Valve Check and Adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrider

Reaction score
I live in Central Caslifornia near Fresno. Will soon be time, actually past time for the first valve check and/or adjustment. Do any others in the Fresno area have a dealer to recommend or one to stay away from?

If you have had the valves done did they need to be adjusted at the first check, 26,000 milesor were they still in the correct range?

What was the price the dealer charged?

From what I see my choices are, Wilsons or Clausons in Fresno or D&E in Visalia.

Thanks for any help in this.

Longrider

my 05(non-ticker) was dead on at 27k dealer check, no adjustment needed, throttle bodies required some slight adjustment. cost was about 600.00 for the 26k checkup. IMHO, I would not waste my money if the engine is running good and you have not noticed any strange rumbles in engine nor had any significant change in performance or mpg. Just my opinion and others may feel that it is necessary. :assasin:

I will have my dealer do the valve check at the 24000 mile service next month. It's part of my 3 year prepaid plan that the dealer is losing a bunch of money on, so why not? I won't go in for a special trip at 26K.

From what I remember reading in the past, many folks didn't have to do an adjustment at this time.

Can't help you with finding a Cal dealer, but, heck, you're only an Iron Butt easy day away from Sunnyside Motorcycle in Washington State. They did a comprehensive 26K service for $290 labor (5 hrs) and about $90 parts. No valve adjustments were needed at this time, and they mentioned up front it is very rare to need it at this stage.

BTW, they included a clutch fluid, brake fluid and coolant swap, oil change and TBS, spark plug swap (NGK-iridiums) and and really checked over the bike for that price. Highly recommended! I also had them do the swing arm service and lube all linkages, also overdue, that was $145 labor (2.5 hrs).

To keep the Y.E.S. warranty in effect, I believe you will have to do this (valve) service, needed or not. In light of some bikes with tick problems, I'd venture it is worth getting the valves checked just for the sake of warranty. If no warranty, you could probably slide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not waste my money if the engine is running good and you have not noticed any strange rumbles in engine nor had any significant change in performance or mpg.
If you believe this, then there is no reason to do oil changes either until you notice "strange rumbles". Both valve checks and oil changes are called preventative maintenance for a reason.

- Mark

I live in Central Caslifornia near Fresno. Will soon be time, actually past time for the first valve check and/or adjustment. Do any others in the Fresno area have a dealer to recommend or one to stay away from?
I would run, not walk, from Clawson's. They've probably only seen one FJR (mine) and they couldn't even get it into the shop without banging it up. The service manager's a card-carrying dickhead. Don't know about Wilson's or D&E. How near Fresno are you? I'm in Clovis. When the time comes, I'll be heading for Sunnyside to do my 26K service. Trust no one (else).

Checking the valve clearance is not too big of a job. I haven't done it on the FJR yet, but have on other bikes. It gets more complicated if you have to actually change the shims because then you have to mess with the cams. You will find a very comprehensive procedure at Adjusting the valve clearance

I've had a 16 year relationship with Wilsons Motorcycles and haven't had a problem. All mechanical work is pricey but they have always treated me well. My experience with Clausen has been sored for a very long time and I, for one, would go out of town before I went to them.

You will find a very comprehensive procedure at Adjusting the valve clearance

IMHO, I would not waste my money if the engine is running good and you have not noticed any strange rumbles in engine nor had any significant change in performance or mpg. Just my opinion and others may feel that it is necessary.
I should like to point out that if your bike ever develops the infamous TICK, then it is to your great benefit if you have a maintenance record showing that the required valve checks have been done at the appropriate intervals.

When I photographed the procedure on the above Micapeak link, my 03 only had one shim that was too tight. 40,000 kms later no further shims needed changing. But that doesn't mean it's not a good idea to check them anyway and I know of other FJRs that have needed several shims changed. So I will continue to check them every 40,000kms. Just my 2¢.

I live close to the mountains just East of Fresno, out Highway 180.

Checking with the local dealers I found this:

Clausons said 7.5 to 8.5 hours for $562 to $675

Wilsons said 3 hours for $210

D&E said 3 hours for $240

All were parts, etc extra on the quote price.

I see what you were saying about Clausons

Longrider

If you have the tools and know how to change the spark plugs you probably would not have that much difficulty in removing the valve cover and "checking" the valve clearances yourself (and there seems to be about a 90 percent chance the clearances will be fine). If any are out of spec you can put it back together and take it to a dealership and let them pull the cams and replace the shims. If you have the means to trailer the FJR to a dealership then all the better, leave the valve cover off, let them adjust the valves, and then you can put it back together. Most good mechanics prefer to work on engines rather than taking non-engine components apart and putting them back together and will only charge you for the actual time they spend on your bike. The only downside is that you can't have a TBS performed at the same time unless they do the reassembly.

Anyone had experience with Powerhouse in Paso Robles? I hear they have 4-star mechanic running the service dept.