Virginia FJR riders Group

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, about Rte 56... If you like serious twisties, you will not be disappointed. THat road is on my "A" list. It would also make a good place for us to meet if we wanted to meet at the beginning where it meets rte 60 west of Richmond. Our Powhatan boy would be happy with that since he's right down the road. Offhand, I believe the town is named Buckingham.... & the place that I propose is called Duck's Corner... a little convenience store/gas station.

I will keep up with Sharon to see what her agenda looks like,

Heidi

Bob, about Rte 56... If you like serious twisties, you will not be disappointed. THat road is on my "A" list. It would also make a good place for us to meet if we wanted to meet at the beginning where it meets rte 60 west of Richmond. Our Powhatan boy would be happy with that since he's right down the road. Offhand, I believe the town is named Buckingham.... & the place that I propose is called Duck's Corner... a little convenience store/gas station.
I will keep up with Sharon to see what her agenda looks like,

Heidi
That sounds great! As soon as I get a heads up from everyone that is in we can seal the deal! I will probably be 2 up, so I won't be able to ride real aggressive.

Hey there Bob

Heidi just sent me a link to this thread. I hadn't been on this forum in a while and missed your post.

Ingo is my name and I live in Christiansburg, which is in the New River Valley and close to all sorts of good twisty riding.

Would be a pleasure to meet up with you and the rest of the gang for a ride.

Ingo

Hey there Bob
Heidi just sent me a link to this thread. I hadn't been on this forum in a while and missed your post.

Ingo is my name and I live in Christiansburg, which is in the New River Valley and close to all sorts of good twisty riding.

Ingo
Hey Ingo. Looks like I will tweak the meeting point and trip out just a bit to accomodate where everyone is coming from. the plan is to head to Fayetteville Saturday and back Sunday. All are welcome to join. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Hey there Bob

Ingo
Hey Ingo. Looks like I will tweak the meeting point and trip out just a bit to accomodate where everyone is coming from. the plan is to head to Fayetteville Saturday and back Sunday. All are welcome to join. I look forward to meeting everyone.
Oh and I guess we will have to come up with some kind of BD cake for you thursday! :yahoo:

Hi All, I'm live in Maryland but love riding VA & WV. Can't make the 25th, it is the wifes birthday. But if we setup some kind of contact list I would be interested.

Howdy Nikk,

maybe next time, eh?

Bob, the camp spot that you have proposed looks great to me. My only issue is I'd be more inclined to get provisions at the store & eat at camp if there are grills. Unless we eat on the way in... or something, Gearing back up to ride to a restaurant sucks... especially when I'd rather be drinking a beer.

No alcohol for me while riding.

But of course, I would definitely be with the majority.

That sounds great! As soon as I get a heads up from everyone that is in we can seal the deal! I will probably be 2 up, so I won't be able to ride real aggressive.

no biggie -- if i'm the one who goes on this trip, rather than Jay -- i've only ridden twisties twice (BRP with Heidi, Rt 219 with myself), so i am not going to be "aggressive" either. :blink:

Howdy Nikk,maybe next time, eh?

Bob, the camp spot that you have proposed looks great to me. My only issue is I'd be more inclined to get provisions at the store & eat at camp if there are grills. Unless we eat on the way in... or something, Gearing back up to ride to a restaurant sucks... especially when I'd rather be drinking a beer.

No alcohol for me while riding.

But of course, I would definitely be with the majority.
Well their pizza is awesome! Not sure if they would deliver. I know some people in the area that may be able to help if they don't. There are always options. Eating in is one of them. Supermarket within minutes. We can nail that down when we meet.

Is it Friday yet? B)

Hey there Bob

Ingo
Oh and I guess we will have to come up with some kind of BD cake for you thursday! :yahoo:
Thursday? How did that happen? SATURDAY! :dribble:

Well their pizza is awesome!
Awesome pizza in WV? Oxymoron right there! HAHAHAHA!!!

Just being smart. But really, I expect that we can just work out logistics later. I'll say that for sure, I am in & planning to meet you on Saturday morning.

Just being smart. But really, I expect that we can just work out logistics later. I'll say that for sure, I am in & planning to meet you on Saturday morning.
Well that makes at least two of us! And the pizza is awesome. I was pleasantly surprised.

Well that makes at least two of us! And the pizza is awesome. I was pleasantly surprised.
BTW what time is comfortable for you to meet in the morning?

I figure probably by 10:00 to 10:30, or so. It really depends how far I need to go TO meet, I suppose. We talking Duck's Corner? Think that I can make that one in less than 3 hours.

I'm comfortable with leaving my house by about 7am. I can be to the head of the BRP riding staight up 64 in about 3 hours & 15 minutes or less. That is not having/stopping for any breakfast. If I do this, I'd probably be looking for food soon after we meet up.

Late breakfast or early lunch???

And... forgot to ask You find out anything about the cabins?

Last edited by a moderator:
I figure probably by 10:00 to 10:30, or so. It really depends how far I need to go TO meet, I suppose. We talking Duck's Corner? Think that I can make that one in less than 3 hours.
I'm comfortable with leaving my house by about 7am. I can be to the head of the BRP riding staight up 64 in about 3 hours & 15 minutes or less. That is not having/stopping for any breakfast. If I do this, I'd probably be looking for food soon after we meet up.

Late breakfast or early lunch???

And... forgot to ask You find out anything about the cabins?
Duck's corner at 1000 hrs sounds good. Strap on the feed bag shortly thereafter and we should be good til f'ville. I hadn't called about the cabins yet as I was hoping I would get more firm responses. If cabins aren't available they have plenty of tent sites if that is ok.

It will be close to the same distance for me actually. googgle says 2 hrs 58 mins. , so I will be in the same boat. Are you familiar with any good eats around that area?

We have a couple of choices. Rte 56 let's out in Vesuvius (eventually)... but Raphine is just a hop skip & jump from there. The truck stop right there on I-81 has really decent food. It'll end up being close to lunchtime by the time we would get there. Should work out well. Either that, or cruise into Buena Vista straight down 60. There are places there. I usually hit the Subway & then cruise up 29 and hit the best part of 56.

So, what is the routing? Meet @ Duckies, take 56 into Raphine & then what? Go north to 250 or south on 256 to 39 thru Goshen Pass? Or some other idea.

I ask because I'd like to throw together a route on my GPS software.

Did you already find Duck's corner? It is right at the corner of 56 & 60 west of Richmond.

Camping is ok but cabins would be MUCH, MUCH easier. Even a cheap hotel is ok with me. That might even be better. We could find a place close to restaurants & such.

Heidi

Is Duckies the same spot we met at before for the leaf peeping ride?

I also agree on the cabins, or a cheap motel. Much better logisticswise for me.

Bob

Don't worry about the BD cake, a case of :drinks: PBR will do just fine.

We have a couple of choices. Rte 56 let's out in Vesuvius (eventually)... but Raphine is just a hop skip & jump from there. The truck stop right there on I-81 has really decent food. It'll end up being close to lunchtime by the time we would get there. Should work out well. Either that, or cruise into Buena Vista straight down 60. There are places there. I usually hit the Subway & then cruise up 29 and hit the best part of 56.
So, what is the routing? Meet @ Duckies, take 56 into Raphine & then what? Go north to 250 or south on 256 to 39 thru Goshen Pass? Or some other idea.

I ask because I'd like to throw together a route on my GPS software.

Did you already find Duck's corner? It is right at the corner of 56 & 60 west of Richmond.

Camping is ok but cabins would be MUCH, MUCH easier. Even a cheap hotel is ok with me. That might even be better. We could find a place close to restaurants & such.
I have not ridden in that area at all, so if you want go ahead and map it out. Doesn't really matter to me. I will firm up the lodging issue in the morning.

I did find Duck's Corner. Intersection of 56 & 60 makes it pretty easy.

As far as the eats go I am not picky either. What ever works best with the route we take.

HeidiIs Duckies the same spot we met at before for the leaf peeping ride?

I also agree on the cabins, or a cheap motel. Much better logisticswise for me.

Bob

Don't worry about the BD cake, a case of :drinks: PBR will do just fine.
I'll pick it up when we get to F'ville. B)