Luckily we both are not very, uh , large. The "Hard" setting seems fine for us, but I would guess that if you and your passenger and any luggage start tipping the scales over 350-375 lbs the "hard" setting is not hard enough.

This is common on most sportbikes, and ST's, as they are not really built for two up riding..even though they have the accomidations. A 800 lb Goldwing is not going to be effected as much as this is something they worked into the design...(riding with passenger and luggage)

I always just figured anybike is not going to handle the same when you add on a passenger and I just alter my style to suit the conditions..........

KM

I'm 215 and she is 130 (maybe). I'm not sure even with the stock suspension on the wing (as bad as the stock suspension is) it sagged as much as the Fjr.

Not to mention I'm carrying no luggage.

By the way cool pic

Try tweaking the rebound dampenins setting. I am 170 and my wife is...well, let's just say that our total load capacity is close you yours.

It's still a little soft, but not so bad that I'm considering plopping down big bucks for an aftermarket shock.

Now, when we are fully loaded (topcase, and saddle bags full) it is definately mooooshy, but I don't expect too much under those conditions.

I notice a little with out a passenger. but I have an 04 with 35k and looking to replace my rear suspension with an aftermarket one this spring

Yep. 2 up the bike sags quite a bit. I have hit the center stand a few times in corners. I did the group buy upgrade and fornt forks too this winter. Cna't wait to see the difference. Unfortunately it is expensive, but probably the only way to correct teh problem. I have seen wehere many on the forum have done one end one yaear and the other the next.

I'm 215 and she is 130 (maybe). I'm not sure even with the stock suspension on the wing (as bad as the stock suspension is) it sagged as much as the Fjr. Not to mention I'm carrying no luggage.

By the way cool pic

Well that adds up to 345..close enough to 350 where you'd notice a diffrence. There is only two preload settings in the rear "Hard" and "Soft", so you are kinda stuck there. Not sure if the stock spring can be replaced with a bit stiffer one, or if there is any easy way to get a bit more preload.

As this is a street bike and not an offroader...you really don't need alot of rear travel in the rear, so if the rear sags more with a passenger, you should be fine anyway, as long as your not bottoming out over larger bumps in the road.

Being a bit short in the inseam, I enjoy the fact that both feet can flat foot the ground with my wife on back..(solo I can't get both heels down)

I had tried to change my avitar awhile back but got complaints, so the sword lady is back and will remain...

KM

Group buy and what do you mean expensive?
There was on this winter that is already over for suspension upgrades with GP Suspension. This will give you an idea of what it is about. Clicky Usually these type happen late fall or early winter.

By expensive, I got he rear Penske at about $980 and had the front forks rebuilt, sprung and valved for about $600. The group buy saved me about 10%. Keep your eye out for them. There is opne currently going until the end of the month for a Heli top mount for your triple tree. It is a good price.

:clapping:

I'm laughing because I feel fortunate enough to have found the perfect woman, but there has been 1 0r 2 times in the past 30 years I should have gone to the corner of the attic. :rolleyes:

Glenn

You should be able to get a spring upgrade at www.epmperf.com. The OEM spring is linear rated at 84 N/mm and the aftermarket spring is 107 N/mm. If my conversion factor memory serves me, this converts to roughly 425 #/" and 540#/" respectively. This option will allow you to keep the hi-lo selector. The springs are around $125. You can send in the OEM assembly or find a shock shop to perform the conversion. Your local dealer also might be equipped to perform the 'remove and replace' service for you.

From that which I have read on this board (depending on the model), the skill/patience factor for removal and replacement of the shock falls somewhere between easy and a frontal lobotomy.

That reminds me, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Last edited by a moderator: