Virginia FJR riders Group

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a couple of choices. Rte 56 let's out in Vesuvius (eventually)... but Raphine is just a hop skip & jump from there. The truck stop right there on I-81 has really decent food. It'll end up being close to lunchtime by the time we would get there. Should work out well. Either that, or cruise into Buena Vista straight down 60. There are places there. I usually hit the Subway & then cruise up 29 and hit the best part of 56.
So, what is the routing? Meet @ Duckies, take 56 into Raphine & then what? Go north to 250 or south on 256 to 39 thru Goshen Pass? Or some other idea.

I ask because I'd like to throw together a route on my GPS software.

Did you already find Duck's corner? It is right at the corner of 56 & 60 west of Richmond.

Camping is ok but cabins would be MUCH, MUCH easier. Even a cheap hotel is ok with me. That might even be better. We could find a place close to restaurants & such.
My original route had us ending up on 39, so I would be game for going that way. It would be south on 252 though, right?

Google maps - https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....87204&z=10

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent an email late last night to Rifrafters about the cabins. BTW what do you consider "cheap" for a hotle. I am looking at that option this morning too.

252 is correct. Going by memory doesn't always do me great. By far, I have found that the southern end of WV has better riding than the north end. BUT... there are a few folks that would beg to differ with my take on it. I have yet to see it. To be fair, I have not ridden the northern end as much as the southern.

I am going to give Jim Meadows (spklbuk) a call this evening. He just got home from riding a lot. Not so sure he'd be up for joining us... but will ask regardless. Cannot imagine being near him & NOT contacting him.

Jim is in Crawley, WV.

Oh, BTW... for sure, I will take a look at some roads. Once off of 39 there are a couple of options. Let me take a look tonight.

Cheap hotel... I don't know... under 50ish or 60ish bucks? We probably wouldn't find anything cheaper than that. I'd expect that there are other cabin options in the area, also.

Cheap hotel... I don't know... under 50ish or 60ish bucks? We probably wouldn't find anything cheaper than that. I'd expect that there are other cabin options in the area, also.
Cheapest I have been able to locate so far is $79. Still have not heard from Rifrafters. How many cabins/rooms? Any sharing? If you look at the website it shows what tha cabin accomodations are.

wow, $79.00 isn't a deal... that's for sure! I'd love to share a room/cabin... whatever. Still waiting to hear from my Va Beach peeps. I know that if Sharon goes, her & will likely split a room. Not sure if Jay minds.

Pretty sure that Ingo isn't much of a room splitter type.

Best Western in Summersville has rooms starting @ 55.00. Reviews are pretty ok, too. All semi-bad comments are about the breakfast... which really doesn't bother me much. I do not expect the world from a continental breakfast.

$55 sounds a lot more reasonable. But, I am also open to split a room at this point. Bad cont. breakfast doesn't other me either if I have a choice.

I'm not much for spending a boatload of money, either. Ya' know, they have rollaways & we are allowed to stuff 3 people in a room if it turns out that we have 3 folk. Bob is 2 up & I expect that he won't be looking to roomshare.

Anyway, I am pretty open... but think that I'd rather not camp. Setup and teardown for 1 night is such a PIA.

Best Western in Summersville has rooms starting @ 55.00. Reviews are pretty ok, too. All semi-bad comments are about the breakfast... which really doesn't bother me much. I do not expect the world from a continental breakfast.
At $55 we need to pull the trigger. Cabins are out at Rifrafters. Where do you see availability there? Best western sight says nothing Sat. Night.

I didn't actually look at availability. Was looking at prices... doh!

I'll take another look. How about Beckley? There are quite a few places around there?

Hillcrest Motel in Fayetteville has 2 rooms left. 1 double bed in each room. $40.00 per night... if you want a rollaway bed it is $50.00 a night. Not near ANY food, though. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Upon further investigation, I am finding several state parks that have cabin openings. Look at this link. Not sure how parking or roads are... but there appears to be several.

Beckley doesn't matter to me. there isn't a lot of food choices in F'ville, but I was serious about the pizza place. (Pies and Pints) It really is good. Certainly accomodations have to take priority.

Upon further investigation, I am finding several state parks that have cabin openings. Look at this link. Not sure how parking or roads are... but there appears to be several.
Just called Babcock and they do not do nightly rentals during the summer season. Looking more like hotel. The tent option is still out there. Rifrafters again. They have sites available for Sat. Just called.

There is always the ol' standby in Lewisburg known as the Brier Inn... Home of EOM '07 & '08... Good accomodations at a decent price. I am sure that rooms will be in the 70-75 dollar range, but that is not so bad if we are sharing.

There is a restaurant on premises that has very good food... or a Ruby Tuesdays across the parking lot. Oh, do not forget about the Shoneys... if you really consider that to be a restaurant.

Brier Inn has a decent continental breakfast, also.

It is a known & I do recommend it. If we're considering Beckley, I'd rather stay there... about 30 miles east. Ingo & Sharon have both stayed there in the past & I am pretty sure that they'd agree with me.

The Brier Inn is fine with me. Decent rooms with decent food and riding all around.

Heidi, since Bob has already a "roomy," I'd share a room with you if you're OK with that.

There is always the ol' standby in Lewisburg known as the Brier Inn... Home of EOM '07 & '08... Good accomodations at a decent price. I am sure that rooms will be in the 70-75 dollar range, but that is not so bad if we are sharing.
There is a restaurant on premises that has very good food... or a Ruby Tuesdays across the parking lot. Oh, do not forget about the Shoneys... if you really consider that to be a restaurant.

Brier Inn has a decent continental breakfast, also.

It is a known & I do recommend it. If we're considering Beckley, I'd rather stay there... about 30 miles east. Ingo & Sharon have both stayed there in the past & I am pretty sure that they'd agree with me.
Sounds good to me. $82.88 with tax. Do they reefers in the rooms for the PBR? ;)