Valve check, PAIRS blank off, and clever CCT replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harper

Which side is the brake on?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Seattle, WA : floating down the atmospheric river
I wisely went over to see audiowize today to perform a valve check and to do some other service. If you haven't done any work with Paul, you're really missing out. He's a truly talented guy. My 2006 with 27000 miles had the old style CCT and still had a PAIRS system. We removed the necessary fairing sections, seats, gas tank, heat shield, coolant pipe, valve cover, timing chain cover, and plugs without a manual, just using Paul's memory. Handy, that. We drained the coolant and oil and removed the oil filter.

Doing the valve check we found one valve to be out of spec...too loose. This was exhaust 1-1 which had a 182 shim that we replaced with a 185 shim. Paul had a full set of shims as well as an extensive collection of vacuum tubes. All valves are now within spec.

Replacing the CCT was brutal.The lower bolt from the CCT was extremely difficult to remove. Paul ground down an 8mm socket to fit in a ridiculously tight space to finally get the bolt broken loose and then we tried a number of techniques to fully unscrew it. It took a long time to get it out. As my only clever suggestion for the entire day, when we installed the new CCT we took a hack saw and slotted the lower bolt head. There is a small access slot through the frame allowing one to adjust the CCT with a screwdriver. The lower bolt can also be reached with a screwdriver from that port. It was infinitely easier to re-install that bolt when slotted. Replacing the lower hex-head bolt with a RH Phillips should be considered if you do this upgrade.

I removed and threw away the ridiculous PAIRS system and replaced it with the blank-off plates I bought from WynPro. Thanks for producing that extremely clean blank off system at an affordable price, David.

New plugs, new oil and filter, new coolant...OOPS...the coolant jug I brought over wasn't 50-50 Prestone. It was a 50-50 Prestone jug filled with water of unknown purity. Fortunately Paul had some 50-50 Honda coolant that was blue and matched my bike color. Saved my bacon again.

Thanks, Paul. This is a great forum community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you two had a good time with the valve and maintenance work, congrats.

Audiowise is a good guy for sure!

--G

If you are talking about the lower CCT bolt with the 8 mm hex, best to take a wrench, cut it so it is something like 2" long (or use an ignition wrench). Access it from underneath and there is swing room with your short wrench. You should be able to access the middle 10mm one from above, it is a PITA too, but shouldn't be awful. Yes to slotting all the new bolts......... glad you got it all buttoned up.

Last edited by a moderator: