Valve Adj. Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjroamer

Reaction score
Curious here as to how many bikes valves were within specs at first adjustment.

At what mileage were they first checked? (obviously, rebuilt "tickers" get this done anyways)

model yr. of bike ???

My 05 non ABS was checked at 26K and no adjustments were required. I know that thet were checked as Yamaha of Cucamonga is one shop that does what it says and charged you for.

2004 Model. At 26K Everything was within specs. No adjustments necessary !

Results at 52K ? Same thing, Everything in specs. No adjustments necessary!

I did have 2 exhaust valves loose .001" clearance on the #2 cylinder. And on the intake side 1 valve on #3 cylinder tightned up .001" and both valves on #4 lost .001" each.

I was very pleased with this as I wasn't looking forward to removing cams to change shims. I do think this will change however at the 78K valve check.............John

Going to have my 3rd valve clearance check done this coming Wednesday. No adjustments needed so far. With some luck it will pass this time as well. The bike 2014ES has 56K miles. I'm curious to know it you think valve adjustments have relationship to riding habits? I realize this may be affected by things such as infrequent use, slow low rpm riding and lack of fuel additives to clean out carbon build up. I am not a engine lugger and I use ring free and Sea Foam regularly. I do not rev engine above 3,500 rpm going through the gears. I have never run the engine up to red-line. Do you think this type riding has any affect on valve clearances?? Thanks.

Do you think this type riding has any affect on valve clearances??
Don't know for sure but I would expect somewhat less wear if you aren't running high RPM or accelerating quickly...?
Have you read some of the stuff in the thread I referenced above? No adjustments needed at 56,000 miles isn't that unusual. At the first check for my 2007, all my exhaust valves were near the middle of the range and I never had to adjust any of them in 185,000 miles. Intake valves were near the limit on the tight side at my first check but changed very slowly - one intake was below spec at just under 100,000 miles so I adjusted all of the intakes to the loose side of the middle of the range. I maintain my bikes regularly and don't (usually) ride with a heavy hand on the throttle.

Don't know for sure but I would expect somewhat less wear if you aren't running high RPM or accelerating quickly...?
Have you read some of the stuff in the thread I referenced above? No adjustments needed at 56,000 miles isn't that unusual. At the first check for my 2007, all my exhaust valves were near the middle of the range and I never had to adjust any of them in 185,000 miles. Intake valves were near the limit on the tight side at my first check but changed very slowly - one intake was below spec at just under 100,000 miles so I adjusted all of the intakes to the loose side of the middle of the range. I maintain my bikes regularly and don't (usually) ride with a heavy hand on the throttle.

Thanks for the insightful reply. Yes, I read the entire thread and most of the nine or so pages of the topic on file. Don't recall any remarks about riding style and valve adjustment needs in the past posts. I'll post the findings after this check. Thanks again.

What you need to know is…. How close any were to being out of spec. At last check . ???? That will help you make decision

My '08 was good up until 80,000, then 5 had to be adjusted (2 were below minimum and 3 were on minimum), its up to 140,000 now with no further adjustments required.
My '15 was checked at 55,000, no adjustments needed.

I just did the first valve clearance check on my 2006 AE at 67,000 miles, all in spec. Intakes were all 0.006” and one was 0.007”. Exhausts were all 0.009” except two were 0.008”.

First (26k miles) and second (53k miles) checks here - no adjustment required.

I did help another member here who had a 2007 with 75k miles. He bought the bike with the valves just done and both cams were off by a tooth. The bike ran like crap. Took us a while to figure out the issue, so be careful when it goes back together.

Last edited: